Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

xtars11

Reaction score
Again, spot on! So..in your opinion, no particular model that stands out more than the other in this comparison? :)

Hmm i take it you are cool dipping in used market? If so then up to pers preference and test ride b4 buy paying special attention to gear change, brake power, "wobblyness" (might be wheels untrue) and inspect frame/fork for any serious damage ought to be fine ^^

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Again, spot on! So..in your opinion, no particular model that stands out more than the other in this comparison? :)

well if you are set on road bikes with that budget in the use market i think other options would be Polygon, BTwin and possibly older Giant entry level models?

Delsamor

Banned
Reaction score
Is it advisable to use the chain cleaner to clean our chain or better to remove the chain to clean? The chain cleaner solution will damage my hub or not?

VD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m confused, you cleaning chain or hub with chain cleaner. LOL. For quick cleaning, use chain cleaner and solution, for deep thorough cleaning, you can remove and soak in degreaser but remember to lube properly after that

Delsamor

Banned
Reaction score
Cos degreaser will erode hub mah if never take the chain out

I’m confused, you cleaning chain or hub with chain cleaner. LOL. For quick cleaning, use chain cleaner and solution, for deep thorough cleaning, you can remove and soak in degreaser but remember to lube properly after that

Nipponho

Reaction score
Help. Overwhelming resistance during cycling

Hi, I got a problem with my newly bought second hand bicycle. I experience quite a lot of resistance when I am riding my bicyle when I tried cycling from one MRT station to another, a total distance of 4 MRT stations.

On some parts of the journey, cycling was quite smooth, but on other parts, it was really torturing, requiring me to use a hell lot of energy to move. At times, the resistance was so strong that I am forced to push the bike and walk. I could not figure out why as the roads are not on ascend. Sometimes the resistance appears, sometimes it does not.

An uncle said the chain is rusty and asked me to oil the chain and circular coils at the centre of the wheel, which I did, but it doesn’t help at all. Does anyone knows which other parts of the bike that is causing this resistance? And how to solve it?

I observed other people cycling like a breeze, but for me, I have to exert so much force to move. 4 MRT stations distance is not that long a distance to cycle. But I was totally dog tired when I reach home due to the overwhelming resistance. There was once I had to rest 5 times during the cycling journey.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I got a problem with my newly bought second hand bicycle. I experience quite a lot of resistance when I am riding my bicyle when I tried cycling from one MRT station to another, a total distance of 4 MRT stations.

On some parts of the journey, cycling was quite smooth, but on other parts, it was really torturing, requiring me to use a hell lot of energy to move. At times, the resistance was so strong that I am forced to push the bike and walk. I could not figure out why as the roads are not on ascend. Sometimes the resistance appears, sometimes it does not.

An uncle said the chain is rusty and asked me to oil the chain and circular coils at the centre of the wheel, which I did, but it doesn’t help at all. Does anyone knows which other parts of the bike that is causing this resistance? And how to solve it?

I observed other people cycling like a breeze, but for me, I have to exert so much force to move. 4 MRT stations distance is not that long a distance to cycle. But I was totally dog tired when I reach home due to the overwhelming resistance. There was once I had to rest 5 times during the cycling journey.

A few questions 1st for us to help u better

#1 Rim or disc brake? either way could be the pads touching rim/disc rotor making resistance high

#2 Try to lift the rear wheel and use hands to peddle : does the chain mesh correctly with every cog of the rear cassette? I am assuming yours is a geared not a single speed bike? Typically people use a bike stand for this and this is called correct/properly indexed gears. Maybe your rear/front derailluer wildly maladjusted?

#3 Also with rear wheel lifted, check if there is high resistance at the crankset area? Could be the bottom bracket (BB) completely shot and needs replacement or at least major servicing? If it rocks and wobbles could be sign of loose BB as well...

#4 Lastly do u happen to have a spare set of wheels? Could be your currently wheel has its hubs completely shot! If they are budget/low end wheels best not to service the hubs but move to new wheels if this is indeed the fault..

Nipponho

Reaction score

#1 Rim or disc brake? either way could be the pads touching rim/disc rotor making resistance high

#2 Try to lift the rear wheel and use hands to peddle : does the chain mesh correctly with every cog of the rear cassette? I am assuming yours is a geared not a single speed bike? Typically people use a bike stand for this and this is called correct/properly indexed gears. Maybe your rear/front derailluer wildly maladjusted?

#3 Also with rear wheel lifted, check if there is high resistance at the crankset area? Could be the bottom bracket (BB) completely shot and needs replacement or at least major servicing? If it rocks and wobbles could be sign of loose BB as well...

#4 Lastly do u happen to have a spare set of wheels? Could be your currently wheel has its hubs completely shot! If they are budget/low end wheels best not to service the hubs but move to new wheels if this is indeed the fault..

Hi, Thank you so much for your time to reply. I think this will be very helpful. At least you listed out the possibilities for elimination so that I can identify the exact cause. As I am first time bike owner, and also first time cyclist, I am not too sure about those parts names that you mention, eg cog, derailer, crankset. But I will slowly figure out what you were trying to describe.

#1 : I think I know what you are referring to in #1. Tomorrow I will take peekchure and show you to confirm. Based on what I observe on other people’s bikes, their pads also touch the rims. I could not see any space between. Just like an old turntable needle touching a spinning black record.

#2 : I brought the bike to the repair shop for inspection of the gears before I buy it. Shop charge me $3 for inspection and told me that it is functioning properly. I did not notice whether he use a bike stand or just lift it up. But he did use his hands to peddle. “Maybe your rear/front derailluer wildly maladjusted?” I will figure out what this statement means.

#3 & #4 : I will try to understand what you are trying to describe

Thanks and good night!

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

An uncle said the chain is rusty and asked me to oil the chain and circular coils at the centre of the wheel, which I did, but it doesn*********t help at all. Does anyone knows which other parts of the bike that is causing this resistance? And how to solve it?

What bike u using? With multi gears or just single speed gear?

Posted from PCWX using BLA-L29

mccmmm

Banned
Reaction score
With you can identify an object as high to the lowest,notthing is great on this planet.
Do no identification of anythings to living beings.

Nipponho

Reaction score

Hi batuchka,

I am sooooooo fortunate today to have encountered an uncle who happen be an expert and he fixed it for me free of charge. I surely need to buy him something to show my appreciation the next time I see him.

Based on your #1, I used allan key to loosen one metal part which releases the brake pads’ grip on the rotating wheel. That was the cause of making the bike “too heavy to ride”. My ride suddenly becomes much smoother. Although some parts of the journey requires me to exert more energy to move, the resistance becomes easier to overcome and no longer paralyzing until I cannot even move. I guess lower end models are not suitable for riding on ascending roads.

But then, the brake pad becomes loosely dangling and then I realize that my hind brake handle becomes not so effective, but still alright and working. The loosening affects the brake cable positioning which in turn affects the brake handle.

So I asked this uncle, who happens to be at void deck, “is it alright to leave the brake pads dangling like this?”. Due to his “kiasee”ness, he has all the tools on his bike, and he spent about 20-30 minutes slowly doing the alignment to get the best combination, using his tools.

One brake pad is attached to the lower part of a vertical metal. One vertical metal appears on each side of the wheel, total of 2. Horizontal metal cable connects the top part of these 2 vertical metals. On this whole structure that I described, there are several adjustable points. Some are adjusted with allen key and one is adjusted with screwdriver. The horizontal cable is also adjustable. Adjusting one point affects the positioning of other points which will also affect the hind brake handle. As I am not technical student during my school days, I could not understand the whole structure when observing him performing the adjustments. But I feel I should learn a bit of the simple stuff so that in future I can DIY if the need arises, instead of depending on the repair shop.

I am not sure if you can visualise my description above, but doesn’t matter, problem is solved. Nevertheless, thanks so much for your thoughtfulness and willingness to help. Good night :)

Nipponho

Reaction score
Question about helmet law

Hi all,

It’s been made mandatory to wear helmets starting Feb this year but I wonder why no one in hardwarezone talks about this matter. I observed that most people don’t bother, except for professional cyclists, and also don’t remember sighting a bangla or tiong kok people abiding by this regulation. I was strongly urged by an uncle to comply and he provided me anecdotes of people who kena caught by traffic police and kena fined $300. Not sure how true, so I digged more info on this matter and this is what I found :

"It will be mandatory for cyclists to wear helmets when riding on the road. However, cyclists who are crossing the road to get from one public path to another will be exempted."

1. There is no mention about cycling on pedestrian pavements. We assume exemption?
2. When we cycle on pavement and we need to cross a perpendicular road, we will be exempted when we dismount and push the bike to cross. It’s so troublesome with so many perpendicular roads to cross. If we just cycle across, how? Means violation?
3. When we need to cross a road at traffic light or zebra, dismount and push is definitely safe. But if we just cycle across together with walking pedestrians, means violation?

The ruling is so vague and short of details. Do you guys really bother about this matter? Weather is warm and still want us to wear helmet, want us to perspire profusely?

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi batuchka,

I am not sure if you can visualise my description above, but doesn’t matter, problem is solved. Nevertheless, thanks so much for your thoughtfulness and willingness to help. Good night :)

Hi all,

It’s been made mandatory to wear helmets starting Feb this year but I wonder why no one in hardwarezone talks about this matter. I observed that most people don’t bother, except for professional cyclists, and also don’t remember sighting a bangla or tiong kok people abiding by this regulation. I was strongly urged by an uncle to comply and he provided me anecdotes of people who kena caught by traffic police and kena fined $300. Not sure how true, so I digged more info on this matter and this is what I found :

"It will be mandatory for cyclists to wear helmets when riding on the road. However, cyclists who are crossing the road to get from one public path to another will be exempted."

1. There is no mention about cycling on pedestrian pavements. We assume exemption?
2. When we cycle on pavement and we need to cross a perpendicular road, we will be exempted when we dismount and push the bike to cross. It’s so troublesome with so many perpendicular roads to cross. If we just cycle across, how? Means violation?
3. When we need to cross a road at traffic light or zebra, dismount and push is definitely safe. But if we just cycle across together with walking pedestrians, means violation?

The ruling is so vague and short of details. Do you guys really bother about this matter? Weather is warm and still want us to wear helmet, want us to perspire profusely?

Gratz on solving the issue ;) As for your helmet Qs

#1 On pavements and PCN no need wear helmet

#2 & #3 It is *suggested* to push bike (if solo, unloaded bike) when crossing roads not law. You can cycle across along wif pedestrians but do so slowly (no speeding!) and wif an eye out for pedestrian ^^
Source #1
https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/RTA1961-R36?DocDate=20190131
Conduct at and when approaching bicycle crossing
7. Every cyclist, mobility vehicle user and PMD rider must —
(a) when approaching a bicycle crossing, proceed at such speed as will enable him to stop his bicycle, power‑assisted bicycle, mobility vehicle or PMD (as the case may be) before reaching the crossing; and
(b) when at the bicycle crossing, stop and look for on‑coming traffic before using that bicycle crossing.
[S 74/2019 wef 01/02/2019]
Source #2
https://va.ecitizen.gov.sg/cfp/customerpages/lta/explore_faq.aspx
Why is ‘dismount and push’ not a rule?
Answer:
Rather than having cyclists and Personal Mobility Device (PMD) users dismount and push at every crossing and bus stop, they are encouraged to slow down and look out for other users at areas with high pedestrian traffic. This is a practical approach, as ‘dismount and push’ can pose safety issues, especially in cases where cyclists have a child or a load on their bicycles.

Last edited:

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Low end one la, Aleoca Trizion, old model, bought second hand from china boy. Multi gear.

How much u paid? Dump it la. China boy used until cannot make it liao then want to sell away.

Aleoca + prc = deadly combo

Posted from PCWX using BLA-L29

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.