Anyone using Google WiFi?

(^@^)"

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, would like to check if there are reviews on Google WiFi. I am with Starhub, there are spots in my house that WiFi is bad or almost non-existant. Will Google WiFi help with that? Or getting WiFi mesh is better?

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 3 using GAGT

-Grift-

Reaction score
Hi, would like to check if there are reviews on Google WiFi. I am with Starhub, there are spots in my house that WiFi is bad or almost non-existant. Will Google WiFi help with that? Or getting WiFi mesh is better?

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 3 using GAGT

Google Wifi = Mesh system

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Google wifi works very well for me. 5rm flat HDB.

Depends on your placement. have to trial and error.

benzene

Reaction score
my place 3 room HDB
i placed one at the tv console
no issue at all for the past 6mths.
am starhub too

pclum

Reaction score
I am looking to subscribe to starhub the google wifi, 3pc pack but is $15/month for 24 month which is $360, mine is HDB 2-storey maisonette and presently I am using 2pc aztech extender but extender is only half the speed. Another room is not so strong in the wifi signal To spend another 360 for this google wifi is quite expensive so I do not know whether is worth it.

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
Borrow this thread to ask.

Did anyone use US version of Google Wifi and experience intermittent disconnect? I am experiencing this and Google Wifi Help told me they are not able to support US device used outside of US.

After searching online, seems like there might be some channel issues and firmware is definitely different and thus, there is a "region lock".

Need some advice on how to "unlock" and use this without any issues.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Google just want to earn your $$$ and provide zero support.
You can google the internet many ppl have this intermittent issue and no one seems to get any answer from Google.

You are better off getting other mesh system !!!

I am looking to subscribe to starhub the google wifi, 3pc pack but is $15/month for 24 month which is $360, mine is HDB 2-storey maisonette and presently I am using 2pc aztech extender but extender is only half the speed. Another room is not so strong in the wifi signal To spend another 360 for this google wifi is quite expensive so I do not know whether is worth it.

Did anyone use US version of Google Wifi and experience intermittent disconnect? I am experiencing this and Google Wifi Help told me they are not able to support US device used outside of US.

After searching online, seems like there might be some channel issues and firmware is definitely different and thus, there is a "region lock".

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No issues for my US set sent from Korea and it has always been auto updating to latest firmware.

Besides, region lock is not something google do... kinda like against their motto.

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dependent on house layout. Btw how Long you bought already? The google wifi. How many pieces you using?

My set probably about 3 years old? cannot really remember liao.

I am using all 3 units, My fiber point is right in front of my main door which has a small corridor leading to the living room.

Point 1 : house entrance
Point 2 : Living room
Point 3 : Master bedroom

SO far, coverage is good and no dead spots. besides, when setting up, i think there is an assistant to help you get the optimal coverage.

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I read that you need to connect it to a local set to get it configured to local settings. After that remove from the host network, bring home and set the localized puck to be the base unit. Upon linking the rest, they should also configure to become local settings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleWiFi/comments/77kdgl/flashing_firmware_from_a_different_region/

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The latest version of Google WiFi seems to be called Nest WiFi. Nest WiFi router is at S$229 and Nest WiFi point is at S$199.

Review from CNet
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/nest-wifi-review/

Myrepubluc has the offer now.
https://myrepublic.net/sg/google-nest-wifi/
1Gbps Fibre Broadband with Google Nest Wifi
$56.99/mth

1Gbps fibre broadband with Nest Wifi router and point (worth $428) @ $56.99/mth for 24 months

Recontracting? Enjoy FREE 1 month subscription

Limited Time Offer Complimentary Google Nest Mini (worth $79)

FREE TP Installation (worth up to $160.50) for new customers

FREE home phone line with unlimited local calls

Prepay first 2 months subscription

$53.50 service installation fee

$56.71 NLT service activation fee

Last edited:

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
I read that you need to connect it to a local set to get it configured to local settings. After that remove from the host network, bring home and set the localized puck to be the base unit. Upon linking the rest, they should also configure to become local settings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleWiFi/comments/77kdgl/flashing_firmware_from_a_different_region/

Yes I saw this and if we read on, it didn't work.

From what I understand, this is a firmware issue. Other router makers out there actually configured their firmware to allow the router to be "region-free".

Whereas Google Wifi, for whatever reasons, did not allow that. I don't think they will do different product lines for different region since this is the thing of the past.

I did call up the technical support numerous times. The moment I suspected it may be a faulty set and requested for RMA, they asked for location and cease all technical support from that point forward when they documented that I have a US set and using it in Singapore.

They even showed me that they have a clause stating that they do not recommend consumers to use the Google Wifi not purchased within their local countries.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.