Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi batuchka,

I am sooooooo fortunate today to have encountered an uncle who happen be an expert and he fixed it for me free of charge. I surely need to buy him something to show my appreciation the next time I see him.

Based on your #1, I used allan key to loosen one metal part which releases the brake pads********* grip on the rotating wheel. That was the cause of making the bike *********too heavy to ride*********. My ride suddenly becomes much smoother. Although some parts of the journey requires me to exert more energy to move, the resistance becomes easier to overcome and no longer paralyzing until I cannot even move. I guess lower end models are not suitable for riding on ascending roads.

But then, the brake pad becomes loosely dangling and then I realize that my hind brake handle becomes not so effective, but still alright and working. The loosening affects the brake cable positioning which in turn affects the brake handle.

So I asked this uncle, who happens to be at void deck, *********is it alright to leave the brake pads dangling like this?*********. Due to his *********kiasee*********ness, he has all the tools on his bike, and he spent about 20-30 minutes slowly doing the alignment to get the best combination, using his tools.

One brake pad is attached to the lower part of a vertical metal. One vertical metal appears on each side of the wheel, total of 2. Horizontal metal cable connects the top part of these 2 vertical metals. On this whole structure that I described, there are several adjustable points. Some are adjusted with allen key and one is adjusted with screwdriver. The horizontal cable is also adjustable. Adjusting one point affects the positioning of other points which will also affect the hind brake handle. As I am not technical student during my school days, I could not understand the whole structure when observing him performing the adjustments. But I feel I should learn a bit of the simple stuff so that in future I can DIY if the need arises, instead of depending on the repair shop.

I am not sure if you can visualise my description above, but doesn*********t matter, problem is solved. Nevertheless, thanks so much for your thoughtfulness and willingness to help. Good night
:)

Wall of text with not easy to decipher descriptions.

Anyway... Just check that u can brake safely can already.

U try to spin the wheels n see whether the rims are true or not... If one side of the rim wall sometimes is far away from brake pads and sometimes it is very close, it means the wheels are not true n thus need to loosen the brakes.... If u loosen it too much... U compromise on safety.

Posted from PCWX using BLA-L29

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All these people here ride lousy bikes still dare to say hobbyist

Depends how u define low end bikes. I have seen people on low end bikes ride faster than people who own high end bikes. What's the big deal here? Do u gauge by the value of bike, the stamina n speed of the rider, or the amount of time spent on bike n bike related stuffs (like reading/watching)?

I ever tiagong before... The enthusiast must own 7 bikes leh. Really is laugh die me.

Last edited:

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2k for bicycle is a good gauge

Without 2k budget for a new bike is quite a fair bit to compromise. Later buy liao say shifting lousy, not enough gears, the bike is heavy, the brakes no good, the wheels too slow. Blah blah. Blame it on own stingy lor. of coz it's still ok to start with a low end bike but later don't nitpick the bike lor.

Last edited:

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends how u define low end bikes. I have seen people on low end bikes ride faster than people who own high end bikes. What's the big deal here? Do u gauge by the value of bike, the stamina n speed of the rider, or the amount of time spent on bike n bike related stuffs (like reading/watching)?

I ever tiagong before... The enthusiast must own 7 bikes leh. Really is laugh die me.

Reminds me of the NTU bike rallies i went so far. Saw a few Bainchi and Pinarello Dogma bikes with Dura Ace group-set pushing their bicycles up Mandai road. And surprisingly, I also saw a guy cycling on his old, rusty aleoca MTB and cleared mandai with ease. :s13:

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the NTU bike rallies i went so far. Saw a few Bainchi and Pinarello Dogma bikes with Dura Ace group-set pushing their bicycles up Mandai road. And surprisingly, I also saw a guy cycling on his old, rusty aleoca MTB and cleared mandai with ease.
:s13:

Ya i saw many pina that day... Dunno is oem or not.

Nipponho

Reaction score
How much u paid? Dump it la. China boy used until cannot make it liao then want to sell away.

Aleoca + prc = deadly combo

60 bucks. There is a lot of buying and selling on cheena people's website because some just arrived in Sg while some is leaving for good. Doesn't mean that they sell it because it is spoilt. Many selling at $60-80 are still functional. But in Carousell, some of these people are ridiculous. Brakes spoil, tyres spoil, seat picha, yet they still dare to sell at $60

I am not a hobbyist and don't go for bike rallies. Just need a simple one to go to nearby places, eg. temple, or to buy something, or to hawker centres. A cheapo and modest one suffices

Anyway, it is now working fine, just that for severely ascending slopes, i must dismount and push.

Nipponho

Reaction score
Wall of text with not easy to decipher descriptions.

Anyway... Just check that u can brake safely can already.

U try to spin the wheels n see whether the rims are true or not... If one side of the rim wall sometimes is far away from brake pads and sometimes it is very close, it means the wheels are not true n thus need to loosen the brakes.... If u loosen it too much... U compromise on safety.

Thanks for your guidance. The uncle adjusted for me and is now OK. I asked him to loosen all the way, and he said the same thing as what you said. So need to find a balance between safety and loosening. Can still brake promptly, no problem

Delsamor

Banned
Reaction score
Bro, it's bike enthusiasts 7 bikes, cycling enthusiasts 40-50km/h no less on road. :o

hk7310

Reaction score
Asking expert option

I would like to get a better bicycle for normal use and commuting around our community for grocery etc.

My prime consideration is to get a budget bicycle, that is ride smoothly, less effortlessly, and most importantly don't breakdown easily.

Shortlist Polygon cascade 3 and Rocketeer Riverside 500C1. Budget $400

Thanks in advance

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asking expert option

I would like to get a better bicycle for normal use and commuting around our community for grocery etc.

My prime consideration is to get a budget bicycle, that is ride smoothly, less effortlessly, and most importantly don't breakdown easily.

Thanks in advance

I think polygon n decathlon bikes are respectable for a low budget bike.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asking expert option

Thanks in advance

if it were between those 2 i would pick the Riverside 500 cos Decathlon offers lifetime warranty for the frame and my experience with them w.r.t returns/warranty have only been excellent and they inspire confidence ;) If over at Decathlon you could also get the front/rear rack and the bike tech might even help to install on the spot after payment if u feel racks are in order ^^

hk7310

Reaction score
Do you have any other suggestions or recommendation beside those two model? Other brand will be fine as well

if it were between those 2 i would pick the Riverside 500 cos Decathlon offers lifetime warranty for the frame and my experience with them w.r.t returns/warranty have only been excellent and they inspire confidence ;) If over at Decathlon you could also get the front/rear rack and the bike tech might even help to install on the spot after payment if u feel racks are in order ^^

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

hk7310

Reaction score

slenderman

Reaction score
if i want to cycle and there is no park connector, is it okay to cycle on road? or need cycle on pavement

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if i want to cycle and there is no park connector, is it okay to cycle on road? or need cycle on pavement

yes cyclists are allowed to cycle on roads but also depends if you have road confidence and do follow traffic/road rules + dress visibly, install rear/front lights if doing so after dark ya ^^

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.