Where to tailor clothes =D - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

smonyboy123

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a decent alteration/tailor establishment located at either far east/lucky plaza? Planning to have my business pants tapered. Preferably same day collection and <$20.

evangel21

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a decent alteration/tailor establishment located at either far east/lucky plaza? Planning to have my business pants tapered. Preferably same day collection and <$20.

Meng Yee. But if you want it tapered may not be able to get it on the same day. Can ask tho

iTrvis

Reaction score
Looking to make a 3pc suit for my wedding. At the moment, I've shortlisted Red Dot Bespoke (for the price) vs AssembleSG (for the service).

On the fence on AssembleSG as the default construction is fused and will require a top up of $250 for full canvass, whereas Red Dot comes with it automatically. But I've read mixed reviews of RDB.

Would love to hear the opinions of these 2 tailors and whether or not it's worth topping up $250 for a full canvass suit!

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking to make a 3pc suit for my wedding. At the moment, I've shortlisted Red Dot Bespoke (for the price) vs AssembleSG (for the service).

On the fence on AssembleSG as the default construction is fused and will require a top up of $250 for full canvass, whereas Red Dot comes with it automatically. But I've read mixed reviews of RDB.

Would love to hear the opinions of these 2 tailors and whether or not it's worth topping up $250 for a full canvass suit!

Guests at your wedding cannot tell if your suit is fused or canvassed so you need to ask yourself after the wedding, how often will you wear the suit. If often, go for canvassed as repeated washing will affect the glue for fused construction and create bubbling.

My suit for my wedding near to a decade ago was also fused but since my wedding, I wore it less than 10 times and I only washed it once. Still doing well but I will be making a few suits end of this month as I envisage I will wear suits more often in future.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Generally, corporate culture these days moving towards more dress down. As with social norms. More so in SG where there is no functional need (warmth) for suits. Seems like only in the hospitality industry where suits are still a corporate uniform.

At the same time, there is also the sartorial game brewing (though the pace has tapered off somewhat), meaning we have guys in SG dressing up in suits just for the heck of it even though they do not need to.

Caught on the game few years back, resulting in tailoring 2 suits within a year. Thankfully stopped there and still only wear suits for attending weddings, which is max (thankfully) 2-3 times a year. :s13:

netbookcraze

Banned
Reaction score
Generally, corporate culture these days moving towards more dress down. As with social norms. More so in SG where there is no functional need (warmth) for suits. Seems like only in the hospitality industry where suits are still a corporate uniform.

At the same time, there is also the sartorial game brewing (though the pace has tapered off somewhat), meaning we have guys in SG dressing up in suits just for the heck of it even though they do not need to.

Caught on the game few years back, resulting in tailoring 2 suits within a year. Thankfully stopped there and still only wear suits for attending weddings, which is max (thankfully) 2-3 times a year. :s13:

Even once a conference, we are told not to wear tie. Can wear suit without buttoning up.

Some even wear suit with jeans..

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even once a conference, we are told not to wear tie. Can wear suit without buttoning up.

Some even wear suit with jeans..

MNCs are already starting a “no dress code” or daily smart casual trend. It’s like a smaller scale diversity index thing on inclusiveness.

But i digress.

euphony

Reaction score
Sorry if this question is repeated, looking to make a 2 pc suit for my wedding lunch. Budget around $650 max - will not be using the suit other than special occasions. Hope to get some opinions on which places to check out for suits that are value for money and offer a good fit.

From the previous pages, figured that some of the possible places are:
1. AssembleSG
2. SuitSupply
3. Sze Sze

Any other advice on tailors not mentioned above/choice of material/things to note will be appreciated. Thanks!

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question is repeated, looking to make a 2 pc suit for my wedding lunch. Budget around $650 max - will not be using the suit other than special occasions. Hope to get some opinions on which places to check out for suits that are value for money and offer a good fit.

From the previous pages, figured that some of the possible places are:
1. AssembleSG
2. SuitSupply
3. Sze Sze

Any other advice on tailors not mentioned above/choice of material/things to note will be appreciated. Thanks!

only #3 can meet yr budget.

Jemchong93

Reaction score
Wahsoshiok?

I knew the tailor from there yes, but i tried it myself. The fit wasn't that great off the bat (sleeve too short, too much fabric in some parts) but i knew what i wanted. Therefore, i asked someone to go down with him. If u know how a suit should fit, it is pretty good value for money but have to argue quite abit.

Last edited:

ersatz

Reaction score
A tailor shop told me that they will charge extra 30% for XXL size. Is that a common thing?

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quick question:

For slim (or skinny fat) body build, would you go with a more italian cutting or british cutting when making a suit for common occasions like attending company function, wedding, special occasions, etc.

Also, the usually recommended places like SB, Dylan, last&lapel etc, does any one know if their preference is towards italian/british cutting?

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quick question:

For slim (or skinny fat) body build, would you go with a more italian cutting or british cutting when making a suit for common occasions like attending company function, wedding, special occasions, etc.

Also, the usually recommended places like SB, Dylan, last&lapel etc, does any one know if their preference is towards italian/british cutting?
Those terms are meaningless. Lear to communicate simply with regards to styling and fit and you'll find yourself a happier customer.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

Jemchong93

Reaction score
quick question:

I agree with darthsid actually. Most suits nowadays come with a mix of british and italian styles.

I think its best if you find pics of customers of different tailors (instagram etc) and go down to the ones u like and speak to the tailor/salesperson.
If they allow, you can even try out some of their rtw/sample jackets to see how it roughly looks like on you.

Perseus

Reaction score
Hi all

I would like some recommendations to make mandarin collar suits. Any recommendations? Thank you

powerpack8

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm looking to tailor my first 2 piece suit with Sze Sze, below are the few characteristics that I've gathered:-

Suit:-
  • notch lapel
  • double vent
  • navy or charcoal
  • trousers with no break
  • two-button suit
  • pockets that are sewn in and have a flap
  • Lightly Padded Shoulder

Sample pic, charcoal suit:-

Charcoal-Alexander-Suit-1.jpg

I'm going to use it for work, conference and meeting clients. Need a classy and timeless piece since it's my first suit.

Anything else that I should note of? TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.