Building loft/mezzanine inside condo

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone here did it?

I was told the legal limit is 5sqm.

Even then, owner will need approval from the developer and permit from bca.

bolster

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes... anything above need approval.

Beyond 5sqm, your loft with loading will be too heavy and may result the wall or floor to collapse.

This involve gfa, need to check with your MCST any spare area from the developer before you can even apply to bca. In most situation, the developer will have utilise 100%.

But again, many people do it illegal.

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bca, ura or council for estate agencies ?

The floor plans in the official website do tally with our records. You may wish to visit the official website www.... to look up the official approved floor plans and verify with the sales agent, if applicable. If you suspect there has been any misrepresentation by the sales agent, you may wish to highlight the issue to the Council for Estate Agencies on the related matters.

Warmest Regards
. (Mr)
Development Control
Urban Redevelopment Authority

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank guys! Even if its within 5sqm also require approval and permit yup.

bolster

Master Member
Reaction score
Less than 5sqm confirm don’t need bca permit. Only your MCST must approve. Just get a PE with the necessary drawing and submit to your management for renovation.

5sqm does not include stair. You must make sure your stair landing has a bit of height different to be excluded in the 5sqm!

bolster

Master Member
Reaction score
If your is the highest floor and has a big roof terrace, better don’t do it.

I saw a few cases where the penthouse loft, leaking water from the wall, corner edge and ceiling. Do water injection, the leak goes elsewhere.

If the water leaking joint happen to be at the mezzanine level, good luck. The water will wreck your wooden loft floor and steel bar enforcement to be rusty. The worker need to remove part of the mezzanine before they can even do repair.

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's not a penthouse. Just high ceiling.
If your is the highest floor and has a big roof terrace, better don’t do it.

I saw a few cases where the penthouse loft, leaking water from the wall, corner edge and ceiling. Do water injection, the leak goes elsewhere.

If the water leaking joint happen to be at the mezzanine level, good luck. The water will wreck your wooden loft floor and steel bar enforcement to be rusty. The worker need to remove part of the mezzanine before they can even do repair.

ieast

Reaction score
You wont get a satisfactory answer here, the best is get a certified renovation company with experience building loft and let them assess the feasabilty.

yoongf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS,
Think u need to provide more details as to your proposed idea. What do u hv in mind? Lets say u thinking abt getting a car, some will say jazz too small, some will say anything lesser than Q7 is not a car.

Hw big is yr proposed loft?
Existing Ceiling ht is very important. Cannot agar this. Need physically measure.
Some loft are bolted to building structure, some are steel hollow section resting on floor. Some are just supersized wardrobes.
Loft used as living space or for storage? Need aircon up there?
Is a hollow floor acceptable, or must hv solid concrete feeling?

Based on forum member replies, can tell there are many very competent industry professionals here, and almost every industry is represented here. Thats why i believe, its very possible to get serious comments here if enough info is provided. I have gotten many insightful ideas from here too.

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro. Was initially looking for some general sharing and advice.

But I can go into more details. The unit is approx 958sqft, the raised living and dining area makes it 1119 (i.e. raised area is 161 sqft).

I am looking to build a small loft (5sqm) at either the living or the dining room, just big enough to be a working area (a table and chair).

Reason: Planning to use the current study room for storage, hence thinking of building a loft to be used for working. The agent told me the height is 4.6m. TIA!

Original layout:
rCUlUsC.jpg

Marked up:
iULAX7c.jpg

(either blue or green marked up area)

Last edited:

bolster

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro. Was initially looking for some general sharing and advice.

But I can go into more details. The unit is approx 958sqft, the raised living and dining area makes it 1119 (i.e. raised area is 161 sqft).

I am looking to build a small loft (5sqm) at either the living or the dining room, just big enough to be a working area (a table and chair).

Reason: Planning to use the current study room for storage, hence thinking of building a loft to be used for working. The agent told me the height is 4.6m. TIA!

Original layout: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AHjDRHxYzG6pzbNQ6

Marked up: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yqyYFTTBGVfeBdzc9 (either blue or green marked up area)

cant see the picture. which project?
www.ytreporp.com/floorplan.php

I personally witness a lot of people submit 5sqm plan but build a 9sqm.

pawn_king

Reaction score
small loft below 5sqm is really small. considering ikea double loft bed already 4sqm+. as long u dun plan to put much heavy things.

just submit to mcst as "loftbed", not fixture. should have no issues

can take idea from http://bedloft.sg/index.html.
i used this contractor as it was cheaper and they can customise:
the weight taken by 4 "legs", fixed to wall with big bolts to reduce shaking

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Am planning to put a table for work... Considered fixture?

yoongf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A space needs abt 2ft abv the head to feel comfy. Hot air is trapped up there, cold climates dun hv this issue. So agar bottom need 8ft or 2.4m clear height.
Allow for 20cm height of deck thickness. So nw 2.6m. This leaves 2m headroom for upper deck. This is a stuffy environment.

The best space to put the loft is abv dining area, since living area will block balcony view. But both locations also not much space to put the staircase leading up.

My opinion is leave the study as it is. Build a storage area using carpentry method abv the dining area. U will use study more than storage so a bunk bed ladder to go up is sufficient. Perhaps a L shaped catwalk to make it more unique.

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks bro. Hmm probably dining area makes more sense. Allow the light to pass through living room and style ventilation. Won't be jumping around on the loft, it's really a working space. I supposed the ac will be used most of the time too. Maybe a small ventilator can be placed on top.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.