4 Days in Kyoto Itinerary but what Pass to get?

slapshocked

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be in Kyoto from Kanazawa staying in Len Kyoto Kawaramachi from 7th November to 11th November.

My Itinerary are:

7th November
Arrive Kyoto
Check In Len Kyoto Kawaramachi
Explore Kyoto
Walk to Kiyomizu-dera, Sannenzaka, Starbucks, Yasaka Shrine, Mariyama Park, Chion-In

8th November
Explore Kyoto
Morning trip to Arashiyama
Arashiyama Bamboo Forest, Monkey Park, Sagano Romantic Railway, Walk to Giouji, Kimono Forest and Saga Torimoto Preserved Stree
Kinkaku-Ji (Take Randen Tram)
Nijo-Castle

9th November
Explore Kyoto
Fushimi Inari
I have no idea on what to do yet

10th November
Explore Kyoto
Day trip to Nara
Day trip to Himeji
Day trip to Kobe

11th November
Check Out Len Kyoto Kawaramachi
Train to Osaka
Check In Nerarel Hostel Namba
Explore Osaka

I understand that there are many diff types of passes in Kyoto including Tourist only pass like Kansai Thru Pass.

My Question is:

1. For 8th November, is there 1 pass that cover it all? Including Randen Tram from Arashiyama to Kinkaku-Ji? Or should i use Suica card and pay adhoc?
2. On 10th November Im doing a day trip, any pass should i get?
3. Can Kansai Thru Pass cover 8th November and 10th November?

Thanks in Advance.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Highly recommend switching Starbucks to Inoda Coffee. You can pass by it on the way to Yasaka shrine

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
8th November
If you want to take the sagano train, you need to book early for the best time slot, which is usually sunset. At most you can explore Arashiyama and Kinkakuji. Nijo castle most probably not enough time.

9th November
You can combine Fushimi Inari and Nara together. There's a straight line to Nara from here. Check hyperdia for more info. I think it takes about 1hr or so one way.

10th November
You can explore other places that you missed for Kyoto. Check the market and explore local shops if you are into it. You can visit Himeji and Kobe from Osaka if you are staying longer there.

slapshocked

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I only have 1.5 days in Osaka so not enough time.

With Kansai Thru Pass:

9th November
Explore Kyoto
Morning trip to Arashiyama
Arashiyama Bamboo Forest, Monkey Park, Sagano Romantic Railway, Walk to Giouji, Kimono Forest and Saga Torimoto Preserved Stree
Kinkaku-Ji (Take Randen Tram)
Nijo-Castle

10th November
Kyoto-Nara-Himeji-Kobe-Kyoto

11th November
Check Out Len Kyoto Kawaramachi
Kyoto-Osaka

Kansai Thru Pass seems like the best option and i make a lot of saving since Nara to Himeji one way is 2340Yen according to Hyperdia.

Last edited:

eleutheromania

Reaction score
10th November
Explore Kyoto
Day trip to Nara
Day trip to Himeji
Day trip to Kobe

I understand that there are many diff types of passes in Kyoto including Tourist only pass like Kansai Thru Pass.

My Question is:

1. For 8th November, is there 1 pass that cover it all? Including Randen Tram from Arashiyama to Kinkaku-Ji? Or should i use Suica card and pay adhoc?
2. On 10th November Im doing a day trip, any pass should i get?
3. Can Kansai Thru Pass cover 8th November and 10th November?

Thanks in Advance.

I think your schedule will be very tight if you do 3 day trips in a day, to Nara, Himeji and Kobe. Unless you spend little time at each destination.

A day trip to Nara will take half a day. A day trip to Himeji will also take half a day. Of course it also depends on what you want to see and do at each destination.

There are a lot of passes available. Google for the various passes using key words like 'Nara Day Pass', 'Kobe and Himeji Day Pass', etc.

The Kintetsu Rail Pass
xxx.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/english/ticket/krp_1day2day.html
I feel that this is not necessary if you do a one day to Nara and don't utilize the buses.

The Himeji Tourist Pass
xxx-.sanyo-railway.co.jp/global/en/touristpass.html
This pass includes Kobe

There is the Osaka Amazing Pass for 1 day or 2 days.
Have a look at it.

Hope it helps.

P/S: change the xxx to www as I cannot post links yet

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i dont think you need to buy a pass.

just spend more time on a place rather than rushing the itinerary

slapshocked

Reaction score
I think your schedule will be very tight if you do 3 day trips in a day, to Nara, Himeji and Kobe. Unless you spend little time at each destination.

A day trip to Nara will take half a day. A day trip to Himeji will also take half a day. Of course it also depends on what you want to see and do at each destination.

There are a lot of passes available. Google for the various passes using key words like 'Nara Day Pass', 'Kobe and Himeji Day Pass', etc.

The Kintetsu Rail Pass
xxx.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/english/ticket/krp_1day2day.html
I feel that this is not necessary if you do a one day to Nara and don't utilize the buses.

The Himeji Tourist Pass
xxx-.sanyo-railway.co.jp/global/en/touristpass.html
This pass includes Kobe

There is the Osaka Amazing Pass for 1 day or 2 days.
Have a look at it.

Hope it helps.

P/S: change the xxx to www as I cannot post links yet

Thanks.

Upon a few more research i think i will skip Kobe and leave early to Nara and then to Himeji before going back to Kyoto.

So my plan is to make full use of Kansai Thru Pass 3 Day. It cost 5300Yen.

On 9th, i will use the pass to visit Arashiyama Sagano Scenic Railway to the end. Take a bus from Umahori to Arashiyama (not sure if exist, because this pass did not cover JR) and then once back at arashiyama...explore arashiyama before taking the ramden tram to kinkakuji (covered by pass) then back to kyoto stopping by nijo castlw before walking back to kawaramachi...

on the 10th... will utilise the pass to nara...then himeji...and back to kyoto...covered by pass...

on the 11th...will check out early and take train to osaka....and i have 2 full days in osaka which i will use osaka 2 day pass...depends...im not really in the mood of busy town...

i save lots of YEN by doing above...

any advise?

eleutheromania

Reaction score
Thanks.

Upon a few more research i think i will skip Kobe and leave early to Nara and then to Himeji before going back to Kyoto.

On 9th, i will use the pass to visit Arashiyama Sagano Scenic Railway to the end. Take a bus from Umahori to Arashiyama (not sure if exist, because this pass did not cover JR) and then once back at arashiyama...explore arashiyama before taking the ramden tram to kinkakuji (covered by pass) then back to kyoto stopping by nijo castlw before walking back to kawaramachi...

on the 10th... will utilise the pass to nara...then himeji...and back to kyoto...covered by pass...

on the 11th...will check out early and take train to osaka....and i have 2 full days in osaka which i will use osaka 2 day pass...depends...im not really in the mood of busy town...

any advise?

ÂĄ5300 is approximately $67

Hankyu Tourist Pass - ÂĄ700 (1 day) and ÂĄ1200 (2 days) if purchased in Japan
It cost $8.85 (1 day) and $15.19 (2 days) if purchased on Klook
This pass brings you to
If you have checked on Hyperdia, the one way train ride from the Kawaramachi station to the Arashiyama station on the Hankyu line cost ÂĄ230.

The Sagano Romantic Train One Way Ticket cost $16 on Klook.

The Himeji Tourist Pass cost ÂĄ2000.

Himeji is pretty far and you won't be able to use the JR line with the Kansai Thru Pass. It will take you at least 3 hours one way to get from Nara to Himeji. I'm not exactly sure on this. Please check the routing.

It takes 2 hours on the JR line from Nara to Himeji.

Last edited:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

any advise?
I suggest just get jr west kansai area pass for 1 day to cover the trip to himeji.
Non-JR train to himeji require more time

slapshocked

Reaction score
ÂĄ5300 is approximately $67

This pass brings you to
If you have checked on Hyperdia, the one way train ride from the Kawaramachi station to the Arashiyama station on the Hankyu line cost ÂĄ230.

The Sagano Romantic Train One Way Ticket cost $16 on Klook.

The Himeji Tourist Pass cost ÂĄ2000.

Himeji is pretty far and you won't be able to use the JR line with the Kansai Thru Pass. It will take you at least 3 hours one way to get from Nara to Himeji. I'm not exactly sure on this. Please check the routing.

It takes 2 hours on the JR line from Nara to Himeji.

So you suggest the JR Kansai Area Pass to cover for my trip to Nara and Himeji.

And for my trip to Arashiyama; Hankyu Tourist Pass?

How about on my day checkin our Kyoto and train to Osaka? Do the Osaka Amazing Pass cover the ride from Kyoto to Osaka?

eleutheromania

Reaction score
So you suggest the JR Kansai Area Pass to cover for my trip to Nara and Himeji.
No, I did not suggest you getting the JR Kansai Area Pass for Nara and Himeji.

And for my trip to Arashiyama; Hankyu Tourist Pass?
No. Please do your due diligence.

This was what I wrote
This pass brings you to

You said you are staying at Kawaramachi. A one way ticket between Kawaramachi and Arashiyama is ÂĄ230. Therefore, a return ticket is ÂĄ460. The Hankyu Tourist Pass cost ÂĄ700. Obviously, it is not worth getting the Hankyu Tourist Pass.

How about on my day checkin our Kyoto and train to Osaka? Do the Osaka Amazing Pass cover the ride from Kyoto to Osaka?

There's various railway companies that does the distance between Osaka and Kyoto. There's the Hankyu line, Kintetsu line and JR line, etc. It is up to you how you want to get there. I am sure you can Google and find out if the Osaka Amazing Pass will cover that.

slapshocked

Reaction score
No, I did not suggest you getting the JR Kansai Area Pass for Nara and Himeji.

No. Please do your due diligence.

This was what I wrote

You said you are staying at Kawaramachi. A one way ticket between Kawaramachi and Arashiyama is ÂĄ230. Therefore, a return ticket is ÂĄ460. The Hankyu Tourist Pass cost ÂĄ700. Obviously, it is not worth getting the Hankyu Tourist Pass.

There's various railway companies that does the distance between Osaka and Kyoto. There's the Hankyu line, Kintetsu line and JR line, etc. It is up to you how you want to get there. I am sure you can Google and find out if the Osaka Amazing Pass will cover that.

Thanks.

Nope, not going to arashiyama and back, thats too simple.

im doing kyoto to umahori,
umahori walk to kameoka.
kameoka to arashiyama with sagano railway. explore arashiyama.
ramden train to kinkakuji.
kinkakuji to nijo castle.
nijo castle back to kawaramachi.
that is why its not really obvious :)

tc4237

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The 10th day, its just not feasible. Unless u shinkansen everything. Which is damn ex, and still unlikely to enjoy each location properly.

U can try kobe and Himeiji on 10th. But going to either 1 will already take up half to 3/4 a day. It will be a long day.

Nara,put with fushimi like someone suggested. Don't forget, in nara still need to take bus to attractions.

luvenergy

Reaction score
i bought the kansai area pass 2400 yen..it covers the cost for me..
osaka-himeji-kobe-osaka..but i dun recommend this route as in the end i’ve too little time for kobe..himeji jr station to himeji castle is a long walk like 20 mins at least...

slapshocked

Reaction score
Thanks for the reccomendation, i have rearrange my itinerary.

7th Nov
- Arrive Kyoto from Kanazawa
- Stay at Kawaramachi
- Walk to Kiyomizu-dera, Sannenzaka, Starbucks, Inoda Coffee, Yasaka Shrine, Mariyama Park, Chion-In, Walk back along the Kawo River

8th Nov
- Explore Arashiyama
- Ramden Train to Kinkaku Ji
- Kinkaku Ji to Nijo Castle
- Back to Kawaramachi

9th Nov
- Kyoto to Himeji
- Himeji to Kobe
- Kobe to Kyoto
Using JR Kansai Area Pass for this.

10th Nov
- Kyoto to Fushimi Inari
- Fushimi Inari to Nara Park, Mount Wakakusa
- JR Nara to Kyoto

11th Nov
- Kyoto to Osaka

wsoybean

Reaction score
I was at Kyoto/Osaka last year mid Nov'19 for 9 days. Let me share my itinerary next few days for better inside.

Sagano Romantic train at Arashimaya is a nice ride passing thru mountains and riverbanks , with beautiful autumn sceneries on both sides. Book thru Klook to secure your seats at least 2 weeks before when it is open for booking to reserve your desire date (am/pm). You have to monitor early and closely at Klook website , else your desire date will snap up fast. On actual day, you can exchange your train tickets from any sagano station for open carriage ticket (at Car #5 , better view)

wsoybean

Reaction score
Just sharing my Osaka/Kyoto Nov'18 trip, spread out my activities to avoid fatique ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buy Kansai Area Pass 1-Day, Sagano Train Tickets, USJ Tickets from Klook.
Buy Kansai One Pass (Limited Icoca card)
Buy Osaka Amazing Pass (Optional)

Day 1 (Osaka)
-Late evening flight & Osaka hotel checkin
-Visit Dotonbori Area

Day 2 (Osaka)
-Morning to Osaka Castle
-Lunch visit to Kuromon Ichiba Market
-Afternoon to Osaka Aquarium / Tempozan Ferris Wheel / Santa Maria Cruise

Day 3 (Osaka)
-Universal Studios Japan

Day 4 (Osaka to Kyoto)
-Morning rest
-AM checkout Osaka hotel, PM checkin Kyoto hotel
-Visit to Fushimi-Inari-Taisha Shrine after 3pm
-Early sunset view 445-5pm
-Night illumination visit to temple (Optional)

Day 5 (Western Kyoto)
-Travel to Arashiyama
-Morning visit to Arashiyama Bamboo Grove /Nonomiya Shrine
-Morning visit to Tenryu-ji Temple
-Afternoon explore Togetukyo Bridge area
-Afternoon take Sagano Romantic Train (Reverse route from Kameoka Torroko Station > Arashiyama Torokko Station)
-Return to downtown Kyoto

Day 6 (Eastern Kyoto)
-Buy Kyoto City One-day Bus Pass (600yen)
-Morning bus to Kiyomizu-dera Temple / Jishu Shrine / Otowa Waterfall
-Afternoon walk down hill towards Sannen-zaka ,Ninen-zaka, Yasaka Shrine

Day 7 (Nara - half day)
-Kintetsu Kyoto Station to Kintetsu Nara Station
-Visit Kofukuji Temple / Todaiji Temple / Nara Park
-Return to Kyoto

Day 8 (Kyoto to Osaka)
-Morning visit to Nijo Castle by bus
-Lunch visit to Nishiki Market
-PM Kyoto checkout and return to Osaka hotel

Day 9 (Himeiji /Kobe/Osaka)
-Morning to Himeiji Stn (Use Kansai Area Pass 1Day)
-Visit Himeiji Castle
-After lunch travel to Kobe (Sannomiya stn)
-Visit Chinatown area (Motomachi/Nankinmachi)
-Kobe Beef Steakland
-Late evening travel back to Osaka

Day 10 (Osaka)
-Visit shinsaibashi
-Other areas

Day11 (Osaka)
-Last min shopping
-Return flight

Last edited:

slapshocked

Reaction score
I was at Kyoto/Osaka last year mid Nov'19 for 9 days. Let me share my itinerary next few days for better inside.

Sagano Romantic train at Arashimaya is a nice ride passing thru mountains and riverbanks , with beautiful autumn sceneries on both sides. Book thru Klook to secure your seats at least 2 weeks before when it is open for booking to reserve your desire date (am/pm). You have to monitor early and closely at Klook website , else your desire date will snap up fast. On actual day, you can exchange your train tickets from any sagano station for open carriage ticket (at Car #5 , better view)

Hi. I dont get it the on the actual day part. You mean, what is open carriage ticket? The one from Klook not open carriage?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.