learning japanese

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
My company would like to sponsor the language class and I was given a list of schools to choose from:

• Agape School of Education
  • Inlingua School of Languages
  • JCS Japanese Language School

Any recommendation/experiences from the above 3 schools?

JCS will be a popular recommendation cause its one of the 'official' Japanese Language schools

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My company would like to sponsor the language class and I was given a list of schools to choose from:

Heard of JCS but not the other 2.

Janetsk

Reaction score

Don't think you can go very wrong with an established school like JCS.

Hidari346

Reaction score

The most well-known Japanese language schools are JCS, Ikoma and Bunka. JCS is the cheapest and Ikoma most expensive irrc.

Perhaps find out from your company the type of courses they are willing to sponsor - JCS has multiple types of classes, e.g. JLPT-focused courses, conversational classes.

JCS also has a small library - when I was still a student there, the membership was only $10 per year.

ycycyc

Reaction score
If anyone wants to study at ikoma for basic hit me up

If anyone wants to study at ikoma for basic hit me up. Speech practise and join study

equatorman

Reaction score
Japanese classes

Anyone knows where to find local Japanese classes conducted in Mandarin ? Finding for a relative as older generation command of english not that good.

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows where to find local Japanese classes conducted in Mandarin ? Finding for a relative as older generation command of english not that good.

Does your relative good in computer / internet, and also can read Chinese traditional characters?

I'm asking this, because I'm also learning Japanese in Chinese language.

However, I'm learning Japanese with a Taiwanese teacher.

He has online courses, from beginning up to N1 level.

I bought the course, and whenever I want to learn, I just opened the course and learn. Anytime, even midnight too.

And no, the course bought will not expire. If I bought last year, I still can learn the course this year or next year.

I'm learning from him because:

1. I couldn't find learning Japanese course in Chinese language over here in Singapore.
2. The course is much cheaper as compared to here (about 30% - 50% cheaper).
3. I can learn anytime I want.
4. He teaches a lot of things which typical textbook doesn't teach.

Btw, sometimes he might also do FB live, have a few questions asked by students, and explained the questions and why the answer is this and not that.... This is usually on Sunday nights, 9 pm.

Oh ya, currently he also has published 4 learning Japanese books, and seems like 2 more are also confirmed to be published.

Last edited:

equatorman

Reaction score
Yes they are quite literate in mandarin, but they would probably prefer face-to-face classes. Seems like after all these years, there is still not much language schools or community centre providing Japanese learning in Chinese. If there's really no language school providing such service might just consider a private tutor despite the higher cost. But older people usually have loads of free time and spending power, only good side is classes have more people to practice and interact with.

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether private tutor over here teaches Japanese language (or another language) using Chinese language....

Fujima

Reaction score
thinking of continuing learning jap with hougang jap sch (as opposed to learn from scratch) but was told over phone they do not follow/use minna no nihongo?

appreciate any first hand inputs from those who studied there :o

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thinking of continuing learning jap with hougang jap sch (as opposed to learn from scratch) but was told over phone they do not follow/use minna no nihongo?

appreciate any first hand inputs from those who studied there :o

Did my Beginner and Intermediate studies there.

The text that they use is the "father" of Minna no Nihongo. Dont think you would have much problems there.

Fujima

Reaction score
Did my Beginner and Intermediate studies there.

The text that they use is the "father" of Minna no Nihongo. Dont think you would have much problems there.

much obliged

am I right to presume then that elementary 1 translates to book 1 of minna no nihongo, elementary 2 book 2 and so on?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
much obliged

am I right to presume then that elementary 1 translates to book 1 of minna no nihongo, elementary 2 book 2 and so on?

Not so, but similar.

Elementary 1: Similar to L1-L10 of MNN
Elementary 2: Similar to L11-L20 of MNN
Intermediate 1: Similar to L21-L30 of MNN
Intermediate 2: Similar to L31-L40 of MNN
Advance 1: Similar to L41-L50 of MNN

You should go down to the place, take a look at their textbook before deciding.

For teachers, i recommend Nakai (JP native) or Sai (TW lady)

chemcutie

Reaction score
Hello I am gg to ask a very off topic question but I was reading lyrics to a song and came across 忙しい read as せわしい. Is there any difference to the meaning if it’s read as いそがしい or せわしい. And 忙しい when you use いそがしい and when to use せわしい.

Thank you

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello I am gg to ask a very off topic question but I was reading lyrics to a song and came across 忙しい read as せわしい. Is there any difference to the meaning if it’s read as いそがしい or せわしい. And 忙しい when you use いそがしい and when to use せわしい.

Thank you

Hope this clarifies.

「せわしい」+「ない」で成り立っています。

「ない」というと「〜ない」と否定を表す言葉をイメージしますが、この場合の「ない」は強調を表します。
ですので、「せわしない」は「忙しくない」という意味ではなく、「忙しいこと」を強調していることになります。

chemcutie

Reaction score
Hope this clarifies.

「せわしい」+「ない」で成り立っています。

「ない」というと「〜ない」と否定を表す言葉をイメージしますが、この場合の「ない」は強調を表します。
ですので、「せわしない」は「忙しくない」という意味ではなく、「忙しいこと」を強調していることになります。

Wow super cheem on the usage of this.

ichinisan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are there any Japanese schools to recommend which accepts the use of Skillsfuture credits?

iolanthe

Reaction score
Conference meetings in Japanese

Hi all,

I'd be jumping into a conference meeting and I'm wondering if things are said differently as compared to a face to face meeting.

I know that when we first meet a person, we say "初めまして。XXXと申します。よろしくお願いします。" But what if it's meeting the person first time during a conference call. Does it still apply the same way?

Are there any other things to take note of that may be different? Thank you!

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd be jumping into a conference meeting and I'm wondering if things are said differently as compared to a face to face meeting.

I know that when we first meet a person, we say "初めまして。XXXと申します。よろしくお願いします。" But what if it's meeting the person first time during a conference call. Does it still apply the same way?

Are there any other things to take note of that may be different? Thank you!
depends if your company has already got dealings with the other company?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.