Back from South island New Zealand

angy

Reaction score
Thank you. 8 people, might need to get 2 campervan (4 ppl each). Read that May is the cheapest month for campervans.

Any recommendations on which company should I go for? Apollo ?

There are reasons why the prices are low during May and leading towards the winter seasons.
a. day light savings will be gone by then that means, the days will be getting shorter.
b. the temperature will be getting colder.

Given that you have a group of 8, you will have to hire 2 campervans. In my opinions, having two campervans will slow down the journey as it will be either the back car driving too slow and/or the front car driving too fast.

My advice for you when comes to hiring a campervan is not to look at the price but when it offers. Safety and comfort should never be comprised.

Questions you might want to ask are
a. Do you intend to sleep in the campervans for transport only and sleep in motels all nights,
b. or do you intend to sleep some of the times in the campervans.

Remember 8 people going means, at least 8 big luggages. Where are you going to park the 8 luggages. If you say you are staying in motels each night, then you only need to hire a 8 seater van and a station wagon to carry the luggages.

Do the maths, sometimes campervans hiring could be more expensive than motels.

If you elect to sleep in the campervan, the main driver must have a good sleep. Driving the next day with a lousy sleep is asking for trouble in an unknown land.

gtcia05

Reaction score
Do I exchange New Zealand currency in Singapore?

Hi!

May I check whether it is better to exchange Nz money in Singapore before I travel to NZ, or is it better to exchange at NZ?

Thanks!!!

I'mpossible

Reaction score
Hi!

May I check whether it is better to exchange Nz money in Singapore before I travel to NZ, or is it better to exchange at NZ?

Thanks!!!

I heard its better to change in SG.. but may be wrong.

Any chance anyone have NZD cash for change in SG? looking to go NZ soon

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I only change NZ$500 when I was there in 10 days.

Most of the transactions were thru Credit card. Such as groceries at pak n save and petrol.

MoneyHoney

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi. Anyone using Youtrip card during New Zealand trip? Is it recommended and convenience to use?

Definitely recommended...either use Youtrip or Transferwise or Revolut... almost everywhere can use card as payment... (the only time I was forced to use cash was when I was in Mt Cook and their phone reception signal was hit for about 36 hours...can't use phone or credit card transactions during that period)

I heard its better to change in SG.. but may be wrong.

Any chance anyone have NZD cash for change in SG? looking to go NZ soon

If you walk around The Arcade at any point of time and you check the exchange rate using Youtrip app, can clearly see that Youtrip always has better rates...

That said, if u change too much NZD cash u can always change back (albeit at a loss) but if u pump SGD into Youtrip, u can never take it out liao. (but u can just use it for ur other trips in future)

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, planning to drive (2 pax) from Christchurch - Lake Takapo - Mt Cook - Wanaka - Queenstown. Have 8 days there. is it too long/ short?
-Should collect car from airport or spend 1-2 days in City and do city collection? Any suggested car rental companies? (apart from budget/avis/hertz).
-And is it safer to rent a sedan (can store luggage safely out of view)
- hotels/ motels/inns easy to find along the way?

TIA!

Last edited:

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, planning to drive (2 pax) from Christchurch - Lake Takapo - Mt Cook - Wanaka - Queenstown. Have 8 days there. is it too long/ short?
-Should collect car from airport or spend 1-2 days in City and do city collection? Any suggested car rental companies? (apart from budget/avis/hertz).

TIA!

As u r not going to the West Coast (Hotikita and the 2 glaciers) and milford sound. I think 8 days on your trip are quite OK. Seem to me that u r arriving at CC and depart from Queenstown?

Since your trip is just 8 days at most. My suggestion is not to spend 2 days on Christchurch. Just rent and collect the car from the airport and u will reach main city within 15 mins. Spend your arrival day exploring the city and to recover after a long flight. Many travellers here liked to use apex car rental. I am one of them also.

Between sedan and hatchback/SUV. Hatchback and suv are the one that u can dumped and place your luggage and barang barang easier inside. Except for rental cars. Most NZ and Australia usually don't buy sedans.

Once your trip is confirmed. Plan ahead on the accommodation to save cost and not reaching there to start to look when u need to. Hotelcombined is a good site to find and usually I go for free cancellation so I can cancel it if there are changes in my itinerary.

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score

TIA!

Nothing in Christchurch really worth spending time on compared to other places but best to ensure you rest fully before driving out.

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As u r not going to the West Coast (Hotikita and the 2 glaciers) and milford sound. I think 8 days on your trip are quite OK. Seem to me that u r arriving at CC and depart from Queenstown?

Since your trip is just 8 days at most. My suggestion is not to spend 2 days on Christchurch. Just rent and collect the car from the airport and u will reach main city within 15 mins. Spend your arrival day exploring the city and to recover after a long flight. Many travellers here liked to use apex car rental. I am one of them also.

Between sedan and hatchback/SUV. Hatchback and suv are the one that u can dumped and place your luggage and barang barang easier inside. Except for rental cars. Most NZ and Australia usually don't buy sedans.

is excess coverage via the rental companies or we buy ourselves outside better?
Once your trip is confirmed. Plan ahead on the accommodation to save cost and not reaching there to start to look when u need to. Hotelcombined is a good site to find and usually I go for free cancellation so I can cancel it if there are changes in my itinerary.

yup, plan to collect car in CC and drop off at queenstown airport. will u buy car insurance excess with the rental company or buy elsewhere? For example, Apex's excess is $2,000, and if I buy travel insurance in singapore, that will cover car rental excess too (eg. Direct Asia covers $1500)
is parking exp there in Christchurch city? thinking of collecting car, then drive to Christchurch city and stay 1-2 nights before going off.

Are the glaciers worth a trip? looking at the map, it seems a lot of backtracking back to Lake Tekapo area

Last edited:

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup, plan to collect car in CC and drop off at queenstown airport. will u buy car insurance excess with the rental company or buy elsewhere? For example, Apex's excess is $2,000, and if I buy travel insurance in singapore, that will cover car rental excess too (eg. Direct Asia covers $1500)
is parking exp there in Christchurch city? thinking of collecting car, then drive to Christchurch city and stay 1-2 nights before going off.

Are the glaciers worth a trip? looking at the map, it seems a lot of backtracking back to Lake Tekapo area

When is your travelling date. I went there in early May this year and I managed to get the apex car rental deal at $39 a day for toyota collora hatchback with full excess covered. However on the day itself. Apex car rental "upgraded" with sedan version for me. Although I still much prefer hatchback.

I didn't pay for any parking fee at CC as I managed to park at the shopping mall which provided free parking from 2 to 4 hours. Not sure why u r thinking of spending more than 1 day in CC there.

I never visit the glaciers in NZ coz the I find the cost of helihike is not cheap. Somemore I have seen the glaciers in Iceland for free and much easily accessible . To walk on the glaciers, we need to have guides. Unless u really want to walk on it. U should do what u like and decide yourself. Worth it if u like it.

Like someone mentioned. Queenstown Fergburger is really nice.

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When is your travelling date. I went there in early May this year and I managed to get the apex car rental deal at $39 a day for toyota collora hatchback with full excess covered. However on the day itself. Apex car rental "upgraded" with sedan version for me. Although I still much prefer hatchback.

I didn't pay for any parking fee at CC as I managed to park at the shopping mall which provided free parking from 2 to 4 hours. Not sure why u r thinking of spending more than 1 day in CC there.

I never visit the glaciers in NZ coz the I find the cost of helihike is not cheap. Somemore I have seen the glaciers in Iceland for free and much easily accessible . To walk on the glaciers, we need to have guides. Unless u really want to walk on it. U should do what u like and decide yourself. Worth it if u like it.

Like someone mentioned. Queenstown Fergburger is really nice.

Renting over xmas period
it's abut $74 for 8 days for a nissan tiida/ latio :vijayadmin:
collect car on day 1 and park overnight (~$15), day 2/3 then go outskirts? or better to go back airport collect car on day 2? collect car pay rent + park whole day to explore CC a bit waste money. I plan to stay 2 nights in CC

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Renting over xmas period
it's abut $74 for 8 days for a nissan tiida/ latio :vijayadmin:
collect car on day 1 and park overnight (~$15), day 2/3 then go outskirts? or better to go back airport collect car on day 2? collect car pay rent + park whole day to explore CC a bit waste money. I plan to stay 2 nights in CC

U just plan whatever u feel is convenient for u. $74 per day rental is expensive but that is pretty normal during the festival season and it is almost summer there.

If u intend to visit both Lake Tekapo and Mount cook. Both accommodation are not cheap and u can based in twizel which is middle of both. Accommodation is slightly cheaper there. Then the remaining days spend on wanaka and Queenstown.

Charissa26

Reaction score

TIA!

Should collect from airport and stay 1 night at CC due to the long flight.
CC (1 night)
Lake Tekapo (1 night)
Mt Cook (2 nights)
Wanaka (1 night)
Queenstown (2 nights)
Can try Go rental. reputable in NZ South Island.
Mt Cook accommodation are limited but those facing the snowy mountains are a view to pay for.

feigningfancy

Master Member
Reaction score
Need to see where's the preferred place to +1 night. Queenstown imo no need 2 nights tho. There are better places to visit from Wanaka plus u go Roys peak the leg too jelly to drive Liao lol

Should collect from airport and stay 1 night at CC due to the long flight.
CC (1 night)
Lake Tekapo (1 night)
Mt Cook (2 nights)
Wanaka (1 night)
Queenstown (2 nights)
Can try Go rental. reputable in NZ South Island.
Mt Cook accommodation are limited but those facing the snowy mountains are a view to pay for.

achtung7

Reaction score
For the past few days there's been rain, sometimes heavy mainly in the west coast. Resulting in lake Wanaka reaching high levels and lakefront shops are mainly closed with flood protection in place. Now... There are like 100 Wanaka trees..

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9 SE using GAGT

lurker88

Reaction score
What happened? I only know the eruption at white island. Would it affect FG and FJG?

Sent from LGE LM-V405 using GAGT

sbv7230

Reaction score
Due to flooding, many roads Kanna cut off..
Heard all already rescued and at the CC airport now waiting for their flights back home..******************
I’m in South Island now... Dunedin here..******************************************************
Pai sei , still got many people trapped there..
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/12/more-than-900-tourists-trapped-on-west-coast-after-slips-close-sh6.html

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.