My Melbourne Itinerary

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Yeah going to take it slow, sleep till enough and then head off. The only thing I want to do the next morning is to get to port campbell

Probably best to confirm on the checkout time of the hotel - some can be as early as 10am in Australia.

Just target your arrival at destination before 6 pm or earlier better. 'cause after 6pm it gets dark pretty fast.

7pm may be ok during daylight saving, although you may have difficulty finding dinner if it gets too late.

SDM1974

Reaction score
Hi. I will in Melbourne on 18 Oct morning staying near southern Cross station. Looking to exchange USD 4000 into Aussie dollars for a bit of fun at the crown. Anyone interested to exchange can pm me. We can use online xe rate. Thanks

boiboi123

Reaction score
Probably best to confirm on the checkout time of the hotel - some can be as early as 10am in Australia.

7pm may be ok during daylight saving, although you may have difficulty finding dinner if it gets too late.

Oh yes good point I should check on checkout time - preferably can stay as late as possible..

owenowenno

Reaction score
Not sure if u taking the scenic route. Means frm torquay to port campbell.

Frm airport to torquay is boring 1 hr drive.
But frm torquay to port campbell will perk u up. Many bends. Curves. Slow drive. Scenic n u wont feel tired driving one.

Torquay. Lorne. Appollo bay. Port campbell. Distance not much. I tink 150km to 180km nia. But scenic. Fun. U wont feel that tired lor even after your 8hr flight.

My 2c
I am going to rent car at Avalon airport and going GOR 1 overnite stay trip to stay at maybe ? port cambell.or Apollo bay
Any previous experience on the car rental companies at Avalon airport, ? Any website to get their promotion code or any current travel fair promotion for Avalon car rental?
I target to leave Avalon Airport at 2pm.Any food stops at the airport or around airport ?
Which place is better to stay overnite?Apollo bay or Port cambell for unique scenery and also easy supermarket access?
Hopefully i can take leisurely drive along the bends and reach Apollo by 6 pm or port cambell by 7pm

Last edited:

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am going to rent car at Avalon airport and going GOR 1 overnite stay trip to stay at maybe ? port cambell.or Apollo bay
Any previous experience on the car rental companies at Avalon airport, ? Any website to get their promotion code or any current travel fair promotion for Avalon car rental?
I target to leave Avalon Airport at 2pm.Any food stops at the airport or around airport ?
Which place is better to stay overnite?Apollo bay or Port cambell for unique scenery and also easy supermarket access?
Hopefully i can take leisurely drive along the bends and reach Apollo by 6 pm or port cambell by 7pm

Haven't had experience renting from Avalon, but the area is quite sparse and you should be able to find the rental co. easily.

If you leave avalon by 2, you should be able to get to Port campbell by 5pm latest.

Geelong is the best place to get your supermarket supplies and food stop. Apollo Bay, Lorne and Torquay has plenty of food as well.

Recommend to stay at Port Campbell instead, so next morning you can still get shots of the 12 Ap.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score

Avalon is a very small airport, and all rental companies consist of a counter and minimal workers. Just go with the cheapest one there.

The nearest proper foodstop would be in Geelong - there's simply nothing around Avalon.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Whoever wants to come melbourne, $650 on SQ in Mar next year..

LaiHam

Reaction score
Is there any supplements that are good priced in Australia? Also..nuts?
Yes, most supplements, cosmetics, perfumes are cheaper in AU. You can check through the pricing https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/ before you head down to Chemist Warehouse stores.

For supplements & medications, just make sure they don't have any controlled or illegal ingredients that you cannot bring back to SG.

spurman

Reaction score
Any good food stop along the way from port campbell back to melbourne via a1 route?

Leaving say port campbell at 10.30am. Target to reach melbourne at 2.30pm. 1hr lunch cum petrol top up

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good food stop along the way from port campbell back to melbourne via a1 route?

Leaving say port campbell at 10.30am. Target to reach melbourne at 2.30pm. 1hr lunch cum petrol top up

Colac i think you can stop there, decent town with food

owenowenno

Reaction score
Colac i think you can stop there, decent town with food

From Apollo Bay town ,Is there a Usable smooth direct road to the a1 highway or need to acesss the A1 highway from Port Campbell?

Besides Colac,any other interesting attractions along the inland A1 route to Melbourne?

If Using this inland route,And we wish to end up in Philip Island ,would driving land based via St Kilda route ,Mornington penisula be faster but also not using the Citylink toll OR it would be faster if use Queenscliff sea ferry to Sorento to Mornington penisula to PI?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you're already at Apollo bay, no reason to head towards Colac. Take the C119 and head back, it'll join up with the A1 at some point.

For PI, i think the around the bay route might be some what quicker, unless you intend to visit Mornington, then the ferry would be a better option

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
From Apollo Bay town ,Is there a Usable smooth direct road to the a1 highway or need to acesss the A1 highway from Port Campbell?

From Apollo Bay, the quickest route would be C119, although the first half of it is steep and winding as it heads up the mountains. The 2nd half is quite flat though. Many years back, on some of the back roads in that area, I could cruise at 160km/h (highly illegal) but the road conditions certainly doesn't allow for that these days if you value your life. You save roughly 10 - 15 mins on this route vs taking the GOR back via Lorne.

owenowenno

Reaction score
Whoever wants to come melbourne, $650 on SQ in Mar next year..

For Scoot flight TR Scoot 19
MEL to SIN Dec 12, 1:20 PM Thursday 2019

Would reaching the Tullamarine Airport Terminal 2 , 2 hours before , at 11.20 am, be enough safety margin for bag check in + security checks + out going Immigration for family of 4 and 1 large 20kg ,2 small 10 kg bags or
is the terminal very large and busy, chaotic and sudden last minute boarding gate changes can happen ,so better reach there 3 hours before departure at 10.20am ,
any horror stories or events to recall for Last day city traffic jams, rental car return or Tullamarine specific terminal problems? ?

Last edited:

Awesom Andy

Reaction score

Would reaching the Tullamarine Airport Terminal 2 , 2 hours before , at 11.20 am, be enough safety margin for bag check in + security checks + out going Immigration for family of 4 and 1 large 20kg ,2 small 10 kg bags or
is the terminal very large and busy, chaotic and sudden last minute boarding gate changes can happen ,so better reach there 3 hours before departure at 10.20am ,
any horror stories or events to recall for Last day city traffic jams, rental car return or Tullamarine specific terminal problems? ?

2 hours is generally fine, you should be able to check in, clear immigration, and get to the gate with plenty of time to spare. However, if you want GST refund, you'll want to be quiet a lot earlier - the queue can be up to an hour long.

The traffic to the airport can be very variable as well. The jam can range from 0 to 45 mins queuing to get into the airport.

Comage

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I came back from a recent trip from Melbourne back in Sep 2019 (last month).

Reached Tullamarine Airport 3 hours before (car rental took 30 mins to clear), so reached the counter about 2.5 hours in advance - there was some outgoing school trip on the same flight to Singapore - almost the size of 3 x football team of school kids stuck in the economy class queue to check-in :eek:

When I left the counter - the cohort of school kids were still there in the queue. Although they all made it up onto the flight in the end, I was quite sure they did not have much time left in the end so it should be a straight-from-counter-to-boarding-gate experience for them.

So, it really depends on your luck. I would strongly advise for 3 hours once the counter opens. They recently revamped the transit area, so there's a lot more appealing shops and restaurants inside before boarding.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 hours is generally fine, you should be able to check in, clear immigration, and get to the gate with plenty of time to spare. However, if you want GST refund, you'll want to be quiet a lot earlier - the queue can be up to an hour long.

The traffic to the airport can be very variable as well. The jam can range from 0 to 45 mins queuing to get into the airport.

Actually for GST refund, there's no need to Q up anymore, there's a counter straight after customs for you to fill up a form and the officer will check your items and off you go, they will debit it to your account within 6 weeks, but usually within 2 weeks you'll see the $

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.