The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Halphes

Reaction score
Hi guys,i am just wondering if you purchase say a hoya lens. During collection how do you verify its hoya? I recall all my previous purchases does not come with any cert or warranty card. Please advice. Thanks.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Is it progressive or single vision lenses??

Hi guys,i am just wondering if you purchase say a hoya lens. During collection how do you verify its hoya? I recall all my previous purchases does not come with any cert or warranty card. Please advice. Thanks.

Halphes

Reaction score

sis01123

Reaction score
Free/Cheap Frames Adjustment?

Hi everyone, I have a pair of spectacles which are not fitting right at the moment. I bought them outside of Singapore and aside from the fit, I'm happy with them.

I'd like to ask where can I have them adjusted for free or at a cheap price? From where I bought these, I can have them adjusted for free regardless of which boutique I got them. Heh.

Not sure if this is relevant but the frames are Ray Ban and lenses are Crizal, so I'm also looking for recommendations where I can have them adjusted without worrying they will be damaged.

Last edited:

nethdale

Reaction score
Oh OK thanks. Do you know about other brands such as essilor or zeiss or their sub brand? Do they give warranty cards to?

Yes for Essilor but I have not tried Zeiss before. After trying Hoya, I did not look back.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a pair of spectacles which are not fitting right at the moment. I bought them outside of Singapore and aside from the fit, I'm happy with them.

I'd like to ask where can I have them adjusted for free or at a cheap price? From where I bought these, I can have them adjusted for free regardless of which boutique I got them. Heh.

Not sure if this is relevant but the frames are Ray Ban and lenses are Crizal, so I'm also looking for recommendations where I can have them adjusted without worrying they will be damaged.

Then would you rather go to their other boutique outlets?
Unless you are comfortable with the fact that during adjustment, there is a possibility that the frame will break. If not most shops would probably do it for you if you are willing to bear the risk involve.

nethdale

Reaction score
I'm deciding between Hoya and Zeiss. What series of Hoya are you wearing and how does it compares to Essilor?
Hi, sorry, I can’t recall the series of my Hoya. My first pair was something “ Hoya true form...” and also unable to remember the current one as well. But, definitely is not the top range of Hoya. My Essilor was many years back which I only remember many feedback about their scratch resistance was not as it advertised. I always leave it to my optician to recommend as I want the lens to be “broad view and sharp”. I am more focus on the frame itself.

Last edited:

sis01123

Reaction score
Then would you rather go to their other boutique outlets?
Unless you are comfortable with the fact that during adjustment, there is a possibility that the frame will break. If not most shops would probably do it for you if you are willing to bear the risk involve.

Would you know how much is the usual service fee if I will have them adjusted at branded boutiques (for peace of mind)?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
When you said branded boutique ,you mean you purchase from their other outlets? If you do, then it’s foc. If not again, it’s on your own risk.

Would you know how much is the usual service fee if I will have them adjusted at branded boutiques (for peace of mind)?

sis01123

Reaction score
When you said branded boutique ,you mean you purchase from their other outlets? If you do, then it’s foc. If not again, it’s on your own risk.

e.g. I bought my Ray Ban frames outside of Singapore, then I find a Ray Ban boutique in SG to have them adjusted. Will that come free?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeap it will. Honestly many shops in Singapore do it for free. Just that we will usually say it’s at your own risk as it’s not bought from us.

e.g. I bought my Ray Ban frames outside of Singapore, then I find a Ray Ban boutique in SG to have them adjusted. Will that come free?

suitboy

Reaction score
Anyone know where / what brands to get the tortoise shell glasses, the big rectangular kind?

Don't know how to upload photos here, so the one i'm referring to is the one Alexander Zverev always wears.

jiawei456123

Reaction score
Got shops that I can bring my existing specs with the frame going spoil soon and just change the frame? Or must be exact same frame then can?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Best to find the same exact one. If not you probably have to find a smaller frame and that would lead to the focal point not being centered as the lens size might have to be altered.
If it is single vision, some might find it tolerable, whereas for progressives, the outcome might be more significant.

Got shops that I can bring my existing specs with the frame going spoil soon and just change the frame? Or must be exact same frame then can?

Reaction score

If degree is not too high (less than -3.00Ds), usually a slight change of centration (+/- 2mm) poses no significant difference to end users.

However, if your degree is higher, most optician/optometrist would try to find a frame that has:
  • same or +/-1mm nose bridge
  • nasal portion of lens that fits exactly/require minimal alteration

:s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.