Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

Phases

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For my living/dining room (pic below - circled in yellow )
Should I go for :
1) 2 x 9,000 btu, or
2) 1 x 9,000 btu and 1 x 12,000 btu, or
3) 1 x 18,000 btu (single split) ?

YccPLXi.jpg

2 x 9k (on wall surface 1 and 2) better if you want fast cooling. no need 9k plus 12k as it is similar to room size.

single 18k will take longer time to cool the furthest corner unless you install a fan to help circulate.

Posted from PCWX using dog walk volunteer needed, pm me

Last edited:

Phases

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, my 10 yrs old Panasonic a/c needs servicing am thinking whether to change a new a/c. This a/c is trouble free just yearly need servicing. Thanks.

got to depend how much you paid for yearly servicing. if it is very little think just keep using to breakdown beyond economical repair as long there is no sweating, severe gas pressure lost and any issue which affects performance or operating cost.

what you can do is to open trucking to inspect the condition of the insulation, if started to disintegrating then may be time to change.

Last edited:

craigchua

Reaction score
My advice is best not to place any aircon above tv unless u installed a plank or something above the tv to block any water coming down from aircon in case of leaking.

Also, better get a higher btu rating than just normal 2x9k btu for living room+Dining area cos it’s not just 1 single room individually, it’s an open area together and with more ppl. Not a room with 1 or 2 ppl inside.

Last edited:

Phases

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My advice is best not to place any aircon above tv unless u installed a plank or something above the tv to block any water coming down from aircon in case of leaking.

Also, better get a higher btu rating than just normal 2x9k btu for living room+Dining area cos it’s not just 1 single room individually, it’s an open area together and with more ppl. Not a room with 1 or 2 ppl inside.

good point on the possible sweating above tv.

larger fcu only cost slight more (about 200-300 a unit), from 9k to 18k but i feel may not really necessary as cooling effect and speed should be good enough unless there is intention to only switch on one unit (which i overlooked earlier) like watch tv or dinning instead of both.

iceblendedchoc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One of my daikin compressors stopped working and oh boy it is a problematic compressor with 2 pcb replacements over 2 years now (warranty is over). R22 gas model. It is a system 1 x 2 compressor.

Is it better for me to get system 1 x 2 compressor to cool two rooms or stick to a system 2?

The rooms are small. A tv room and a study room.

senocs

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the very useful inputs on my earlier question on air-con sizing and position of placement.

The next question (and which may be a tricky one to answer because it's difficult to differentiate between a recommendation and an 'advertisement') is if there any recommendations from you guys for an air-con vendor/installer other than the usual electronics superstore type like Gaincity/Courts/Harvey Norman/Best Denki ?

I have contacted the following vendors:
  • Harvest Aire
  • Air Con Citi
  • Air Connection
  • Coolserv

Prices vary between same price as Gaincity/Courts/Harvey Norman/Best Denki and $500-600 cheaper than Gaincity/Courts/Harvey Norman/Best Denki. However, there seems to be varying levels of service.

Any other recommendations please ? thanks.

craigchua

Reaction score
One of my daikin compressors stopped working and oh boy it is a problematic compressor with 2 pcb replacements over 2 years now (warranty is over). R22 gas model. It is a system 1 x 2 compressor.

Is it better for me to get system 1 x 2 compressor to cool two rooms or stick to a system 2?

The rooms are small. A tv room and a study room.
Your aircon should be replaced since it’s old n problematic.
All new aircon only has 1 compressor. Just a system 2 will be enough for your case.

craigchua

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the very useful inputs on my earlier question on air-con sizing and position of placement.

The next question (and which may be a tricky one to answer because it's difficult to differentiate between a recommendation and an 'advertisement') is if there any recommendations from you guys for an air-con vendor/installer other than the usual electronics superstore type like Gaincity/Courts/Harvey Norman/Best Denki ?

I have contacted the following vendors:
  • Harvest Aire
  • Air Con Citi
  • Air Connection
  • Coolserv

Prices vary between same price as Gaincity/Courts/Harvey Norman/Best Denki and $500-600 cheaper than Gaincity/Courts/Harvey Norman/Best Denki. However, there seems to be varying levels of service.

Any other recommendations please ? thanks.
If u are planning to get extended warranty, go with gain city. They are the biggest retailer with extended warranty.
If not getting it, just any contractor u think is good.

blurkinz

Reaction score
1 told me the unit (MXY4G33VA2) 10 + 10 + 10 +13 (living room) will be sufficient and another told me (MXY4G38VA2)10 + 10 + 13 (master bedroom) + 24 (living room).

Sorry, now got another offer
MXY3G28VA
XMSXYFN10VE (Bedroom 2)
XMSXYFN10VE (Bedroom 3)
XMSXYFN13VE (Master Bedroom)

MUYGN24VA
MSY-GN24VA (Living Room)

Is this feasible comparing to earlier option?

Phases

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry, now got another offer
MXY3G28VA
XMSXYFN10VE (Bedroom 2)
XMSXYFN10VE (Bedroom 3)
XMSXYFN13VE (Master Bedroom)

MUYGN24VA
MSY-GN24VA (Living Room)

Is this feasible comparing to earlier option?

provided you are allow to install 2 compressors for your home

do you turn on one unit mostly or two units (one living room plus any bedroom)? if mostly 2units, meaning you will be running 2 compressors thus operating cost should be slightly higher compares to single compressor, i believe and it also depends on number of hours you intend to run everyday, longer the usage cost difference will be more.

i live alone and intending to ac 3 bedrooms plus 2 halls thus planning to hv 2 units of compressors since i only switch on 1 ac at a time, using a single big compressor meant for 5rooms for cooling a room, electricity waste will be higher.

Last edited:

craigchua

Reaction score
Really all depending on how u use.
My setup same as u, but previous version. 2 compressor. 1 for all rooms, 1 for living.
My family uses quite often in the living room after office hrs.
For the rooms, sometimes use at the same time depending on weather.
So 2 compressor is good in this way.

Reaction score
For my living/dining room (pic below - circled in yellow )
Should I go for :
1) 2 x 9,000 btu, or
2) 1 x 9,000 btu and 1 x 12,000 btu, or
3) 1 x 18,000 btu (single split) ?

YccPLXi.jpg

3 x 9,000 btu at 3 6 7, 7 can cool the living or dining. or 2 6 7.

4 x 9,000 btu at 1 2 3 6. or 1 2 6 7.

craigchua

Reaction score
Wow. U need your place to be very cold? 3 units is more than enough. Normally ppl put 2 units, 1 each in each area.

Reaction score
MXY-4G33VA2
4 units of 9,000 btu each fancoil gets 5.288 btu, total 21,154 rated btu, similar to a 24,000 unit.

MXY-3G28VA2
3 units of 9,000 btu, 6,482 btu x 3, total 19,448 rated btu, similar to a 22,000 unit.

3 or 4 units set fan speed to lowest 1 bar or quiet mode speed feels like central aircon no draft and silent.

3000kmh

Reaction score
Hi guys. Need some advise. Currently am using Mitsubishi heavy industry aircon system 3.

For the past 7 years, have repaired it for a few times. First time was gas leak. Discover that it is on the aircon piping. Second time , a nut burst open , causing all the air leak.
Last Monday , both my rooms blowing just fan. No cold air . Technician came and checked all 3 systems by opening up the aircon unit in all 3 rooms , and compressor outside the house and found no issue.

Suspect is the pipes conceal inside the walls. So they suggest we explore options for aircon change.

They recommended Mitsubishi electric system 2 and said it's cheap. New model and inverter. We are not very technical in this aspect.

So would like to seek advise if anybody knows if which model is it and if it's reliable.

Welcome all advises. Thank you

Phases

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Need some advise. Currently am using Mitsubishi heavy industry aircon system 3.

For the past 7 years, have repaired it for a few times. First time was gas leak. Discover that it is on the aircon piping. Second time , a nut burst open , causing all the air leak.
Last Monday , both my rooms blowing just fan. No cold air . Technician came and checked all 3 systems by opening up the aircon unit in all 3 rooms , and compressor outside the house and found no issue.

Suspect is the pipes conceal inside the walls. So they suggest we explore options for aircon change.

They recommended Mitsubishi electric system 2 and said it's cheap. New model and inverter. We are not very technical in this aspect.

So would like to seek advise if anybody knows if which model is it and if it's reliable.

Mitsubishi comes in 2 divisions, one Heavy industry and one Starmex. i was told Heavy industry capital cost is slight lower, but Starmex reliability n noise is better n quieter.

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score

Starmex is fine and even HE is ok too. Your issues seem to come from QC issues from the installation rather than the aircon brand..

3000kmh

Reaction score
Starmex is fine and even HE is ok too. Your issues seem to come from QC issues from the installation rather than the aircon brand..

Thanks Phases and Peter.

Is there any metrics or method I can use to supervise the next time I get the new aircon installed?

The system 2 the technician recommended is 9000. And says it's enough to my rooms. takes around 8 mins as compared to my current system 3 , 4mins.

My neighbour actually purchase the current heavy industry aircon together with me. 7 years , they have no issues at all. And I did 3 repairs. Damn suay.

So I really hope to learn how to manage and be more careful next round

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.