Wechat wallet

tazzi80

Master Member
Reaction score
when did you use it? China changes their rules & regulations often. previously can transfer $ to wechat wallet now can't.

Great if netspay works, I dont mind paying the transaction fee for small purchases so long as it is convenient.

Since last year already can use. But only big stores accept union pay. Those small shops usually don't. So have to still fall back on cash.

alvino

Reaction score
Since last year already can use. But only big stores accept union pay. Those small shops usually don't. So have to still fall back on cash.

Few questions if anyone can contribute.

NETSPay can tie to savings accounts I tried setting up. Seems like I can only add my filed Visa.

Anyway if must be big stores in China, then might as well use visa/master ?

Any advantages with NETSPay ?

BiG_FisH

Master Member
Reaction score
really wish that Alipay/Wechat can allow foreigners to utilize the cashless payment modes...it's really such a hassle to transact in cash when the merchants clearly don't favour that.

comex_1

Reaction score
Foreigners can have Wechat Pay, just need put money in, since foreigners do not have China bank Acc, need to ask someone transfer in.

really wish that Alipay/Wechat can allow foreigners to utilize the cashless payment modes...it's really such a hassle to transact in cash when the merchants clearly don't favour that.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Foreigners can have Wechat Pay, just need put money in, since foreigners do not have China bank Acc, need to ask someone transfer in.

I believe it will not work if you are referring to ask your friends with proper wechat/Alipay wallet to send you red packets or transfer money to you.

On the other hand, there are various online platforms which seem to be still working. So there must be some ways to transfer money in. I have not tried these online platforms though since I still have enough money in my wechat wallet -- I used wechat wallet balance to pay for QQ Music VIP and Youku VIP recently.

BiG_FisH

Master Member
Reaction score

I'm not 100% sure but I read that asking locals (or whoever that has a full fledged working eWallet) to transfer you 红包 doesn't work for cashless point of sales.

Need more people to advise.

comex_1

Reaction score
Red packet cannot, but transfer can.
anyway, try on your wechat app to set up wallet. Tap Discover from the bottom menu, and search wallet, open my wallet, add card.

I believe it will not work if you are referring to ask your friends with proper wechat/Alipay wallet to send you red packets or transfer money to you.

On the other hand, there are various online platforms which seem to be still working. So there must be some ways to transfer money in. I have not tried these online platforms though since I still have enough money in my wechat wallet -- I used wechat wallet balance to pay for QQ Music VIP and Youku VIP recently.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Red packet cannot, but transfer can.
anyway, try on your wechat app to set up wallet. Tap Discover from the bottom menu, and search wallet, open my wallet, add card.

If transfer works for you then it is good for you. It does not work for me anyway.

On the other hand if you have a mainland China bank card to link to, then everything will work.

comex_1

Reaction score
Have you verified youe identity? eg, Singapore passport no and Bank Acc?

If transfer works for you then it is good for you. It does not work for me anyway.

On the other hand if you have a mainland China bank card to link to, then everything will work.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you verified youe identity? eg, Singapore passport no and Bank Acc?

Yes. I have done that.

In fact both red packet and transfer worked until July 2019 for me. But then it stopped working in August 2019 once the system prompted me to add a mainland China bank card.

Last edited:

comex_1

Reaction score
May be it could do to the different version of Wechat. you may need to reverify.
Try to do the following;
under Wallet, select Money, and on the new window, select receive money, and see whether you can select Passport for verification.

Yes. I have done that.

In fact both red packet and transfer worked until July 2019 for me. But then it stopped working in August 2019 once the system prompted me to add a mainland China bank card.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May be it could do to the different version of Wechat. you may need to reverify.
Try to do the following;
under Wallet, select Money, and on the new window, select receive money, and see whether you can select Passport for verification.

Been there, done that.

Anyway, no need to convince me. If you looked back a few pages, I was giving suggestions like this to others last year and earlier this year.

But then I know that Tencent is tightening the control and one by one the tricks will stop working.

Last edited:

tazzi80

Master Member
Reaction score
Am in China now again. Used netsPay in supermarket and some convenient stores which accept union pay. Still working. Rest just use cash not too much of a problem still widely accepted.

JT2008

Reaction score
Am in China now again. Used netsPay in supermarket and some convenient stores which accept union pay. Still working. Rest just use cash not too much of a problem still widely accepted.

What is the exchange rate?

comex_1

Reaction score
If your wechat is verified with identity (include Singapore passport and bank CC), you should at least able to receive money on Windows PC version wechat.

Been there, done that.

Anyway, no need to convince me. If you looked back a few pages, I was giving suggestions like this to others last year and earlier this year.

But then I know that Tencent is tightening the control and one by one the tricks will stop working.

Myu~sun

Master Member
Reaction score
If your wechat is verified with identity (include Singapore passport and bank CC), you should at least able to receive money on Windows PC version wechat.

do you happen to know whats the limit that you can received using this method ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.