Melbourne - Must buy/eat

LaiHam

Reaction score
I'm heading there in about 1 month time. Can you all recommend me what is the must eat and must buy? :):s8:
My favourite topic – where to eat.

Daniel’s Donut – no other donut will taste the same to me. Checkout their Instagram & you'll salivate.
Lord of the Fries – nearest in CBD is at Flinders Station
Mussel Pot at Queen Vic Market
Seafood at South Melbourne Market - stall can cook it fresh for you. Oysters are so fresh and cheap.

Things you can takeaway and prepare in hotel, like;
Pies – the meat ones. Even the frozen ones like Mrs Mac taste so good when you cook at home. (I brought plenty home in cooler bags)
Woolies or Coles bakery section (supermarkets) – buy meringue nest, passionfruit pulp and strawberries and you have your own dessert anytime. Banana cakes and rolls are nice too.
Kebab – all good, probably ‘cause their meats are fresh. That said – steaks taste better downunder.
Scones .. go café hopping. Coffees and cakes good too. But scones I can't get same in SG... yet.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score

Daniel’s Donut – no other donut will taste the same to me. Checkout their Instagram & you'll salivate.
Seafood at South Melbourne Market - stall can cook it fresh for you. Oysters are so fresh and cheap.

Pies – the meat ones. Even the frozen ones like Mrs Mac taste so good when you cook at home. (I brought plenty home in cooler bags)
Woolies or Coles bakery section (supermarkets) – buy meringue nest, passionfruit pulp and strawberries and you have your own dessert anytime. Banana cakes and rolls are nice too.
Kebab – all good, probably ‘cause their meats are fresh. That said – steaks taste better downunder.
Scones .. go café hopping. Coffees and cakes good too. But scones I can't get same in SG... yet.

Daniel's Donuts has a new branch in Point Cook, and it's only a few mins off the highway so it's very convenient for those heading to GOR. I haven't tried this branch though - I only go to the Springvale one as that's the closest to me.

Lord of the Fries are in a lot of places now, and have also opened up in different states and even NZ. Never really felt that it's that special for me.

If you head down to South Melbourne, also try Simply Spanish - it has been awarded the best paella outside of Spain.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Daniel's Donuts has a new branch in Point Cook, and it's only a few mins off the highway so it's very convenient for those heading to GOR. I haven't tried this branch though - I only go to the Springvale one as that's the closest to me.

Lord of the Fries are in a lot of places now, and have also opened up in different states and even NZ. Never really felt that it's that special for me.

If you head down to South Melbourne, also try Simply Spanish - it has been awarded the best paella outside of Spain.

Donuts, try look for short stop in the CBD, one of the better ones..

Pastry can head to south melbourne.

Andy - that paella is everywhere during any sort of farmers market and becoming like a franchise, its ok but not fantastic.

AL22DA

Reaction score

thanks for all the recommendations! i'm salivating already :s13:=:p
what about Lune Croissanterie? will you recommend that?
i love OYSTERS! definitely checking the place out :s12:

LaiHam

Reaction score

Is the queue at Daniel's Springvale always that long? Carnegie's near to me (Bentleigh), and max queue time 10 mins.

Also worth checking out Queen Vic night market on Weds. Food galore and the paella is good too.. can't remember the stall's name but its always there.

If you're going to Phillip Island, stopover at San Remo for fish & chips.

LaiHam

Reaction score
thanks for all the recommendations! i'm salivating already :s13:=:p
i love OYSTERS! definitely checking the place out :s12:
Lune Croissanterie - oh yes... my fav is the almond ones. Must try the cruffins - croissant+muffin.

juxtaposition

Reaction score
xTka4SB.jpg

Is the queue at Daniel's Springvale always that long? Carnegie's near to me (Bentleigh), and max queue time 10 mins.

Also worth checking out Queen Vic night market on Weds. Food galore and the paella is good too.. can't remember the stall's name but its always there.

AL22DA

Reaction score

i'm planning to go Phillip Island, checking the deals at Klook but not sure if we're going to take a cab there or we're renting a car :flash:

LaiHam

Reaction score
i'm planning to go Phillip Island, checking the deals at Klook but not sure if we're going to take a cab there or we're renting a car :flash:
You can compare prices at https://www.penguins.org.au/attractions/ with klook and groupon.au. If you're going for day trip, book the tour 'cause by the time you finish, it's dark to drive out. If driving, stay a night in Cowes so you dont have to rush through the attractions). If in group, cheaper to DIY and rent car but if solo, just hop on the tour bus. Plus driving - a lot of stopovers for makan - Caldermeade Farm, San Remo Pier, Panny's Choc factory - along the way from CBD to Phillip Island.

Cab ride ex in AU, ie 30 mins = $70 or so.

Last edited:

AL22DA

Reaction score
You can compare prices at https://www.penguins.org.au/attractions/ with klook and groupon.au. If you're going for day trip, book the tour 'cause by the time you finish, it's dark to drive out. If driving, stay a night in Cowes so you dont have to rush through the attractions). If in group, cheaper to DIY and rent car but if solo, just hop on the tour bus. Plus driving - a lot of stopovers for makan - Caldermeade Farm, San Remo Pier, Panny's Choc factory - along the way from CBD to Phillip Island.

Cab ride ex in AU, ie 30 mins = $70 or so.

Thank you! I will compare between https://www.penguins.org.au/attractions/ with klook and groupon.au. i will likely go for a day trip. guess booking the tour is a wiser choice cause is only me and my partner. i will check the tour bus out :s12:

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My wife liked it but I felt it was way too much to pay $9 for a croissant.

Lune Croissanterie - oh yes... my fav is the almond ones. Must try the cruffins - croissant+muffin.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
that paella is everywhere during any sort of farmers market and becoming like a franchise, its ok but not fantastic.

Yeah, that name is everywhere now. Some are better than others.

It's well loved by a lot of people. Go early though, choices can run out during the day.

The Springvale store almost always have a queue on weekends (I don't go past there on weekdays). 10-20 mins is the norm.

The paella at the QVM on night markets is Simply Spanish - the same one as the South Melbourne one. This "branch" is quite ok.

Tourists focus a lot on Phillip Island itself but often neglect San Remo just over the bridge so it's worth keeping in mind that something you need/want may also be readily available on the mainland.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My wife liked it but I felt it was way too much to pay $9 for a croissant.

The pastry place (agatha) at South melbourne is much better in terms of croissant.. personally

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any must eat or must buy from QVM :s13:

Probably the bratwurst sausage at the corner.. always a must try.

There's a food truck selling mussels which is cooked on the spot as well, hopefully it's still there

LaiHam

Reaction score
any must eat or must buy from QVM :s13:
Mussel Pot is a must try. It comes with several gravy choices and bread for dipping. Spicy coconut my personal fav :) They've tables/stools right in front of truck.

Agree on the bratwurst/german sausage.. The jam doughnuts are nice too... always long queue.

QVM night market has huge food selections.. but only on Wed nights. Its hawker theme till Oct 23rd. https://thenightmarket.com.au/

AL22DA

Reaction score
Mussel Pot is a must try. It comes with several gravy choices and bread for dipping. Spicy coconut my personal fav :) They've tables/stools right in front of truck.

Agree on the bratwurst/german sausage.. The jam doughnuts are nice too... always long queue.

QVM night market has huge food selections.. but only on Wed nights. Its hawker theme till Oct 23rd. https://thenightmarket.com.au/

yeah, i'm doing some research for my itinerary to only realise that the QVM night market is only until 23 Oct. but I will only be there on the first week of Nov.
i love mussel! :s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.