Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

lilrex21

Reaction score
thank you all, i salute your knowledge! :D

therefore my routine shld be like this:
brush off shoe with the horsehair brush
use cotton rag to apply on the creme universelle. leave on for 1-2 mins and buff off the rest.
another rag to apply creme surfine. i assume this would be till the shoe appears polished? do i also get the neutral colour or buy according to the shoe colour? is there also a need to alternate with a wax polish?

creme universelle would be every 3 to 6 months, while the creme surfine is once a month. correct? these are my work shoes so i will wear them quite often.

theRenaissance

Reaction score
thank you all, i salute your knowledge! :D

therefore my routine shld be like this:
brush off shoe with the horsehair brush
use cotton rag to apply on the creme universelle. leave on for 1-2 mins and buff off the rest.
another rag to apply creme surfine. i assume this would be till the shoe appears polished? do i also get the neutral colour or buy according to the shoe colour? is there also a need to alternate with a wax polish?

creme universelle would be every 3 to 6 months, while the creme surfine is once a month. correct? these are my work shoes so i will wear them quite often.

When you buffed after applying the Creme Surfine, there will already be a mild, even shine coming out due to friction caused by buffing (with a boar hair brush) and the high amount of beeswax present in the formulation.

Whether to get Neutral or a colour creme depends very much on your preferences and budget. If you are starting out, I suggest getting neutral to have a go. Once you are assured of the results, you can always invest in specific colours for your shoes.

You will only apply wax polish once you are done with creme polish application. You should never alternate between creme and wax polish.

Applying Creme Surfine or any creme polish once a month is a good frequency. You can apply Creme Universelle once every 1-2 months. That will provide a good basis for adequate nourishment.

Additional pointers for reference after applying any Creme/Lotion:

1) Buff off with a boar bristle brush instead of horsehair brush. There are practical reasons why boar bristles are better for polishing and you will find it a much pleasant experience.

2) After buffing off the entire upper, proceed to damp your cloth lightly with water and buff off to ensure a clean, smooth upper.

3) If after doing steps 1 & 2, you still find that the upper are still matte looking or sticky. Something is off, recheck and if need be, buff off again to remove all excess creams.

4) Most online tutorials only tell you to use a horsehair brush to brush off and omit step 2. These are crucial steps in ensuring the pores are open and ready to receive nourishment, especially if you are using any leather balm or lotion.

Have fun guys.

merlintehleh

Reaction score
When you buffed after applying the Creme Surfine, there will already be a mild, even shine coming out due to friction caused by buffing (with a boar hair brush) and the high amount of beeswax present in the formulation.

Whether to get Neutral or a colour creme depends very much on your preferences and budget. If you are starting out, I suggest getting neutral to have a go. Once you are assured of the results, you can always invest in specific colours for your shoes.

You will only apply wax polish once you are done with creme polish application. You should never alternate between creme and wax polish.

Applying Creme Surfine or any creme polish once a month is a good frequency. You can apply Creme Universelle once every 1-2 months. That will provide a good basis for adequate nourishment.

Additional pointers for reference after applying any Creme/Lotion:

1) Buff off with a boar bristle brush instead of horsehair brush. There are practical reasons why boar bristles are better for polishing and you will find it a much pleasant experience.

2) After buffing off the entire upper, proceed to damp your cloth lightly with water and buff off to ensure a clean, smooth upper.

3) If after doing steps 1 & 2, you still find that the upper are still matte looking or sticky. Something is off, recheck and if need be, buff off again to remove all excess creams.

4) Most online tutorials only tell you to use a horsehair brush to brush off and omit step 2. These are crucial steps in ensuring the pores are open and ready to receive nourishment, especially if you are using any leather balm or lotion.

Have fun guys.

One mistake I made at the start is applying too much creme and wax at the start. Applying less is easier to buff at the start.

theRenaissance

Reaction score
One mistake I made at the start is applying too much creme and wax at the start. Applying less is easier to buff at the start.

For creme & lotion, you have to be careful in balancing the right amount to avoid over application. But brushing off with a polishing brush and dry buffing with a cloth will do the job 99% of the time.

For wax polishing, actually the thicker and better packed the base layers are, the faster it is to achieve a decent shine. And this is what separates the professionals from amateurs. After application, you can immediately polish with a cloth. There is no need to brush off with a brush after wax application.

chup_ji_ka

Reaction score
I just did my Vibram half sole with Mr Yamaguchi Taro at Yishun bus interchange for $30.

https://thesmartlocal.com/read/old-school-cobblers/

Now that the new yishun bus interchange is in operation, anyone knows where is Mr Yamaguchi operating?

adriancjf

Reaction score
With a budget below $300 and in need of a pair of shoes in 3 weeks. Where can get a decent pair of Oxford shoes?

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

adriancjf

Reaction score
Is this shoes quality decent? Just that it’s not GYW. As I would need a pair in less than 3 weeks and MTO at CustomMade and EEA need more than 6 weeks.

adriancjf

Reaction score
Is this shoes quality decent? Just that it’s not GYW. As I would need a pair in less than 3 weeks and MTO at CustomMade and EEA need more than 6 weeks.

https://earnestcollective.com/collections/oxfords-1/products/carnegie-black-ii

choonfatt

Reaction score
Are loakes durable? Might go for Dr Martens for the durability instead even though the different looks.

theRenaissance

Reaction score
Are loakes durable? Might go for Dr Martens for the durability instead even though the different looks.

Best you have a look at the models and styles. Loakes are Goodyear welted while Martens are bonded, only the upper are stitched onto a PVC welt.

Other factors you may want to consider are:

1) Leather - natural vs pigmented vs corrected
2) Shape of shoes for aesthetics and comfort purposes
3) Your wearing behaviours and preferences (the rubber outsole of Martens is pretty comfortable).

yang_nastyman

Reaction score
Is there a thread on good looking good feeling socks?

The trashy cheap ones I have keep getting holes in them after a few wears, stretch out ridiculously and doesn't look good.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there a thread on good looking good feeling socks?

The trashy cheap ones I have keep getting holes in them after a few wears, stretch out ridiculously and doesn't look good.

Good looking and good feeling is subjective.

Some suggestions

For igent, luxurious feel wool socks - Bresciani
For quirky designs - happy socks, paul smith, ASOS, Mr Porter

I think holes are unavoidable keeping wearing pattern, foot care and socks care constant. I doubt quality/cost can significantly prolong the "sock life" so to speak.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.