Discussion on Canberra estate, in northern Singapore

Handsome_guy

Banned
Reaction score
I stay at Canberra. Quite boring now cos nth much and only bus 883. Luckily mrt will open soon and got more things coming.

Eraval

Master Member
Reaction score
I stay at Canberra. Quite boring now cos nth much and only bus 883. Luckily mrt will open soon and got more things coming.

You are the pioneer have to suffer abit but I see they developing the area well le, within 3-4 years should be bustling with activity liao :):s12::s12:

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Canberra MRT Station

Bus 883 and Northpoint at Yislum already packed like sardine can especially on weekends! You want to see Canberra packed like concentration camp? :vijayadmin:

By the way Canberra MRT Station facade is viewable from outside/inside and station signages are up. Should be open by late Nov 2019.

Given a choice would you rather have a LRT or MRT station just at your doorstep? Piggyback on the oldest and matured MRT line, Canberra residents huat liao! :s13:

The new Canberra BTO (Feb 2020) plot (beside Brownstone EC) is already in construction! If I am a unit owner of Brownstone EC sure bang balls. Pay premium price but proximity to MRT station is not even nearer than a HDB plot! :eek:

Last edited:

iceraider

Reaction score
Mrt slated to open 2 Nov la.. not end of nov..

When did u see an EC build jus beside or behind mrt??

Esparina at buangkok is only one ec closest to mrt before Brownstone was built. N now Brownstone is even nearer with Canberra mrt opening as compared to Esparina

Given they paid premium (800plus).. e price has went up over this few years and the current EC prices all has gone over $1K psf.. jus look at e plot opp them by Hoi Hup which need to sell 950-1k psf to earn.. with all e upcoming amenties (Canberra plaza, Bukit Canberra, etc), i think the owners r laughing rather banging balls.

Bus 883 and Northpoint at Yislum already packed like sardine can especially on weekends! You want to see Canberra packed like concentration camp? :vijayadmin:

By the way Canberra MRT Station facade is viewable from outside/inside and station signages are up. Should be open by late Nov 2019.

Given a choice would you rather have a LRT or MRT station just at your doorstep? Piggyback on the oldest and matured MRT line, Canberra residents huat liao! :s13:

The new Canberra BTO (Feb 2020) plot (beside Brownstone EC) is already in construction! If I am a unit owner of Brownstone EC sure bang balls. Pay premium price but proximity to MRT station is not even nearer than a HDB plot! :eek:

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mrt slated to open 2 Nov la.. not end of nov..

When did u see an EC build jus beside or behind mrt??

Esparina at buangkok is only one ec closest to mrt before Brownstone was built. N now Brownstone is even nearer with Canberra mrt opening as compared to Esparina

Given they paid premium (800plus).. e price has went up over this few years and the current EC prices all has gone over $1K psf.. jus look at e plot opp them by Hoi Hup which need to sell 950-1k psf to earn.. with all e upcoming amenties (Canberra plaza, Bukit Canberra, etc), i think the owners r laughing rather banging balls.

Sore Brownstone EC owner spotted! :s13:

Lss

Honorary Member
Reaction score
15 years ago sengkang was the same. I cycle past there at 10pm each block only a few units with light. Jin quiet too.

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Canberra mrt opening next week, Yishun residents should take note.

tuanehji

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
5 Reasons why Canberra is not the next Seng Kang.

1. Canberra is actually a small plot of neighbourhood compared to the Seng Kang neighbourhood. If you see the map of Canberra vs Seng Kang or even Punggol, you will notice Canberra is not that big.

2. Canberra MRT station is just 1 of MANY stations on an old train line, NSL. In contrast, Seng Kang MRT station is the 2nd last stop with Punggol being the terminus. Also Seng Kang MRT station is fully AIRCON while Canberra is open air. Can you imagine peak hour rush have to wait for trains with NO AIRCON.

3. Sengkang has connection to major expressway via TPE. Canberra is actually stuck in between Sembawang and Yishun so those driving still have to go pass Yishun Avenue 8 (newly opened extension) > Yishun Avenue 1 > Seletar before they reach TPE/CTE or via Sembawang > Woodlands Avenue 12 > SLE if they are going west wards.

4. Sengkang neighbourhood is surrounded by Yio chu kang industrial estate, Hougang, and the future paya lebar estate after paya lebar airbase relocation. It has great connectivity to the best food in the East. Meanwhile if you see the "front" and "back" of Canberra.. towards the south-west (front) side, you get the Sembawang Airbase. Towards the north-east (back) side, you get Simpang Training Area. How is this good?

5. Nearest existing shopping mall is Yishun Northpoint City, Sembawang Sun Plaza and a smaller Sembawang Shopping Centre mall. No good food exist nearby Canberra, unless later on those famous vendors move to the north which is highly unlikely. Meanwhile Seng kang is less than 10 minutes drive to Boon Keng which has a high concentration of good food. In addition, Seng Kang has its own Compass one mall (newly renovated), Rivervale Mall, Rivervale Plaza, Waterway Plaza, Waterway Point, countless others weekend activities like prawning and relatively closer access to Coney Island. In future, it's host to the Punggol Digital District.

So really, how to compare? :s13:

muddywaters

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I already said so many times...

If want to buy condo, then buy prime central region (e.g. Newton area)

If only got budget for condo in suburban then might as well buy HDB.

:s13:

codexboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
5 Reasons why Canberra is not the next Seng Kang.

1. Canberra is actually a small plot of neighbourhood compared to the Seng Kang neighbourhood. If you see the map of Canberra vs Seng Kang or even Punggol, you will notice Canberra is not that big.

2. Canberra MRT station is just 1 of MANY stations on an old train line, NSL. In contrast, Seng Kang MRT station is the 2nd last stop with Punggol being the terminus. Also Seng Kang MRT station is fully AIRCON while Canberra is open air. Can you imagine peak hour rush have to wait for trains with NO AIRCON.

3. Sengkang has connection to major expressway via TPE. Canberra is actually stuck in between Sembawang and Yishun so those driving still have to go pass Yishun Avenue 8 (newly opened extension) > Yishun Avenue 1 > Seletar before they reach TPE/CTE or via Sembawang > Woodlands Avenue 12 > SLE if they are going west wards.

4. Sengkang neighbourhood is surrounded by Yio chu kang industrial estate, Hougang, and the future paya lebar estate after paya lebar airbase relocation. It has great connectivity to the best food in the East. Meanwhile if you see the "front" and "back" of Canberra.. towards the south-west (front) side, you get the Sembawang Airbase. Towards the north-east (back) side, you get Simpang Training Area. How is this good?

5. Nearest existing shopping mall is Yishun Northpoint City, Sembawang Sun Plaza and a smaller Sembawang Shopping Centre mall. No good food exist nearby Canberra, unless later on those famous vendors move to the north which is highly unlikely. Meanwhile Seng kang is less than 10 minutes drive to Boon Keng which has a high concentration of good food. In addition, Seng Kang has its own Compass one mall (newly renovated), Rivervale Mall, Rivervale Plaza, Waterway Plaza, Waterway Point, countless others weekend activities like prawning and relatively closer access to Coney Island. In future, it's host to the Punggol Digital District.

So really, how to compare? :s13:
i stay sengkang, not bad la, but here drive to boon keng where got 10mins only, serangoon at best la

iwanfreedom

Reaction score
Where is Waterway plaza????
Or maybe Northshore Plaza I? Which TOP Q2 2020. Sengkang still have seletar mall, and the future integrated bus interchange in 2023 at buangkok mrt. The drawbacks living in punggol or Sengkang will be more CECAS and the industries from our neighboring country

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can tell you are trying too hard to justify Sengkang is a good place compared to Canberra.

1. Who care whether the neighbourhood is big? It's just a name/grouping.

2. Canberra mrt station bring you to orchard or jurong east in 30mins, NSL bring you to more places.

3. Have you drove before? Some area of Sengkang reach TPE take longer than canberra reach CTE, yishun ave 8 is a big and wide road with limited traffic lights so its fast. TPE still need to connect to CTE, how does it seem good? Canberra can drive to almost anywhere in singapore within 30mins, Sengkang is stuck in a inaccessible corner that depend on TPE that bring you nowhere.

4. Near industrial area is a selling point? Beside canberra is yishun industrial area if you like. Near hougang is another selling point? Canberra is near sembawang/yishun so there you got it. You are making it sound like empty spaces is not a good thing but empty spaces are at a premium in singapore.

5. You mentioned all the crappy malls for what? Sengkang is bigger and have more useless malls, period. Only waterway point is decent enough and it is not in Sengkang. Compass One is so so. Canberra residents go northpoint which is on par with sengkang residents go waterway point. No advantage either way.

muddywaters

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally I would choose Canberra over Sengkang anytime . In fact, it's a no brainer.

In fact I don't even think Sengkang compares favourably to Punggol.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SK is just a place to live. No different to Jurong or Bukit Batok.

PG has tried to add a lifestyle to it.

iceraider

Reaction score
Im more sore that i cant buy EC during my times cos of limitation if not i would have flipped given e mkt now..

Dun be jealous abt those owners paying premium yet still gain when they sell their unit after mop ya:s13:

Sore Brownstone EC owner spotted! :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.