How would you invest 300k in 2019?

happywander

Reaction score
Hypothetical scenario, if you have 300k cash on hand, where you put your money today? Assuming you don't have the crystal ball to time market.

The fund is not big enough for retirement but also quite sizable that it would take many years to invest assuming buying 3,000 worth of index fund monthly (100 months!)

Genosis

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Follow ShinyThings' suggestion.....

100k into S&P500 etf, 100k into STI etf and 100k into bonds..... go down to your favourite pub, order your favourite drink and chill...:o

3 decades later, enjoy your retirement nest egg like a king! :s12:

appl888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$5,500 in 2000 shares of FCT
$4,800 in 3000 shares of FCOT
$5,080 in 4000 shares of FLT
$5,110 in 7000 shares of FHT

the rest $279,510 in a monthly rolling FD and wait for durians to drop before buying:s13::s13::s13:

articland05

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll hold the cash and wait for the next bear run to gobble up gd counters

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score

100k into S&P500 etf, 100k into STI etf and 100k into bonds..... go down to your favourite pub, order your favourite drink and chill...:o

3 decades later, enjoy your retirement nest egg like a king! :s12:

I would do 3 fund portfolio too. But not s&p 500 but a global etf like vwra

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No, not quite. The S&P 500 leg would go into a global stock index fund, as another commenter pointed out. Then that would be ST’s suggestion with some important assumptions:

1. These funds will be allocated to long-term saving and investing.

2. This individual is a ~43 year old who is planning to retire in Singapore with the legal right to do so.

3. This individual already has his/her long-term savings invested in the same ways. (If not, the $300K windfall would be used to help shift the portfolio mix.)

4. This individual already has an adequate emergency reserve fund, has fully paid off high cost debt (such as credit card debt), and has genuine insurance necessities in place.

5. Plus a few other assumptions, such as standard or near standard retirement and longevity expectations.

For what it’s worth, I don’t like the “110 minus age” formula since it’s unnecessary complexity in my view. Just hold an 80-20 ratio (stocks-bonds) until 7 to 10 years before retirement, then shift. Also, I’m not a fan of that heavy an allocation to STI stocks.

If this question is about speculation — where I might make an exceptional bet, outside of normal long-term investment practices — then (if available) CPF with a 4+% yield (MA/SA/RA) looks rather attractive to me at the moment.

Thoreldan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for me:
100k - SSB (lump)
180k - IWDA (invest 30k x 6months)
20k - ES3 or G3B (4k x 5months)

:s12:

Last edited:

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical scenario, if you have 300k cash on hand, where you put your money today? Assuming you don't have the crystal ball to time market.

The fund is not big enough for retirement but also quite sizable that it would take many years to invest assuming buying 3,000 worth of index fund monthly (100 months!)

care to share how old you are, no need exact age, 20s, 30s, 40s...? this is for the purpose of compiling my index of threads. 300k in 20s, 30s, maybe different advice from someone in 40, 50+ age range?

NewInvestor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which do you recommend?
Actually now prices are too high already
I think

Look at any Ascendas, Capitaland or Mapletree REIT which is having a placement or preferential offer. Try to get in as close to the placement price as possible.

At the present moment, I think MCT and MLT have placement/PO exercises going on. More REITs in the Ascendas, Capland and Mapletree stable may have such exercises in the future. Can also wait for those.

I usually add more to my REITs position whenever there are such exercises.

Last edited:

happywander

Reaction score
Sipping favorite drink at favorite pub sure is appealing!

I'm in my 30s.

Stock market too expensive to enter now?

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There was an article in the Invest section of Sunday Time(page B24) title How to retire before 40 by Chong Kong Ping. The key point that was "missing" or hidden is how to amass capital. If there no capital, how to invest and retire early? If there is no income, how to save! :o

@ts, You have a head start of $300K. Need to save $3K per month for >8yrs in order to accumulate $300K. That is NO easy feat. Go read that article and it may give some ideas.:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.