Pump petrol in Australia

athletic91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very interesting , the petrol stations within a 5 min drive has a range of price for the same petrol. Eg comparing shell 91 and shell 91
Can ranged from 130cents to 155 cents a little. Surprisingly both also got about equal customer. Wonder which Australians will so stupid go for the expensive one.

Pro tip , download the app PetrolSpy Australia

athletic91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Use coles discount

Yes if spend certain amount the receipt allows u to save 4cent. But it still may of be the the cheapest option

My most recent trip the last day then I downloaded the petrolspy app after a local told Me about it. Pump at VIBE for about 130cents only. Way cheaper than coles shell. 144-4c

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Some companies may have corporate contracts so drivers don't care how much it is - simply drive in and fill up at any price, at the company's expense.

Coles have 4 cents per litre off vouchers if you spend over $30 in its supermarket. Woolworths has a similar deal for their supermarket as well.

After that, Coles also gives you extra 10 cents off per litre if you spend $20 in store at the petrol station. Usually, most discounts can stack as well. Occasionally, Coles also have other discounts as well, but they may be more difficult to access for tourists. My record was 27 cents off per litre.

owenowenno

Reaction score
For Credit card payment at Petrol stations Nowadays in MElbourne, is it Paywave as in same as Sg ,we just tap at card reader ?
What about unmanned stations ,do we need to slot credit card into the Fixed terminal and Do we need to use any PIN?
Since we are using a credit card from SG,does it mean we must wait for incoming OTP via our SG roaming SIM card so we need our SG tel number to be activated roaming?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Credit card payment at Petrol stations Nowadays in MElbourne, is it Paywave as in same as Sg ,we just tap at card reader ?
What about unmanned stations ,do we need to slot credit card into the Fixed terminal and Do we need to use any PIN?
Since we are using a credit card from SG,does it mean we must wait for incoming OTP via our SG roaming SIM card so we need our SG tel number to be activated roaming?

Just tap, under $100 no need to sign/key in pin.

Those self paying kiosk, never try above $100 before.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very interesting , the petrol stations within a 5 min drive has a range of price for the same petrol. Eg comparing shell 91 and shell 91
Can ranged from 130cents to 155 cents a little. Surprisingly both also got about equal customer. Wonder which Australians will so stupid go for the expensive one.

Either most ppl don't care or can't be bothered.. some of them are not so street smart.

Yes the petrol spy app is like a god send.. but the onus is on the consumers to key in the correct amount.. so far i've been to multiple kiosk and introduced the app to the attendants there so they can update it real time

Awesom Andy

Reaction score

I haven't seen a petrol station that doesn't accept paywave. Not sure what you mean by unmanned stations, but pumps here here are all self-service. You pump fuel, then go pay in the shops. (Or in some locations at night, you pay first then pump).

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a petrol station that doesn't accept paywave. Not sure what you mean by unmanned stations, but pumps here here are all self-service. You pump fuel, then go pay in the shops. (Or in some locations at night, you pay first then pump).

There's a BP along St kilda where there is a self check out machine inside the station, key in your pump num and pay, i was blur AF when i went there the 1st time..

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
same day?

the prices are different on different days. Irrc, Monday is the day where its cheaper

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
same day?

the prices are different on different days. Irrc, Monday is the day where its cheaper

For Melb, there's no cheapest day.. just have to check regularly.. only in Perth I think the cheapest day is Tues.. the cycle is fixed

commie_rick

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

some people dont shop around because of time. cant be driving from petrol station to another to check out the prices. there are many people who couldnt be bothered as well. consumerism is a way of life here, people dont save that much

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.