Is JR Pass enough? 16D 15N to Osaka,Kobe,Hiroshima,Kyoto,Takayama,Nara,Tokyo

Viper0402

Reaction score
Travel experts here, is the JR Whole Japan Rail Pass 14 days Ordinary Car enough? (purchased)

Do I still need to get:
* ICOCA IC Card ?
* OSAKA Unlimited Travel Pass (1 or 2 Days) ?
* Kyoto-Osaka Sightseeing Pass 1 Day/2 Days (Pick up at Osaka)?
* Visit Hiroshima Tourist Pass ?
* any other Passes to get ?

Family of 7 on this Japan trip for 16days 15nights.

Rough itinerary as follows according to accomodation booked & planned visits to attractions.
(sorting out day-to-day, hourly itinerary)

Osaka 4nights
26Nov (Tues)
Arrival 9.20pm

27Nov & 28Nov (Wed/Thurs)
Universal Studios Japan Day 1 & 2 – 9.30am to 8.30pm
Evening time go to Dotonbori, or Shinsekai, or Shinsakbashi, or America Mura

29Nov (Fri)
Osaka Castle – 9am, spend around 3hrs.

Kobe – local attractions + Ropeway after lunch.

30Nov (Sat)
Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan – 9.30am, spend around 3hrs.
To Hiroshima, check-in 3pm.

Hiroshima 4nights
Will go to all the local attractions including Miyajima Island, Rabbit Island, Yamato Museum.

Kyoto 5nights
Will go to all the local attractions including:
1) A day trip to Takayama + Shirakawa-Go
2) A day trip to Nara
3) Update - A day trip to Kanazawa too!

Osaka 2nights final before flying home
Final visit to attractions missed out, including a day trip to Tokyo on bullet train using JR Pass.

Last edited:

Delardino

Reaction score
U already buy the 14 days Pass?

5 days JR Kansai Hiroshima Pass + a 7 days JR Pass would make more sense, budden seriously a day trip to Tokyo?

JR Kansai Hiroshima Pass & JR Kansai Hokuriku Area Pass would be enough and more value for money wise if you abandon the day trip to Tokyo.

Viper0402

Reaction score
U already buy the 14 days Pass?

5 days JR Kansai Hiroshima Pass + a 7 days JR Pass would make more sense, budden seriously a day trip to Tokyo?

JR Kansai Hiroshima Pass & JR Kansai Hokuriku Area Pass would be enough and more value for money wise if you abandon the day trip to Tokyo.

Thank you for the reply.
Yes, already purchased.
No choice have to buy 14 days Pass because of the trip for 16d 15n.
7 days Pass not enough to cover the whole trip.

Delardino

Reaction score
Can be cover if you use it with 5 days Kansai Hiro Pass, because u are only travelling to Hiroshima on the 5th day, activate on this day, then follow by the 7 days 1 can save abit of money but since already purchase then can't do much.

Getting IC card is still recommended because JR Pass only covers JR Lines, those subway metro lines still have to use IC card.

Anyway u can still change your itinerary? Switch Hiroshima with Kyoto if possible because the dates should be peak period for koyo, alot of night illuminations at Kyoto too.

And day trip for both Shirakawago & Takayama from Kyoto on the same day?
I am not sure how you going to do it esp with 7 pax, usually i am a fast traveller budden it is near impossible to enjoy both places on the same day coming from Kyoto. I feel you should stay 2 nights at Takayama and take a night off from Hiroshima.

Jeanrc

Reaction score
Your 14 days JR pass is going to make a lost, the places you go dont really need a JR pass except to tokyo which u need to travel by shinkansen.
But since u already bought it, then dont think too much about it unless you want to change the places you be going.
And yes u will still need their "mrt" IC CARD.

When i go japan this year feb, i also bought 14 days jr pass and this is how i use it.....

In Short, Osaka>nara>kyoto>kobe>kanazawa>shirakwa-go>sendai>hakodate>noboribetsu>sapporo>niseko>tokyo>Singapore

Land and stay at osaka for 4 night , during those 4 night walk around osaka eat takoyaki etc for 2 days, 1 day go nara see deer, 1 day go kyoto see see and eat dessert , 1 day go kobe eat kobe beef - First 3 days using normal train with "MRT" card before i active my 14 days JR PASS.

After 4N in osaka > 2N in Kanazawa
Walk around Kanazawa 1 day, 1 day go shirakawa-go UNESCO's World Heritage Sites

After 2N in kanazawa > 1N in Sendai ( sort of as a layover before reaching hokkaidao )
Walk around Sendai

After 1N in Sendai > Hakodate 2N
Walk around hakodate, eat live king crab and buy sea food stuff

After 2N in Hakodate > 2N in Noboribetsu hell valley
Walk around hell valley etc, go onsen for 2N

After 2N in Noboribetsu > 2N in Sapporo for Winter festival
Walk around sapporo eat play watch the winter festival etc

After 2N in Sapporo > 2N in Niseko to Skii
Walk and Skii at Grand Hirafu

After 2N in Niseko > Tokyo 2N
Walk eat shop in tokyo and fly back to singapore :eek:

Am amazed how i plan this :s12:

Viper0402

Reaction score
Can be cover if you use it with 5 days Kansai Hiro Pass, because u are only travelling to Hiroshima on the 5th day, activate on this day, then follow by the 7 days 1 can save abit of money but since already purchase then can't do much.

Getting IC card is still recommended because JR Pass only covers JR Lines, those subway metro lines still have to use IC card.

Anyway u can still change your itinerary? Switch Hiroshima with Kyoto if possible because the dates should be peak period for koyo, alot of night illuminations at Kyoto too.

And day trip for both Shirakawago & Takayama from Kyoto on the same day?
I am not sure how you going to do it esp with 7 pax, usually i am a fast traveller budden it is near impossible to enjoy both places on the same day coming from Kyoto. I feel you should stay 2 nights at Takayama and take a night off from Hiroshima.

Thank you for the reply.
I choose Kyoto at the end because need to fly back Singapore from Kansai Airport, and also go day trip to Tokyo. Thus, Hiroshima will be far to do that.

Viper0402

Reaction score
Your 14 days JR pass is going to make a lost, the places you go dont really need a JR pass except to tokyo which u need to travel by shinkansen.
But since u already bought it, then dont think too much about it unless you want to change the places you be going.
And yes u will still need their "mrt" IC CARD.

When i go japan this year feb, i also bought 14 days jr pass and this is how i use it.....

In Short, Osaka>nara>kyoto>kobe>kanazawa>shirakwa-go>sendai>hakodate>noboribetsu>sapporo>niseko>tokyo>Singapore

Land and stay at osaka for 4 night , during those 4 night walk around osaka eat takoyaki etc for 2 days, 1 day go nara see deer, 1 day go kyoto see see and eat dessert , 1 day go kobe eat kobe beef - First 3 days using normal train with "MRT" card before i active my 14 days JR PASS.

After 4N in osaka > 2N in Kanazawa
Walk around Kanazawa 1 day, 1 day go shirakawa-go UNESCO's World Heritage Sites

After 2N in kanazawa > 1N in Sendai ( sort of as a layover before reaching hokkaidao )
Walk around Sendai

After 1N in Sendai > Hakodate 2N
Walk around hakodate, eat live king crab and buy sea food stuff

After 2N in Hakodate > 2N in Noboribetsu hell valley
Walk around hell valley etc, go onsen for 2N

After 2N in Noboribetsu > 2N in Sapporo for Winter festival
Walk around sapporo eat play watch the winter festival etc

After 2N in Sapporo > 2N in Niseko to Skii
Walk and Skii at Grand Hirafu

After 2N in Niseko > Tokyo 2N
Walk eat shop in tokyo and fly back to singapore :eek:

Am amazed how i plan this :s12:

Wow, nice itinerary but a bit challenging for a family of 7.
2 old folks, 2 older kids and 1 younger at 9, me and wife.

I have estimated some prices but may break even with the 14 days JR Pass with a day trip bullet train to Tokyo.

Won't the following need to use JR Pass?
Kansai airport > Osaka Bay condo > Kobe > back Osaka > to Hiroshima 4nights > to Miyajima Island, Rabbit Island > to Kyoto 5 nights > day trip to Takayama & Shirakawa-Go > back Kyoto > to Nara day trip > back Kyoto > back Osaka final 2 nights > day trip to Tokyo > back Osaka last night.
Thus with the above, may break even though.

Last edited:

thwysg

Reaction score
Day trip to Takayama and Shirakawa-go, and Tokyo?

4 hours one way from Kyoto to Takayama and I don’t even know if you could secure the bus tickets to Shirakawa-go on the day itself (unless you call the reservation hotline). 1 hour one way to Shirakawa-go.

I don’t think it’s advisable, cannot do much. Might as well do trips to Kansai instead, Okayama/ Kurashiki, Biwako or Himeji. At least the train rides are less than 1.5 hours one way.

Can also do Nabana no Sato from Kyoto as well.

Viper0402

Reaction score
Day trip to Takayama and Shirakawa-go, and Tokyo?

4 hours one way from Kyoto to Takayama and I don’t even know if you could secure the bus tickets to Shirakawa-go on the day itself (unless you call the reservation hotline). 1 hour one way to Shirakawa-go.

I don’t think it’s advisable, cannot do much. Might as well do trips to Kansai instead, Okayama/ Kurashiki, Biwako or Himeji. At least the train rides are less than 1.5 hours one way.

Can also do Nabana no Sato from Kyoto as well.

1) Thank you, noted on securing bus tickets to Shirakawa-Go. Will call reservation once in Japan on the 26Nov.

2) Should start travel from Kyoto at 7.30am to 8am for Takayama 4hrs trip. Lunch at Takayama then 1hr bus to Shirakawa-Go.
Hang around Shirakawa-Go for few hours, don't think anything more to stay longer then head back to Takayama for dinner, then back to Kyoto to sleep.
In Kyoto on 4Dec Wed til 9Dec Mon, will plan a weekday to Takayama & Shirakawa-Go.

3) Thank you noted on day trips from Kyoto to Nabana no Sato

Last edited:

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Simple thumb rule is whether you can use shinkansen and limited express trains. they make up 80%~90% of your transport cost.

For example, Shinkansen station in kobe is called Shin-Kobe. if you want to go 'downtown' kobe, you either take one of three options:
1) jr limited express train from osaka Station to sannomiya Station
2) jr local train from osaka Station to sannomiya Station
3) shinkansen from shin-osaka Station to Shin-Kobe Station and then transfer to local train which is not under JR towards sannomiya area.

Yamato museum? Good choice. I have been there in 2017.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually if u reshuffle ur itinerary, can cover everything with a 7-day pass.

But it is going to be very rush to cover Takayama and Shirakawago as day trip. Tokyo also going to be too rush

Viper0402

Reaction score
Actually if u reshuffle ur itinerary, can cover everything with a 7-day pass.

But it is going to be very rush to cover Takayama and Shirakawago as day trip. Tokyo also going to be too rush

Thank you for the reply.

1) 7 days Pass kinda tough if I spend only 7 days in Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto combined. It will be very rushed even if I activate pass later.

2) I see online most Takayama and Shirakawago is a one day itinerary, for example:
https://www.klook.com/activity/2598-shirakawa-takayama-nagoya/
and
https://www.insidekyoto.com/takayama-itineraries

Delardino

Reaction score
Should start travel from Kyoto at 7.30am to 8am for Takayama 4hrs trip. Lunch at Takayama then 1hr bus to Shirakawa-Go.
Hang around Shirakawa-Go for few hours, don't think anything more to stay longer then head back to Takayama for dinner, then back to Kyoto to sleep
If can, try to head out before 7, can nap on the train.

And i think you should go to Kanazawa for dinner then thunderbird back to Kyoto, it is faster this way only about 2 hrs rather then going back to Takayama which will take u 3 hrs, u should still got some time to walk around the station too.

Takayama after 5,6pm, the town is like slping already, might not have much options for food.

Viper0402

Reaction score
If can, try to head out before 7, can nap on the train.

And i think you should go to Kanazawa for dinner then thunderbird back to Kyoto, it is faster this way only about 2 hrs rather then going back to Takayama which will take u 3 hrs, u should still got some time to walk around the station too.

Takayama after 5,6pm, the town is like slping already, might not have much options for food.

Oh, thank you!
Noted on Kanazawa back to Kyoto after Shirakawago!

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, in case you are not aware, you need to take return bus from Shirakawago to Kanazawa. There is no direct train from Takayama to Kanazawa.

Viper0402

Reaction score
Is it really a must to visit Takayama and Shirakawa-go? Why not Kanazawa instead? Shorter traveling time.

Thank you, noted.
Kobe, for Kobe beef at La Shomon for dry aged beef especially, few restaurants in Japan certified.
Takayama for Hida beef.
Since it's 5 nights at Kyoto, will visit Kanazawa separately too!

Viper0402

Reaction score
Travel experts here, is the JR Whole Japan Rail Pass 14 days Ordinary Car enough? (purchased)

Do I still need to get:
* ICOCA IC Card ?

Family of 7 on this Japan trip for 16days 15nights.

Rough itinerary as follows according to accomodation booked & planned visits to attractions.
(sorting out day-to-day, hourly itinerary)

Osaka 4nights
26Nov (Tues)
Arrival 9.20pm

27Nov & 28Nov (Wed/Thurs)
Universal Studios Japan Day 1 & 2 – 9.30am to 8.30pm
Evening time go to Dotonbori, or Shinsekai, or Shinsakbashi, or America Mura

29Nov (Fri)
Osaka Castle – 9am, spend around 3hrs.

Kobe – local attractions + Ropeway after lunch.

30Nov (Sat)
Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan – 9.30am, spend around 3hrs.
To Hiroshima, check-in 3pm.

Hiroshima 4nights
Will go to all the local attractions including Miyajima Island, Rabbit Island, Yamato Museum.

Kyoto 5nights
Will go to all the local attractions including:
1) A day trip to Takayama + Shirakawa-Go
2) A day trip to Nara

Osaka 2nights final before flying home
Final visit to attractions missed out, including a day trip to Tokyo on bullet train using JR Pass.

Back to main core topic:
Is the JR Whole Japan Rail Pass 14 days Ordinary Car enough?

Do I still need to get:
* ICOCA IC Card - OK will buy

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Back to main core topic:
Is the JR Whole Japan Rail Pass 14 days Ordinary Car enough?

Do I still need to get:
* ICOCA IC Card - OK will buy

NATIONALWIDE JR pass is enough. Other passes are not required as they do not have enough savings for given utilized JR pass.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

1) 7 days Pass kinda tough if I spend only 7 days in Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto combined. It will be very rushed even if I activate pass later.

2) I see online most Takayama and Shirakawago is a one day itinerary, for example:
https://www.klook.com/activity/2598-shirakawa-takayama-nagoya/
and
https://www.insidekyoto.com/takayama-itineraries
1) u only need the jr pass to cover the expensive rides which are to Hiroshima, Tokyo and Takayama. All these are within 7 days if u can reshuffle ur itinerary and put them together

2) I suggest u sign up for such day tours. Going on ur own via public transport is going to take too much time, going to be very rush

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.