[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the wrong info, it’s DS916+ with 2 * 6TB & 2 * 8TB.
All HGST drives.

I started with 2* 6TB and added 2* 8TB like 2 years ago.
Now inside the NAS only #2 & #3 detected as in use (blue colorinstead of all 4.
#1 showing unused drive (green color box)
#4 showing crashed (Red color box)

Volume degraded
Pool storage degraded

existential_reality

Reaction score
If you copy out the data into a drive I believe you still need to have 2 empty 10 TB to setup a Raid 0 volume. The system will wipe both drives when it setups the Raid 0 volume.

I had a USB Raid enclosure last time under Stardom brand, I recall that enclosure allowed me to copy contents of a existing drive into the secondary one when the volume was setup. But this will increase cost.

To simplify if your others drives are fine (check SMART) maybe just replace the broken drive and rebuild the volume? Or you can copy the data into the unused 6TB drive and use the remaining two drives working to create a Raid 0 and copy the contents back into it?

2 x 10TB raid I will need an enclosure right if I’m using laptop.
Am I able to transfer data out into 1 10TB and buy another 10TB as a raid setup at a later time due to budget. Will it arrest my data when I doing raid at a later stage?

Currently trying to keep my budget low as past 2 months having high expenses on medical bills..

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, the NAS can work without Internet access and just be your file server. You can mount the shared folder as a network drive on the laptops for the 3 laptop users to share files between. You can allocate individual folders to them too, for files not to be shared with the other 2.

But for future DSM & package updates, you'll have to download to the laptops elsewhere first then update the NAS that way.

Thanks for the information.

On a separate note, I read that Synology NAS can act as a DHCP server and in this case, can I just create a network with a Switch connecting the 3 laptops and the NAS?

voux00

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

On a separate note, I read that Synology NAS can act as a DHCP server and in this case, can I just create a network with a Switch connecting the 3 laptops and the NAS?

Sorry, haven't tried it before. But I guess theoretically, yes you can.

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on the HDD configuration you are going for. I compared 6tb x3 with the NAS still cheaper than stacking coupon and CC rebates from lazada paying cash.

plan to change my ds213 to 918+

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Friend of my recommended amazon cloud, caveat here was the cost of the cloud increase exponentially post the grace period (kind of duh I gue

If your only storing say 6 - 10 TB of data maybe it be more cost efficient to have 2 x 10TB and do a Raid 0?

Backblaze is a cheaper alternative and its not the B2 storage but normal backup service.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last night I click the repair button and this morning there’s beep alert again.
I login and see my data is back, with
Disk 1(6TB) not in use
Disk 2 (10TB)
Disk 3 (10TB)
Disk 4 (1TB) Crashed

A new HDD of 10TB or greater is required...

Now I digging my ex HDD to copy out whatever I can before getting new HDD later.

I’m not familiar with it, should I just copy out everything or insert and replace the crash HDD for it to run again. I’m worried kena blue flashing again...

And any recommendations for cloud storage?
I got approx 4-6TB of photos

1. recomemnd to back up.
2. you can always click a s3 or azure storage to use for 1mth.. set it up, transfer everything into it... (free 1st mth)... do whatever u need to do with your NAS, transfer it back - delete the account

Edit: try Azure (guarantee will work because of the USD200 credit) unlike the stingy AWS.

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 x 10TB raid I will need an enclosure right if I’m using laptop.
Am I able to transfer data out into 1 10TB and buy another 10TB as a raid setup at a later time due to budget. Will it arrest my data when I doing raid at a later stage?

Currently trying to keep my budget low as past 2 months having high expenses on medical bills..

yes u could.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. recomemnd to back up.
2. you can always click a s3 or azure storage to use for 1mth.. set it up, transfer everything into it... (free 1st mth)... do whatever u need to do with your NAS, transfer it back - delete the account

AWS S3 is not free one month. There is AWS free web tier which includes S3 but there is a limit. Transfer out of AWS will have fee once it exceed the free web tier limit. Read up the AWS free web tier to be certain of the cost. Use the AWS calculator for clarity :)

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AWS S3 is not free one month. There is AWS free web tier which includes S3 but there is a limit. Transfer out of AWS will have fee once it exceed the free web tier limit. Read up the AWS free web tier to be certain of the cost. Use the AWS calculator for clarity :)

in that case, skip S3. Use Azure then. the $200 should be more than enough.

I used Azure previously, so i guarantee it will work.

Thanks for highlighting btw.

Last edited:

alvino

Reaction score
same for me, u need to see any app that stopped it from hibernate. For me, is Plex.
The "synology application service" thats stopping NAS hibernation is fixed now. in case you have it turned off like i did just to make sure the hibernation works, you can turn it on now! cheers

delson_tan

Master Member
Reaction score
Wanna check what's the best way to migrate my HDDs from DS416play to a new Synology NAS? I thought it is as simple as moving the physical HDDs but it's only for higher end models.

From what I read, I need a new NAS with capacity higher than my current? Means I have buy additional HDDs just to make the migration?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wanna check what's the best way to migrate my HDDs from DS416play to a new Synology NAS? I thought it is as simple as moving the physical HDDs but it's only for higher end models.

From what I read, I need a new NAS with capacity higher than my current? Means I have buy additional HDDs just to make the migration?
You need a 4-bay Synology NAS.
Either you swap over the 4 HDD in same sequence or buy new HDD. In the latter, copy data from old NAS to new NAS via ethernet.

I used the latter case to migrate from DS414 to DS418 with new HDD.

delson_tan

Master Member
Reaction score
You need a 4-bay Synology NAS.
Either you swap over the 4 HDD in same sequence or buy new HDD. In the latter, copy data from old NAS to new NAS via ethernet.

I used the latter case to migrate from DS414 to DS418 with new HDD.

Thanks. I have checked, for model numbers with + can direct migrate. Play models gotta use the second method you suggested.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have checked, for model numbers with + can direct migrate. Play models gotta use the second method you suggested.
Never know this before, only know need same number or more bay to migrate HDD over.

voux00

Reaction score

No harm submitting a support ticket and asking if your new NAS model is supported for migration from 416play... Sometimes, Syno doesn't update their website as diligently as they should, even if things have changed.

Eg, many still advise that you need the disks to be in the same bay sequence, but most of the time, you can still migrate successfully when they're not.

Actually I wonder why 416play doesn't support direct migration? :(

voux00

Reaction score
The "synology application service" thats stopping NAS hibernation is fixed now. in case you have it turned off like i did just to make sure the hibernation works, you can turn it on now! cheers

Hmm, what's this package used for? Is it required for other packages such as Hyperbackup or Cloud/Drive?

I noticed this new "synology application service" recently too but wonder what it's for...

k3lvin78

Reaction score
Help for new NAS and TV setup

Hi guys,

looking to get a new synology setup and having abit of a headache even after reading online.

I had been using my samsung non-4k smart tv with my DS414 and it can handle playing videos from my NAS.

Now that I am getting a new Samsung Smart TV (UA65RU7400) that can handle 4K, I am not sure what is a suitable NAS to get.

I see alot about transcoding of 4k in models like DS918+ and DS1019+ but it sounds like it transcodes to media players etc and not to DLNA device (my TV in this case). Also, transcoding from 4K also brings it down to only 1080p?

How do I maximise the use of my 4k tv if I had movies in H265(HEVC) in my NAS?

Any experts can advise me? Sorry if I didn't portray my thoughts across appropriately. Trying my best as a layman. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.