[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

looking to get a new synology setup and having abit of a headache even after reading online.

I had been using my samsung non-4k smart tv with my DS414 and it can handle playing videos from my NAS.

Now that I am getting a new Samsung Smart TV (UA65RU7400) that can handle 4K, I am not sure what is a suitable NAS to get.

I see alot about transcoding of 4k in models like DS918+ and DS1019+ but it sounds like it transcodes to media players etc and not to DLNA device (my TV in this case). Also, transcoding from 4K also brings it down to only 1080p?

How do I maximise the use of my 4k tv if I had movies in H265(HEVC) in my NAS?

Any experts can advise me? Sorry if I didn't portray my thoughts across appropriately. Trying my best as a layman. Haha.

No idea. Only have 1 content on a Samsung Q8cn model with 918+.

Looks sharper and that's it. Works on both Plex and dsvideo.

Last edited:

Blacktoxic

Reaction score
I am using amazon glacier for off site backup. You cannot get cheaper than that for disaster recovery backups.

Blacktoxic

Reaction score
also, i need to get another drive in my nas as i'm running out of space. I initially used WD Red - both hard drives died after like a year and a half and I replaced them both with HGST.

However now HGST has been bought by WD (omg). What brand do you guys recommend now? I'm hesitant to go back to WD due to their 100% failure rate for me.

Blacktoxic

Reaction score
No idea. Only have 1 content on a Samsung Q8cn model with 918+.

Looks sharper and that's it. Works on both Plex and dsvideo.

my recommendation - get a cheaper NAS and let it focus on just storage. Use an old pc to run as a plex server (with premium for gpu hardware transcoding) that will play anything for you and have a chromecast or something on the tv that you can cast to using your plex app on the phone.

My current setup:
Storage - synology NAS
Plex server - nvidia shield
Plex player - nvidia shield.

Will offload the plex server to an old pc when i move to my new house.

007Mi6

Reaction score
If I already have a OneDrive 5TB subscription and wishes to have redundancy, should I get a NAS?

voux00

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone here used a PROLiNK PRO700SFCU UPS to work with Synology NAS? With the USB data port, can it notify the NAS to do a graceful shutdown if the power gets cut off?

On a related note, since there's only 1 USB data port (be it on Prolink or APC), is there any way to notify other devices (eg, PC and 2nd NAS) to shut down at the same time too if you have multiple devices?

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone here used a PROLiNK PRO700SFCU UPS to work with Synology NAS? With the USB data port, can it notify the NAS to do a graceful shutdown if the power gets cut off?

On a related note, since there's only 1 USB data port (be it on Prolink or APC), is there any way to notify other devices (eg, PC and 2nd NAS) to shut down at the same time too if you have multiple devices?

https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility?search_by=category&category=upses&p=1

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw the list and understand Prolink isn't in the list. Thus, wondering if others have tried & had any luck with it :)

Btw, would you have any advice on how to notify other NAS/PCs to shutdown from the NAS that's connected to the UPS data port?

Here majority use APC UPS.

You need to go to Reddit to ask.

Sim Kai Long

Reaction score
Hey guys, would a NAS be a good solution if I wanted an alternative to cloud storage?
Main reason for this consideration is for privacy and security as the stored data will include confidential data.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw the list and understand Prolink isn't in the list. Thus, wondering if others have tried & had any luck with it :)

Btw, would you have any advice on how to notify other NAS/PCs to shutdown from the NAS that's connected to the UPS data port?

Synology is using Linux NUT. https://networkupstools.org/

If the compatibility list there doesn’t show, then there is a good chance it is not supported even at the implementation level. However you can always be the first one to test it out :)

This is what you to know too
https://asperti.com/en/synology-ups-and-other-machines

balston_pig

Reaction score
Is DS218J suitable for the below usage.

1) FTP saving for CCTV video storage
2) FTP access for download and upload
2) Remote access to NAS for downloading without connecting to same network
3) Mirror backup from Google drive

TIA

voux00

Reaction score
Synology is using Linux NUT. https://networkupstools.org/

If the compatibility list there doesn’t show, then there is a good chance it is not supported even at the implementation level. However you can always be the first one to test it out :)

This is what you to know too
https://asperti.com/en/synology-ups-and-other-machines

Great, exactly what I needed. Thx David!

Yeah it seems Prolink isn't supported. Btw, I'm surprised APC UPS prices have been going up instead of down over the years... Currently have a APC BK650-AS bought 5-6 years ago, and looking at the SLS price list now - this item has become more expensive instead of cheaper, LOLOL... Quite weird leh...

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm rebuilding my ZDS916+ that crashed earlier.
Initially I'm using SHR on the 1st 3 HDD (6TB / 6TB / 8TB)
I had received my 8TB RMA and now changing the SHR to SHR-2.

I had realize the 4th HDD appearing and disappearing on and off from the Storage manager page.
The main page showing Used drives 3 and Available slot 1.(Last slot is the new RMA HDD)
On the HDD/SSD log, the 4th drive had plugged in & out 8 times although I did not touch changing the SHR since 8/11/2019.
Changing (checking parity consistency %) still running as now.

Is this normal for changing the SHR to SHR 2 or my 4th bay is failing.
the 4th Bay had issue months ago as HDD degraded issue also.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm rebuilding my ZDS916+ that crashed earlier.
Initially I'm using SHR on the 1st 3 HDD (6TB / 6TB / 8TB)
I had received my 8TB RMA and now changing the SHR to SHR-2.

I had realize the 4th HDD appearing and disappearing on and off from the Storage manager page.
The main page showing Used drives 3 and Available slot 1.(Last slot is the new RMA HDD)
On the HDD/SSD log, the 4th drive had plugged in & out 8 times although I did not touch changing the SHR since 8/11/2019.
Changing (checking parity consistency %) still running as now.

Is this normal for changing the SHR to SHR 2 or my 4th bay is failing.
the 4th Bay had issue months ago as HDD degraded issue also.

1. not normal
2. maybe you should service your NAS instead.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. not normal
2. maybe you should service your NAS instead.

Thanks for the reply.
Should be out of warranty....IIRC bought with my HDD in July 2016 :(

And right now I got to wait for the (checking parity consistency %) to finish although not detecting right...

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Should be out of warranty....IIRC bought with my HDD in July 2016 :(

And right now I got to wait for the (checking parity consistency %) to finish although not detecting right...

916+ should have 3 year warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.