Proposal Ring - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonleelk

Master Member
Reaction score
You can say all Super ideal cut, Ideal cut, bad triple exc are all triple exc diamonds. But not all triple exc are Super ideal or Ideal cuts.

You see this video explanation

Good video! Saw it when I was sourcing for my diamond, but now after learning through the sourcing experience, watching the video again gives a new discovery.

If I will to summarise for the newbies:

Normal triple ex : ASET will have light leakage
Ideal Cut : ASET no light leakage, but proportions not Super Ideal
Super Ideal Cut : ASET no light leakage + Super Ideal proportions = heavy burst of rainbows under natural sunlight.

jonleelk

Master Member
Reaction score
I think it’s ex
Past JP sic n ideal quotes

0.60 E, VS1, $5400
0.60 D VS1 $5300
0.62 E VVS2 $5600
0.80 G VS1 $5700 (ideal)

Shops in Paragon and Ion Orchard ... expected.

Or should I say ... JP SICs are not overly marked up just because they are SIC.

Last edited:

TheBurden

Reaction score
Hi all, has been reading for the past few days, im proposing soon in Nov.
Hence, needed some help for all the masters here to look for a suitable stone in BG. There's too many stones in there.... and im not sure which 1 to choose...

Budget for stone is around $3k ish max
With setting max maybe $4k ish? (she hinted that she dont mind a gold setting or setting with small diamonds on the sides)
Size wise, she will like it to be around 0.6 and above (best if i can get a 0.616ct cuz this number meant something to us)
Colour and clarity wise, im not so sure. if im going for the gold setting so colour shouldnt matter so much right?

Greatly appreciate if any master could help me thru in this process of life. Thank you very much in advance!!

ThiamWan

Reaction score
Hence, needed some help for all the masters here to look for a suitable stone in BG. There's too many stones in there.... and im not sure which 1 to choose...

With setting max maybe $4k ish? (she hinted that she dont mind a gold setting or setting with small diamonds on the sides)
Size wise, she will like it to be around 0.6 and above (best if i can get a 0.616ct cuz this number meant something to us)
Colour and clarity wise, im not so sure. if im going for the gold setting so colour shouldnt matter so much right?

Greatly appreciate if any master could help me thru in this process of life. Thank you very much in advance!!

Gold as in yellow gold setting? Very few ppl do yellow gold but it can get away with a lower color. You can probably even consider the J K L M colors for yellow gold.

jonleelk

Master Member
Reaction score

Like u ... I was searching for a stone with a specific ct recently, so I 100% understand what you are feeling. Good news is that it is available, but u need to up your budget if u want a good 0.616 SIC stone.

BKAGS-104105318087-ASET.jpg

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...round-diamond-bkags-104105318087#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

But if u really wanna keep within the S$3k budget, this 0.606 SIC:

CAGS-104100263047-ASET.jpg

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...round-diamond-ags-c-104100263047#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/1/

Last edited:

defghijsg

Banned
Reaction score
Hi defghijsg, does this apply to the Octagon too or only round shapes? How did you get the video of your diamond?

It applies to all diamonds with hearts n arrows. The lower the LGH the thicker the arrows, which will get bigger fire.
I asked for some video comparison with the 2 diamonds I picked and they did those videos for me. I guess you can request them directly for it.

TheBurden

Reaction score
Gold as in yellow gold setting? Very few ppl do yellow gold but it can get away with a lower color. You can probably even consider the J K L M colors for yellow gold.

yellow gold sir, hence i was wondering do i really need to get a high colour range. felt abit wasted on the yellow gold setting:s11:

TheBurden

Reaction score
Like u ... I was searching for a stone with a specific ct recently, so I 100% understand what you are feeling. Good news is that it is available, but u need to up your budget if u want a good 0.616 SIC stone.

But if u really wanna keep within the S$3k budget, this 0.606 SIC:

thanks for your help sir!

i saw the .616, but the price difference for 0.01 is huge!! :eek::eek:

jonleelk

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for your help sir!

i saw the .616, but the price difference for 0.01 is huge!! :eek::eek:

Colour and clarity determine the price. D-VS2 vs I-SI1.

Both should be SIC equivalent, thus won't see too different after mounting on a ring.

It all depends on whether the "616" (Jun-16?) is worth the S$1.5k premium or not ... which I feel is worth for sentimental reasons.

Last edited:

briantanhuat

Reaction score
Both diamonds have feathers across the girdles.. a big no no for me.
Or you can do this kind of bezel settings to protect it from chipping.

yellow-gold-unique-bezel-diamond-ring-0-75ct-round-cut-brilliant-cut-10085457539.jpg

TheBurden

Reaction score
Both diamonds have feathers across the girdles.. a big no no for me.
Or you can do this kind of bezel settings to protect it from chipping.

how do i identify the "feathers"? Got feathers = easier to chip?
gosh.. imagine the diamond chipped! :eek::eek:

TheBurden

Reaction score

Both should be SIC equivalent, thus won't see too different after mounting on a ring.

It all depends on whether the "616" (Jun-16?) is worth the S$1.5k premium or not ... which I feel is worth for sentimental reasons.

yup, June 16. heart pain.... or should you suggest i go HOH?

briantanhuat

Reaction score
how do i identify the "feathers"? Got feathers = easier to chip?
gosh.. imagine the diamond chipped! :eek::eek:

Its on the cert. It will have the inclusion type and show where the inclusion is at. The certificate show that both diamond got feather inclusions and on the edges part of the diamond.

Feather inclusion itself is ok as long as its internal. Its a soft word for crack. When the crack is inside, its ok and wont worsen. But if the crack reaches the the surface, any impact on it will have the possibility to chip or worsen the existing crack. Its like a ticking time bomb waiting to happen.

Reaction score
It applies to all diamonds with hearts n arrows. The lower the LGH the thicker the arrows, which will get bigger fire.
I asked for some video comparison with the 2 diamonds I picked and they did those videos for me. I guess you can request them directly for it.

Yep. I asked them for it already. This is mine :)

TheBurden

Reaction score
Its on the cert. It will have the inclusion type and show where the inclusion is at. The certificate show that both diamond got feather inclusions and on the edges part of the diamond.

Feather inclusion itself is ok as long as its internal. Its a soft word for crack. When the crack is inside, its ok and wont worsen. But if the crack reaches the the surface, any impact on it will have the possibility to chip or worsen the existing crack. Its like a ticking time bomb waiting to happen.

i did some readings, the feathers are scary... i wont want my hard earn $$$ to chip. Any recommendations?

does SIC diamonds = more blink?

Miltah

Reaction score
i did some readings, the feathers are scary... i wont want my hard earn $$$ to chip. Any recommendations?

Fear of feathers is abit exaggerated.

U need to evaluate each stone.
The D color is a VS2 of which the feather is NOT the grade setting inclusion.
Versus in the SI1 the feather is.

The reason to go online is the bigger inventory compared to JP.
I have no issue buying the BGD Black but I would not in this case not because of the feather but rather the premium on the color.

TheBurden

Reaction score
Fear of feathers is abit exaggerated.

U need to evaluate each stone.
The D color is a VS2 of which the feather is NOT the grade setting inclusion.
Versus in the SI1 the feather is.

The reason to go online is the bigger inventory compared to JP.
I have no issue buying the BGD Black but I would not in this case not because of the feather but rather the premium on the color.

Hi shifu, so meaning to say the VS2 grading is not because of the feather? And you wont get the 616 cuz I will be paying premium for the higher colour grading which is of no value to me? Am I right?

Hopefully you can give me some recommendation
🙏🙏🙏🙏

Miltah

Reaction score
Hi shifu, so meaning to say the VS2 grading is not because of the feather? And you wont get the 616 cuz I will be paying premium for the higher colour grading which is of no value to me? Am I right?

Hopefully you can give me some recommendation
🙏🙏🙏🙏

It is not that the feather wasn’t impt. It’s just that the more serious inclusion was the crystal followed by the feather.

In general each drop in color is 6-9% cheaper. More discounts with the lower colors. Similar for each clarity drop. So imagine instead of D you picked an I color. That’s a 5 color grade drop. That could be 30-40% discount.

Since u using yellow gold, why pay the premium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.