Franchise Scam (Still active, BEWARE!!)

• Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) on the next steps you can take. More info

Raigar

Reaction score
Franchise Scam (Still active, BEWARE!!!)

Edit
: Zabao already covering this story. https://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/singapore/story20191008-995400?themeId=2&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR05sHHW5Vyk3yjem67KE6SNeSLOf8RnrmlmChfpelBG-nfWhiQf4oN4C6Q&utm_expid=.GDliSVqsR_G-lVPCVeIVMg.1&utm_referrer=https://www.facebook.com/#Echobox=1570518911

Edit 2 : Victim has increased to the total number of 14 and the total loss might reach more than $200k. Scammer are ditching his current scheme and using new method of finding an "Investor" or anyone who want to buy his recipe.

Edit 3 : Father has been caught and family still free now whilw engaging an expensive lawyer using the scam money to defend the father. https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ting-victims-of-at-least-282000-in-investment

Edit 4(16 Sep 2020) : He has started his cheating scheme with investment and his F&B expertise (Skinny papa) again and new victim has contacted me

Edit 5(8 Jan 2022) : Yes, you read it right! took them 3 years just to sentenced him and not to mentioned he got a long list of prior offense and managed to hide from police for 5 years and can submit to ACRA using his real name prior his criminal record. https://www.zaobao.com.sg/news/singapore/story20220108-1230840?close=true

I have been cheated through a franchisee scam that I’ve found in Carousell under the name of Waffles Factory. The listed offer is $10,000 capital fee for 1st month of Kopitiam rental + deposit, equipment (TV, menu bar, waffle baker, heater and etc), NEA certificate and etc. The business itself is to sell a waffle. So I’ve arrange to meet with the guy, he introducing himself as Davis Tay (Alias) with a real name of Tay Hock Chwee, which supported by his wife with the name of Chong Choon Guat, daughter and Son in Law with the name of Eugene Tan (Eugene John) and he is bringing the waffle sample which is tasted very good, unlike any waffle that I have tasted before so after I’ve drawn to the product itself, I’m convinced and decided to on board as one of his franchisee.

After I’ve paid the $10k, he promised that the Kopitiam stall will be ready by 15th of August, but on 15th of August he said the shop opening has been pushed to 12th September as the NEA certificate is not ready and at that time, at the same time he requesting for more money which is for Kopitiam Deposit ($4,435) and also He introducing this SG founder grant which I need to pay another ($3600). Seeing there’s 3 branches that’s already opened (Jurong East, Boon Lay and Sembawang), his company registered under ACRA and there’s a legally binding contract. I’ve thought that nothing can go wrong and paid him the requested amount. He promised that the grant will be disbursed on 20th August, but even when the day arrived there’s nothing.

On 10th September, there’s no sign that my shop is ready and he told me that my shop will be pushed further to 20th September due to the NEA certificate and Grant has yet to be disbursed by the government. Along the way, one by one of the shop is closing due to a lot of issue from him like the Waffles ingredient are not consistent, sometimes they are not even delivered and the last straw is when the monthly bill came from Kopitiam and the franchisee are required to pay the deposit that’s supposed to be paid by the Franchisor and also they are required to paid a rental fee from the other stall that is not opened yet (This stall are meant for the other franchisee that is being put on hold by the franchisor).

Our suspicion is getting stronger and all the franchisee decided to meet up and eventually we’ve found out there’s other 8 Franchisee that has been tricked by him using the same method and actually he never uses the capital money that was meant to pay Kopitiam and others vendor and never pay the franchisee with the grant.

At the point of this writing (26/9/2019), he is still replying our messages and claims that he still in Singapore, at the same time he also actively looking for another fresh victim in carousell. I have reported the account to carousell using their report method and even directly contacted them, instead I have received a template reply from them and no action are taken from them, while the account still actively looking for new victim.

The guy is challenging the franchisee to sue him, because he is very confident that he can just simply declare bankrupt and don’t need to pay any single cent back, at most he will just goes to jail for a few years and walk out Scot free with hundred’s thousand dollars richer. (Where’s the justice in this?)
Franchisee found out that he lived at rented HDB at Boon Lay Drive and seems like doesn’t have a proper capital to start business, but somehow, he can easily register himself as the director of the company that he registered in ACRA under waffles factory SG.

So, in the end, contract doesn’t mean a thing as anyone can disregard it easily and any Scammer can easily register their company in ACRA. Kopitiam is currently taking a legal action against him and the same time, Police report has been made by all the franchisee. We’ve heard that some of other people that we are unable to contact have made the police report as well, for those that is cheated by him and currently lost and still trying to get the answer, please contact kopitiam to get our contact number to get more information about this case.

One of victim is a family with 4 children that has lost all their savings by trying to good and provide a better life for their kids.

I would like to seek your guys opinion whether this is a correct place to post about this and how to bring him to Justice

Father : Tay Hock Chwee(Davis tay a.k.a Dave tay a.k.a 被告郑福水(译音,51岁)

jfBJMM7.png

H8YzxZ8.png

Last edited:

Jpt777

Reaction score
Contact me. I'm one of the victims for airport kopitiam too. Paid 10000$ like you all.

Raigar

Reaction score
Contact me. I'm one of the victims for airport kopitiam too. Paid 10000$ like you all.

Oh, so you are the one that he said taking the T2 branch, counting you we have 7 victim so far. Please PM me your contact number to be added to the whatsapp group of the victim.

Last edited:

fungkm

Reaction score
Hi hi unfortunately the same happened to me... What are our options

gaffion

Reaction score
waffles

Sigh, sorry to say, but I'm one of the victims too. How are you coping? Please PM me.

mc0327

Reaction score
Hi, I'm also a victim of this person thru the investor package that he offered. How can I go about this? Can't find where to PM. Thanks.

mc0327

Reaction score
Hi Raigar, I can't seem to send you a PM. Can you message me so I can send you my contact details. I'm also a victim of Waffles SG ...thanks.

You would be suprised. There's total around 13-14 victim so far and still counting, even kopitiam and other company are not getting paid by him as well, all the cheque is bounced.

Raigar

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is any update on the charges?

CAD saying the update is not so good.

Right now he is still engaging the lawyer and out of bail (so much for people that said lost all the franchisee money but can engage lawyer and paid bail that amounted to tenth of thousand dollars)

Last edited:

Bilibili

Reaction score
Seems like SG is quickly becoming breeding ground for such cases and other e-commerce shenanigan. The regulations that cover business legitimacy appear to be weak compared to elsewhere such as Australia. What is your opinion of the affected parties getting together to mount representative suit against the perpetrators? (Ref to Asia One online report on Raffles Country Club)

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
Franchise Scam (Still active, BEWARE!!!)

Edit
: Zabao already covering this story. https://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/singapore/story20191008-995400?themeId=2&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR05sHHW5Vyk3yjem67KE6SNeSLOf8RnrmlmChfpelBG-nfWhiQf4oN4C6Q&utm_expid=.GDliSVqsR_G-lVPCVeIVMg.1&utm_referrer=https://www.facebook.com/#Echobox=1570518911

Edit 2 : Victim has increased to the total number of 14 and the total loss might reach more than $200k. Scammer are ditching his current scheme and using new method of finding an "Investor" or anyone who want to buy his recipe.

Edit 3 : Father has been caught and family still free now whilw engaging an expensive lawyer using the scam money to defend the father. https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ting-victims-of-at-least-282000-in-investment

Edit 4(16 Sep 2020) : He has started his cheating scheme with investment and his F&B expertise (Skinny papa) again and new victim has contacted me

Edit 5(8 Jan 2022) : Yes, you read it right! took them 3 years just to sentenced him and not to mentioned he got a long list of prior offense and managed to hide from police for 5 years and can submit to ACRA using his real name prior his criminal record. https://www.zaobao.com.sg/news/singapore/story20220108-1230840?close=true

I have been cheated through a franchisee scam that I’ve found in Carousell under the name of Waffles Factory. The listed offer is $10,000 capital fee for 1st month of Kopitiam rental + deposit, equipment (TV, menu bar, waffle baker, heater and etc), NEA certificate and etc. The business itself is to sell a waffle. So I’ve arrange to meet with the guy, he introducing himself as Davis Tay (Alias) with a real name of Tay Hock Chwee, which supported by his wife with the name of Chong Choon Guat, daughter and Son in Law with the name of Eugene Tan (Eugene John) and he is bringing the waffle sample which is tasted very good, unlike any waffle that I have tasted before so after I’ve drawn to the product itself, I’m convinced and decided to on board as one of his franchisee.

After I’ve paid the $10k, he promised that the Kopitiam stall will be ready by 15th of August, but on 15th of August he said the shop opening has been pushed to 12th September as the NEA certificate is not ready and at that time, at the same time he requesting for more money which is for Kopitiam Deposit ($4,435) and also He introducing this SG founder grant which I need to pay another ($3600). Seeing there’s 3 branches that’s already opened (Jurong East, Boon Lay and Sembawang), his company registered under ACRA and there’s a legally binding contract. I’ve thought that nothing can go wrong and paid him the requested amount. He promised that the grant will be disbursed on 20th August, but even when the day arrived there’s nothing.

On 10th September, there’s no sign that my shop is ready and he told me that my shop will be pushed further to 20th September due to the NEA certificate and Grant has yet to be disbursed by the government. Along the way, one by one of the shop is closing due to a lot of issue from him like the Waffles ingredient are not consistent, sometimes they are not even delivered and the last straw is when the monthly bill came from Kopitiam and the franchisee are required to pay the deposit that’s supposed to be paid by the Franchisor and also they are required to paid a rental fee from the other stall that is not opened yet (This stall are meant for the other franchisee that is being put on hold by the franchisor).

Our suspicion is getting stronger and all the franchisee decided to meet up and eventually we’ve found out there’s other 8 Franchisee that has been tricked by him using the same method and actually he never uses the capital money that was meant to pay Kopitiam and others vendor and never pay the franchisee with the grant.

At the point of this writing (26/9/2019), he is still replying our messages and claims that he still in Singapore, at the same time he also actively looking for another fresh victim in carousell. I have reported the account to carousell using their report method and even directly contacted them, instead I have received a template reply from them and no action are taken from them, while the account still actively looking for new victim.

The guy is challenging the franchisee to sue him, because he is very confident that he can just simply declare bankrupt and don’t need to pay any single cent back, at most he will just goes to jail for a few years and walk out Scot free with hundred’s thousand dollars richer. (Where’s the justice in this?)
Franchisee found out that he lived at rented HDB at Boon Lay Drive and seems like doesn’t have a proper capital to start business, but somehow, he can easily register himself as the director of the company that he registered in ACRA under waffles factory SG.

So, in the end, contract doesn’t mean a thing as anyone can disregard it easily and any Scammer can easily register their company in ACRA. Kopitiam is currently taking a legal action against him and the same time, Police report has been made by all the franchisee. We’ve heard that some of other people that we are unable to contact have made the police report as well, for those that is cheated by him and currently lost and still trying to get the answer, please contact kopitiam to get our contact number to get more information about this case.

One of victim is a family with 4 children that has lost all their savings by trying to good and provide a better life for their kids.

I would like to seek your guys opinion whether this is a correct place to post about this and how to bring him to Justice

Father : Tay Hock Chwee(Davis tay a.k.a Dave tay a.k.a 被告郑福水(译音,51岁)
KE7N480.png
I don't think it is a scam. I think those who believed in him are not clever.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.