[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghgan1

Reaction score
No worries, I had my fair shared of WD red, enterprise HGST hdd, Enterprise Seagate NAS hdd from using 2 bays, 4 bays, 5 bays, 8 bays to rack mount synology over the span of 8 years. The failure rate for Seagate NAS hdd is always much higher than HGST and follow by WD RED. So far I had very good experience with WD red and WD red pro.

Also amazon sales of WD red is much higher than seagate ironwolf, even though WD red is much more expensive than ironwolf.

Infact some WD elemental ext hdd are WD red with white label, and folks are buying it to use for the NAS by taking a part the WD elemental case because it is much cheaper than getting the WD red.

I was trying to find info on this as well to add a 10TB drive to my NAS, but can't find any conclusive answers.

Went with WD Red in the end since the general opinion online seems to favor WD over seagate.

Also, the funny thing is the Red is 5400rpm, but after testing, has the same read/writes as my 7200rpm HGST Deskstar drive.

User benchmark seems to show that Reds are faster than ironwolves as well: https://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compa...0TB-2016-vs-WD-Red-10TB-2017/m161315vsm324807

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

flikmy

Reaction score
APC CS-650VA battery died

Hi, my APC CS 650VA's battery just died last night. I bought 4 years back, so I guess it's about time.

I see the replacement battery for this is RBC17 and it costs close to $100 sometimes more online.

On the other hand, a new APC CS 650VA costs about $210 but will be a new unit compared to my existing 4 year old unit that has outlasted it's warranty.

Is it better to replace the whole UPS unit with a new one or is just replacing the battery fine for the UPS? Trying to get people's experience on how long UPS can last.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to setup a shared folder for access from outside of LAN? Eg. Another computer at another office able to edit and read the files.

How can I also mount this folder to my windows so that it looks like a folder or drive in windows?

Use dsfile? Better than exposing smb through the internet. Alternatively u can set up a vpn connection to hop back onto your network

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, my APC CS 650VA's battery just died last night. I bought 4 years back, so I guess it's about time.

I see the replacement battery for this is RBC17 and it costs close to $100 sometimes more online.

On the other hand, a new APC CS 650VA costs about $210 but will be a new unit compared to my existing 4 year old unit that has outlasted it's warranty.

Is it better to replace the whole UPS unit with a new one or is just replacing the battery fine for the UPS? Trying to get people's experience on how long UPS can last.

Go to Unicell International at Sim lim square and get a 3rd party replacement. You will be fine. :)

existential_reality

Reaction score
You mean access over the internet?

If you so you need setup the router to direct port traffic to the NAS, setup a DNS for if using dynamic IP. I usually setup my folder using Webdav so you have to enable that also on the NAS and setup permissions.

Anyone know how to setup a shared folder for access from outside of LAN? Eg. Another computer at another office able to edit and read the files.

How can I also mount this folder to my windows so that it looks like a folder or drive in windows?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, got it yesterday (at a very good price) and works well so far!

sealed lead acid battery has been around for ages. No worries about it being 3rd party :) These stuffs are consumerables. Just replace them in a 2-3 years depending on how much you are drawing from your UPS. I used my UPS to power my NAS, router, switches, raspberry pi, and ONT, so the battery can wear out faster. If you just use it on your NAS only, shouldn’t be that bad.

fluid_motion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sealed lead acid battery has been around for ages. No worries about it being 3rd party :) These stuffs are consumerables. Just replace them in a 2-3 years depending on how much you are drawing from your UPS. I used my UPS to power my NAS, router, switches, raspberry pi, and ONT, so the battery can wear out faster. If you just use it on your NAS only, shouldn’t be that bad.

Even those sold by the UPS manufacturer are third party and they slap their own brand label over and sell it to you over three times the price.

Almost threw away a good UPS after the batteries failed and the vendor didn't even recommend replacing the batteries - they rather sell you a whole new upgraded unit. After dismantling it and checked the lead acid batteries were common type so went SLS and bought some new ones to replace.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Bros, I got a big issue.

I'm using DS916+.
Now storage 1 pool crashed.
2 attention & 2 unused.
0 data.......

can advise what should I do......feeling helpless

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Bros, I got a big issue.

I'm using DS916+.
Now storage 1 pool crashed.
2 attention & 2 unused.
0 data.......

can advise what should I do......feeling helpless

Nothing. Check if any bad sectors and rma accordingly. Your data is gone (if you are o. Raid 5) My advise is either subscribe to cloud, buy another hdd or nas to backup.

Raid is not backup.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking to set up a shared network of about 3 laptops with a Synology NAS. Files on the NAS will be shared among these 3 laptops only.

However, there will be no internet access for this network, the NAS and laptops will be connected to a router.

Is the NAS able to work without internet access?

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing. Check if any bad sectors and rma accordingly. Your data is gone (if you are o. Raid 5) My advise is either subscribe to cloud, buy another hdd or nas to backup.

Raid is not backup.

Last night I click the repair button and this morning there’s beep alert again.
I login and see my data is back, with
Disk 1(6TB) not in use
Disk 2 (10TB)
Disk 3 (10TB)
Disk 4 (1TB) Crashed

A new HDD of 10TB or greater is required...

Now I digging my ex HDD to copy out whatever I can before getting new HDD later.

I’m not familiar with it, should I just copy out everything or insert and replace the crash HDD for it to run again. I’m worried kena blue flashing again...

And any recommendations for cloud storage?
I got approx 4-6TB of photos

existential_reality

Reaction score
Friend of my recommended amazon cloud, caveat here was the cost of the cloud increase exponentially post the grace period (kind of duh I gue

If your only storing say 6 - 10 TB of data maybe it be more cost efficient to have 2 x 10TB and do a Raid 0?

Disk 1(6TB) not in use
Disk 2 (10TB)
Disk 3 (10TB)
Disk 4 (1TB) Crashed

Now I digging my ex HDD to copy out whatever I can before getting new HDD later.

I’m not familiar with it, should I just copy out everything or insert and replace the crash HDD for it to run again. I’m worried kena blue flashing again...

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Friend of my recommended amazon cloud, caveat here was the cost of the cloud increase exponentially post the grace period (kind of duh I gue

If your only storing say 6 - 10 TB of data maybe it be more cost efficient to have 2 x 10TB and do a Raid 0?

2 x 10TB raid I will need an enclosure right if I’m using laptop.
Am I able to transfer data out into 1 10TB and buy another 10TB as a raid setup at a later time due to budget. Will it arrest my data when I doing raid at a later stage?

Currently trying to keep my budget low as past 2 months having high expenses on medical bills..

voux00

Reaction score
Disk 1(6TB) not in use
Disk 2 (10TB)
Disk 3 (10TB)
Disk 4 (1TB) Crashed

Eh... so your Storage Pool consists of which HDDs ah? How come Disk 1:6TB not in use? And are you on SHR/RAID0/RAID5?

If the 2x10TBs the only ones in your Storage Pool... u can take out the 6TB HDD to attach to the USB port and copy your 4-6TB of photos there.

voux00

Reaction score
I’m thinking to set up a shared network of about 3 laptops with a Synology NAS. Files on the NAS will be shared among these 3 laptops only.

However, there will be no internet access for this network, the NAS and laptops will be connected to a router.

Is the NAS able to work without internet access?

Yes, the NAS can work without Internet access and just be your file server. You can mount the shared folder as a network drive on the laptops for the 3 laptop users to share files between. You can allocate individual folders to them too, for files not to be shared with the other 2.

But for future DSM & package updates, you'll have to download to the laptops elsewhere first then update the NAS that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.