NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Happiness1234

Reaction score
Hi those who are doing your contract teaching right now, have you gotten the email from nie/moe for the pdge @ nie? My mentor at sch told me they have passed me but I still haven't recieved any emails and school is ending next week already.

Hey there, same here. no email yet

Max_power

Reaction score
Hello, just got in touch with them. The letters for the Dec batch to begin contract teaching are still not sent out yet. The latest we should receive them, if successful, will be in early/mid Nov. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

esorne

Reaction score
Hello. For those who have done / are doing your untrained contract stint, may I know if you’re given the full teaching load, same as other teachers in the school? Will you be given a form class and co curricular responsibilities as well? Thanks.

rosemance

Reaction score
Hi! I received the email to check for my EPT availability this afternoon! However, I replied that the EPT I sat for last year has a validity till Dec 2020 so hopefully I need not repeat the EPT!

The EPT is certainly not easy. I believe someone shared the link previously with regards to the "sample" format. Other than the situational writing(proposal), the oral examination can be quite challenging, depending on who your examiner is.

Hello August Batch, has anyone received any calls or emails for updates after their interviews?

badchoices

Reaction score
Hi! I received the email to check for my EPT availability this afternoon! However, I replied that the EPT I sat for last year has a validity till Dec 2020 so hopefully I need not repeat the EPT!

The EPT is certainly not easy. I believe someone shared the link previously with regards to the "sample" format. Other than the situational writing(proposal), the oral examination can be quite challenging, depending on who your examiner is.

Hi rosemance! Hope you don’t mind if I probe. You took your ept last year, passed it, but was still rejected eventually?

FabulousFarmer

Reaction score

Oh no, am now worried for EPT if I have to take it. In what way was it challenging though?

rosemance

Reaction score
Hi @badchoices,
I took the EPT last year, passed and gotten an offer from MOE. However, due to timing, I had to turn down the offer and was told that should I pass the offer, I'll have to apply again in future in competition with other applications... So I am glad that they did not "blacklist" people who turned down their offer previously!

Hi rosemance! Hope you don’t mind if I probe. You took your ept last year, passed it, but was still rejected eventually?

Cloudy123

Reaction score
Hi @badchoices,
I took the EPT last year, passed and gotten an offer from MOE. However, due to timing, I had to turn down the offer and was told that should I pass the offer, I'll have to apply again in future in competition with other applications... So I am glad that they did not "blacklist" people who turned down their offer previously!

Hi rosemance, can I check when did you went for interview? And which level and subject were you shortlisted for? Thanks!!

Midlifecrisis83

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been following this track as I’m considering a teaching career. I’m a mid-career, left work to stay home with kids for the past 3 yrs and am looking to go back to work next year.

I have some questions which I hope those of you who had started the untrained teaching stint can enlighten me on:
1. How’s the school hours like? I understand there will be a lot of paperwork and OT, but in general, we can definitely leave the school by 5pm? This is because I have to fetch my kids home from school and being able to leave by 5pm will be great. I don’t mind bringing work home to complete in the evening.

2. For those of you who are mid career (sorry I can’t send pm yet), will you mind sharing with me what’s the pay cut you experienced? I have about 10yrs of working experience in public service previously. I understand there will be a big pay cut; just want to get a sensing how bad it is going to be 😅

Thanks in advance!

octorabbit

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been following this track as I’m considering a teaching career. I’m a mid-career, left work to stay home with kids for the past 3 yrs and am looking to go back to work next year.

I have some questions which I hope those of you who had started the untrained teaching stint can enlighten me on:
1. How’s the school hours like? I understand there will be a lot of paperwork and OT, but in general, we can definitely leave the school by 5pm? This is because I have to fetch my kids home from school and being able to leave by 5pm will be great. I don’t mind bringing work home to complete in the evening.

2. For those of you who are mid career (sorry I can’t send pm yet), will you mind sharing with me what’s the pay cut you experienced? I have about 10yrs of working experience in public service previously. I understand there will be a big pay cut; just want to get a sensing how bad it is going to be 😅

Thanks in advance!

Hi I'm currently doing my contract teaching stint. Was previously in consulting for 2 years before I made a switch so won't really consider myself 'mid-career'.

1. Depends on the school. I need to be in school by 715, and can only leave at 2pm. Some days you have meetings so this will end around 330 or 4 and can be twice a week. Cca depends if you get scheduled. Usually once a week and ends around 6 depending on which CCA (not often you get to choose). This leaves you with 2 days where you can end early - largely depends on yourself what time you want to leave.

2. There is a salary scale for newly appointed officers. Your salary will be in that range and you can't nego. They'll try to match it as you progress but don't expect it to take 3 years to match your 10 year experience in previous job since it may not be related. You won't be eating grass on the salary either. You'll be fine so don't worry about the pay cut.

Midlifecrisis83

Reaction score
Hi I'm currently doing my contract teaching stint. Was previously in consulting for 2 years before I made a switch so won't really consider myself 'mid-career'.

1. Depends on the school. I need to be in school by 715, and can only leave at 2pm. Some days you have meetings so this will end around 330 or 4 and can be twice a week. Cca depends if you get scheduled. Usually once a week and ends around 6 depending on which CCA (not often you get to choose). This leaves you with 2 days where you can end early - largely depends on yourself what time you want to leave.

2. There is a salary scale for newly appointed officers. Your salary will be in that range and you can't nego. They'll try to match it as you progress but don't expect it to take 3 years to match your 10 year experience in previous job since it may not be related. You won't be eating grass on the salary either. You'll be fine so don't worry about the pay cut.

Thanks for sharing, Octorabbit! Being able to leave by 5pm is good enough for me! I don’t mind staying late once/twice a week for CCA. I understand it will take a long time to catch up to my previous salary, but I’m at a different stage in life now so that’s ok. Good to know I won’t have to eat grass though 😂.

Guess I will put in my application in the jan/Feb window 🤞🏻

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.