Back from South island New Zealand

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Noted on that as I was looking through the various flight times. The arrival time to Christchurch is 0930hrs (depart 19:50 the day before from Changi). Departing from Christchurch 10:30am. 14 Days will become a 12 Day due to time differences and flight journey.

Thanks, I will focus on the South as this will be our first time there. Is $1098 ~ $1398 a good deal for direct flight on SQ to Christchurch? Cheapest i find is $1098. Thank you

$1098 SQ direct is considered not bad. Usually it is $12xx to 13xx.

Read that your intended travel date is May. That was the same date I travelled to South island this year. I bought the air ticket from SG to CC for $900 during 2018 Nov black Fri sale with qantas airline. Not direct as there was a transit in Melbourne and reach there at 1pm after depart SG night.

I would say May is very good month to travel NZ. It is considered off peak season. Weather is cool about 15 deg to 18 deg in day and fall as low as 5 deg at night.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1098 for the month of May. Autumn going winter. weather should be okay right?

Then maybe normal pricing? If it's nearer end of year then should consider cheaper. U can take a look at Google flights to see flight price history then you will know cheap anot liao.

Not sure on weather. Will be cold but also see how u can tahan cold weather.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$1098 SQ direct is considered not bad. Usually it is $12xx to 13xx.

Read that your intended travel date is May. That was the same date I travelled to South island this year. I bought the air ticket from SG to CC for $900 during 2018 Nov black Fri sale with qantas airline. Not direct as there was a transit in Melbourne and reach there at 1pm after depart SG night.

I would say May is very good month to travel NZ. It is considered off peak season. Weather is cool about 15 deg to 18 deg in day and fall as low as 5 deg at night.
I read about that, May is shoulder off-peak season, autumn going winter. Last check few months back, the direct flight cost $1400+. So i think $1098 is good deal.

15 degrees to 18 Degrees is cool for the day. 5 Degrees at night is just right.

How is the trip going for you?

Then maybe normal pricing? If it's nearer end of year then should consider cheaper. U can take a look at Google flights to see flight price history then you will know cheap anot liao.

Not sure on weather. Will be cold but also see how u can tahan cold weather.

end of the year? I though end of the year (Summer) should be more expensive? Normally summer more expensive right?

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read about that, May is shoulder off-peak season, autumn going winter. Last check few months back, the direct flight cost $1400+. So i think $1098 is good deal.

end of the year? I though end of the year (Summer) should be more expensive? Normally summer more expensive right?

Except of 1 day of heavy shower throughout the day, the rest of the weather was very good for me. Either Cloudy and sunny.

On that rainy day. Lucky that I was driving from Hotikita to wanaka where I have no plan to visit any attractions along the way and It took me about 6 hours plus to reach there.

For Queenstown. U can save your parking fee by parking at park Street or the garden car park beside it. It is free for passenger cars. It is just a leisure 10 mins walk to the town centre. But if u rent a campervan. Then I can't help u liao. But there is car park for motor home at the town area but it is usually in high demand.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yeah. I said that the pricing you mentioned is cheaper if it's end of the year

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Except of 1 day of heavy shower throughout the day, the rest of the weather was very good for me. Either Cloudy and sunny.

On that rainy day. Lucky that I was driving from Hotikita to wanaka where I have no plan to visit any attractions along the way and It took me about 6 hours plus to reach there.

For Queenstown. U can save your parking fee by parking at park Street or the garden car park beside it. It is free for passenger cars. It is just a leisure 10 mins walk to the town centre. But if u rent a campervan. Then I can't help u liao. But there is car park for motor home at the town area but it is usually in high demand.

nice. I'm locking in the dates soon and book air tickets. Thereafter, I need to consider whether campervan or car. I have roughly 8 people. I'm considering campervan.

But looking on other alternatives is to rent car and stay in hostels or guesthouse along the way. Not sure which is better or more comfortable.

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nice. I'm locking in the dates soon and book air tickets. Thereafter, I need to consider whether campervan or car. I have roughly 8 people. I'm considering campervan.

But looking on other alternatives is to rent car and stay in hostels or guesthouse along the way. Not sure which is better or more comfortable.

Every passenger needs a seatbelt so you might have problems with 8 in a campervan as the max I have seen is only 6 passengers.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Every passenger needs a seatbelt so you might have problems with 8 in a campervan as the max I have seen is only 6 passengers.

I will probably get 2 campervans, so more spaces to sleep in. Should be okay right

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will probably get 2 campervans, so more spaces to sleep in. Should be okay right

You will have to factor in costs (rental, fuel, Holiday parks), number of drivers in your party and family composition. If you have never tried a campervan, NZ is a good destination to try as the infrastructure for motorhome travel is very good.

Audexi

Reaction score
2 campers would double the costs of campsite fees. Electricity, fuel etc. Do consider. NZ is quite nice by camper and, some of the trips are a bit long, if you have 2 drivers per campervan, it'll be ideal.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You will have to factor in costs (rental, fuel, Holiday parks), number of drivers in your party and family composition. If you have never tried a campervan, NZ is a good destination to try as the infrastructure for motorhome travel is very good.

Thanks. I am now trying to estimate the cost of campervans for the trip. Rental, Insurance, Petrol, campsites (fees).

I've read that some campsites are payable by per person? This would greatly increase the costs if we were to park at campsites with around 8 people.

Heard about freedom camping sites which can camp for free, but the campervan must be self-contained right?

Thank you all for the advise.

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am now trying to estimate the cost of campervans for the trip. Rental, Insurance, Petrol, campsites (fees).

I've read that some campsites are payable by per person? This would greatly increase the costs if we were to park at campsites with around 8 people.

Heard about freedom camping sites which can camp for free, but the campervan must be self-contained right?

Thank you all for the advise.

Most campsites have a base fee for 2 adults and additional fee for every adult/child. I signed up for a membership with Top10 Holiday Parks which then gave me discounts, effectively paying for the membership fee and more. I didn’t try freedom camping because my family members are huge water and electricity consumers, so didn’t feel confident about lasting the night out there :)

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 campers would double the costs of campsite fees. Electricity, fuel etc. Do consider. NZ is quite nice by camper and, some of the trips are a bit long, if you have 2 drivers per campervan, it'll be ideal.

Noted on that, thanks. Because there are around 8 people travelling on this trip, hence was thinking to get 2 campervans. Not sure if 8 people can fit in one campervans or should I go for bigger motorhome instead.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most campsites have a base fee for 2 adults and additional fee for every adult/child. I signed up for a membership with Top10 Holiday Parks which then gave me discounts, effectively paying for the membership fee and more. I didn’t try freedom camping because my family members are huge water and electricity consumers, so didn’t feel confident about lasting the night out there :)

So they calculate based on how many heads and not the campervan itself? So let's say i have 8 adults and 1 big campervan, meaning i'll just pay for 8 adults?

From your point of view, worth getting the membership?

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So they calculate based on how many heads and not the campervan itself? So let's say i have 8 adults and 1 big campervan, meaning i'll just pay for 8 adults?

From your point of view, worth getting the membership?

In the first place, there isn’t a campervan big enough for 8. The biggest that I know of is only 6. Assuming 6, the fee would be base fee plus 4 extra people. You would need to calculate the number of nights you plan to stay at Top10 to know if the discounts would offset the membership fee.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the first place, there isn’t a campervan big enough for 8. The biggest that I know of is only 6. Assuming 6, the fee would be base fee plus 4 extra people. You would need to calculate the number of nights you plan to stay at Top10 to know if the discounts would offset the membership fee.
Thank you. 8 people, might need to get 2 campervan (4 ppl each). Read that May is the cheapest month for campervans.

Any recommendations on which company should I go for? Apollo ?

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you. 8 people, might need to get 2 campervan (4 ppl each). Read that May is the cheapest month for campervans.

Any recommendations on which company should I go for? Apollo ?

I used Wilderness and Maui for my past visits. In fact, I booked Britz but was offered a Maui at pickup as they are under the same parent company. There is a 3rd brand which I cannot recall now. So the vehicles are the same but branded differently due to age. Consider the items offered under each quote and the vehicle configuration you like.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used Wilderness and Maui for my past visits. In fact, I booked Britz but was offered a Maui at pickup as they are under the same parent company. There is a 3rd brand which I cannot recall now. So the vehicles are the same but branded differently due to age. Consider the items offered under each quote and the vehicle configuration you like.

I've seen the youtube videos for Wilderness and Apollo. Wilderness price is on the high side, but they look more premium.

What was the price you paid per day for your wilderness and Maui campervan?

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I can't recall the daily rates but there was a very good promo offer from Wilderness in June 2017 because the British & Irish Lions rugby team was touring NZ too. The discounted rental and insurance rates further included unlimited data and unlimited road usage charge. I discovered the differences when I was planning my return trip in July 2018 :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.