FreeNAS Storage Projects

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
[NAS] TrueNAS Core DIY Enterprise Class Storage Solution

Have been using FreeNAS for the past 12 years and never looked back. Why? My reason as below:

1) Recycle and repurpose your old hardware
2) ZFS is a business class storage system with reliability, and kept my data safe since day 1.
3) Can use it to host your personal cloud system such as Owncloud or Nextcloud
4) RAIDZ is better than conventional RAID. You do not need any RAID hardware card to run, just let FreeNAS OS manage your zpools. During any hardware failure, just replace the parts like a normal computer.
5) OS is free of charge
6) Has all the function compared to OTS NAS, and more. Yet, you really pay for what you get!
7) You get to choose the hardware specs and tune the NAS to your liking
8) Mature NAS OS system with regular updates and patch
9) Nice interface and dashboard
10) Much easier to use than you think
11) The excitement and accomplishment when building your own NAS!

In this thread, i will be sharing a simplified guide to building a FreeNAS box. Why I want to do that?. Reason is because I find the OTS NAS charging premiums for mediocre performance and low reliability when it comes to recovering from a data disaster. And for some which i have advocate the shift to FreeNAS to build their own NAS, none looked back. Reason why some goes down the OTS NAS route is because they thought there iis no other options or just by setting up a FreeNAS could be troublesome, but actually, it is the same as building your own PC. The OS has matured and made simple for amateur users.

I will use this thread to share one simple instance which i used to create my own FreeNAS build at home. I am running FreeNAS 11.2, with an APC Back-UPS, nextcloud and using as a home file server and data library.

*DISCLAIMER: I will keep this as simple as possible since I am no experts. Just sharing my 2 cents. I myself is a user and has no affiliation with FreeNAS.

I am using the FreeNAS 11.2-U6 stable build. This is a purpose build DIY NAS to replace a home file server which has been running for the past 8 years.

The hardware list (all hardware easily gotten from Amazon and SLS):
1) 8x 4TB WD Red NAS drives
2) Pentium Gold G5400, at dual-core at 3.7GHz
3) ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac with dual intel GbE
4) Kingston DDR4 Value RAM 2x 16GB
5) Corsair SFX 450W PSU
6) APC Back-UPS CS series at 650VA
7) IO crest 4 Port SATA3 PCIe card
8) Silverstone DS380 NAS casing
9) Sandisk Cruzer Fit 64GB with FreeNAS 11.2-U6 installed

Build Purpose
1) store and back up all my precious files, lossless music and family photos
2) run my personal “Nextcloud” to sync my work desktop automatically
3) file server to my media boxes
4) Plex server-optional
5) able to run 24/7 with minimal troubleshooting and link to an UPS. Able to shut down safely on its own during power trip, lightning strike or deliberate or accidental power outage
6) redundancy to withstand hardware failure and file corruption
7) data roll back using snapshots

1nMVw5T.jpg

CcgQUbP.jpg

eSyVsdL.jpg

OT2dzAN.jpg

Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Step by Step guide:

Step 1: Hardware Selection and Start Building your DIY NAS
Get all the hardware you need and put them together just like a regular PC. Below are my recommendations for hardware selection (for reference only). This is an important step since it also manage your risk of data loss in the future. Redundancy is key in every small or big data centre.

Hardware recommendation as below:
A) Get a mobo with "Intel" GbE which has better compatibility and lesser issues. Marvell chipset is fine too but I do have issue with some of them during some of my build. Do check the compatibility list.
B) Get a cheap UPS. Even though SG has very rare power outage. I do get oven trips when my wife cook once in a blue moon. Take note that you will need to get a UPS with power management over usb, using the common UPS management code which could communicate to the NAS to shut down during low batt or switch to batt scenarios.
C) If possible, get a motherboard with 2x GbE. Just in case one fails along the way.
D) Get a PCI-e SATA card with >4 ports. Just in case your SATA port dies on the 5-8 years
E) Get a low powered CPU or those with ultra low voltage design. Dual-core will be sufficient unless you running a Plex server.
F) You can get ECC to increase the reliability of the NAS unit, but then the mobo will cost more. If not, Non-ECC will do just fine. I have been using non-ECC without much problem.
G) If you are getting numerous HDD, try to get different batches with the same capacity. For my case, I got 4 HDD from a single batch, another 4 HDD from another batch.
H) When building new systems, I recommend getting a m-itx board. You can also consider those NAS build mobo with intel atom/celeron CPU build in which you can still find on Amazon or taobao.
I) Recommend using multiple 12cm Noctua fans to cool the HDD. The NAS will be very quiet and cool.

DIY NAS building:
Not going to teach the veterans here how to build a PC from scratch. Key things to note is that the build going to be tight and small.

Step 2: Installing the FreeNAS OS and Booting into it
A) Prepare the separate USB drive/SATA drive/M2 drive to install the FreeNAS OS. One to contain the FreeNAS iso burn into it, another for installing the working FreeNAS OS. You can also choose to use a DVD to burn the FreeNAS iso image file.

NOTE: You should have 2 drives, one for containing the FreeNAS install file, one for installing the FreeNAS OS. I recommend the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 64GB which will have come really cheap nowadays. Do use the "stable" build, not the "beta" builds.

FreeNAS 11.2 - How to install (a video speaks a thousand words)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=167&v=8Da_5yIJFrw

B) Take note that to boot the FreeNAS OS for the first time, you need to set the boot device to be able to boot from USB drive with the installed FreeNAS OS through the BIOS. The video should be very clear and provide sufficient instruction to get it boot up. Another thing to note is that the USB drive should only contain the FreeNAS OS and nothing else!

Yes, it is as simple as that!

The dashboard should look like this:
bCNOr4j.jpg

Step 3: Configuring the FreeNAS

3.1 Configuring the UPS:
One Simple function of FreeNAS is connecting it to a compatible UPS and allowing the system to shut down when switch to back up battery or when the UPS battery is running Low. This is extremely useful for 24/7 system and if you running a personal home hosted cloud, or you do want to seriously protect the data precious to you. UPS can be easily configured on the “Services” tab on the left hand side. I have tested with 2 OTS APC UPS sold in Singapore and both worked well, they are:
(I) APC Back-UPS CS series at 650VA with USB
(II) APC Back-UPS with AVR at 700VA with USB
I will recommend option II for the silent operation without the light humming noise.

Below are my configuration:

Last edited:

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
I suggest making comparisons to other os/similar nas software like snapraid + mergefs. Pooled vs raid/raidz etc.

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used to contemplate doing something like what TS is doing but due to time constraint and productivity now I rather pay US$12/month to Google GSuite Business (/w unlimited storage) then backup to BackBlaze Business backup to eliminate all these hassles.

But then it still a pleasure to watch how others are doing it, maybe when opportunity arises, I will relook and attempt this kind of setup. Thread subscribed.

ghgan1

Reaction score
It is much cheaper to get diy nas from taobao. Infact the hardware is overkill for a nas. UPS also overkill and good to have only, never encounter a power trip that causes data loss or damage to NAS for both enterprise and consumer nas as well as DIY nas.

Only drawback for nas are hdd failure due to aging, and power supply faulty. Motherboard seldom fail within 5yrs period.

Swiftbladez

Master Member
Reaction score
It is much cheaper to get diy nas from taobao. Infact the hardware is overkill for a nas. UPS also overkill and good to have only, never encounter a power trip that causes data loss or damage to NAS for both enterprise and consumer nas as well as DIY nas.

Only drawback for nas are hdd failure due to aging, and power supply faulty. Motherboard seldom fail within 5yrs period.

What's the search term for DIY NAS from taobao? Will like to have a look.

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

is it possible to omit hardwares like motherboard, PSU, ram, cpu with just a hdd cage and the freeNAS software just load & run from a USB drive?

I think UPS is important like buying an insurance cos you'll never know when it will be triggered on unexpected event. Best is to standby with one since they cost like under $200 for 650VA.

Last edited:

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looks interesting, I can always repurpose some older hardware I have lying around.

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Problem with re-purpose old hardware is power consumption. Don't forget majority of the time, your nas will be on idling which will consumer quite alot of power. I rather have my nas on 24/7 and sip like 10-15watts for cpu on idle vs something like 60 watts on idle.

Ah Ken

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for sharing. I am also interested in setting up this but also lost at some of the terminology involved. Possible to share the software setup?

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahahahahah. Now I learned one more reason for setting up a Home NAS.

Is only when u want to hoard all your anime...Drama... Prawn... Iso Blu-ray movies

Else the upkeep for and is pretty high

I know some uncles ... Crash Liao.. replace HDD.. very hard pain one

ghgan1

Reaction score
Unfortunately usb drive is just a drive that store data and does not have any cpu, ram or physical connection to hdd. You can buy a hdd cage but still require the basic pc component such as the motherboard, cpu, ram to setup a nas. Just treat the nas as a very low power pc with a small case to connect to many hdd as a file server. You can try raspberry pi that is relative small, but not sure whether it got the horse power to setup as a nas.

I rather spend $70 to buy another diy nas from taobao as redundancy and backup nas instead of a UPS. The 2 diy nas total power consumption are still much lower than 1 small UPS. Also the UPS might need to change the battery after 1 or 2 years or so and proper disposing the old battery will be expensive.

is it possible to omit hardwares like motherboard, PSU, ram, cpu with just a hdd cage and the freeNAS software just load & run from a USB drive?

I think UPS is important like buying an insurance cos you'll never know when it will be triggered on unexpected event. Best is to standby with one since they cost like under $200 for 650VA.

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I rather spend $70 to buy another diy nas from taobao as redundancy and backup nas instead of a UPS. The 2 diy nas total power consumption are still much lower than 1 small UPS. Also the UPS might need to change the battery after 1 or 2 years or so and proper disposing the old battery will be expensive.

The job of the NAS is to ensure you have a small window (depending on your load and batt capacity) to properly shut down a PC/NAS connected to it either via manual intervention or auto software in the event of power failure, this is to prolong HDD/SSD life from sudden power disruption which can corrupt or worse case damage them. You can't control how are they damaged but you can certainly prevent them from getting damaged.

A good quality UPS battery can last approx 5 years or more under optimum operation i.e... consistent max charge meaning when a UPS is fully charged, the charge will hold and the UPS will switch to power source. Under stable power supply, there no requirement to constantly discharging & recharging (frequent power failures/disruptions) your UPS battery will last longer. If your UPS constantly needs to discharge to supply power to your peripherals using the battery then this will cause wear&tear to hence its battery life will be shorten.

shiroyuki03

Reaction score
FreeNAS build of 11.2-U6. This is a purpose build DIY NAS to replace a home file server which has been running for the past 8 years.

The hardware list (all hardware easily gotten from Amazon and SLS):
1) 8x 4TB WD Red NAS drives
2) Pentium Gold G5400, at dual-core at 3.7GHz
3) ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac with dual intel GbE
4) Kingston DDR4 Value RAM 2x 16GB
5) Corsair SFX 450W PSU
6) APC Back-UPS CS series at 650VA
7) IO crest 4 Port SATA3 PCIe card
8) Silverstone DS380 NAS casing
9) Sandisk Cruzer Fit 64GB with FreeNAS 11.2-U6 installed

Build Purpose
1) store and back up all my precious files, lossless music and family photos
2) run my personal “Nextcloud” to sync my work desktop automatically
3) file server to my media boxes
4) Plex server-optional
5) able to run 24/7 with minimal troubleshooting and link to an UPS. Able to shut down safely on its own during power trip, lightning strike or deliberate or accidental power outage
6) redundancy to withstand hardware failure and file corruption
7) data roll back using snapshots

1nMVw5T.jpg

CcgQUbP.jpg

eSyVsdL.jpg

OT2dzAN.jpg

Its a great idea to run this too. i wanted to run this. however, i encounter some issues when setting up.

1. permission issue whereby anyone who uses sftp, can access everyone data even though permission is set in place

2. accessing externally via ftp or seamlessly.

Do you have any of these issues mentioned above? i would like to seek your expertise in setting up.. as NAS cant be solely relied on.

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Its a great idea to run this too. i wanted to run this. however, i encounter some issues when setting up.

1. permission issue whereby anyone who uses sftp, can access everyone data even though permission is set in place

2. accessing externally via ftp or seamlessly.

Do you have any of these issues mentioned above? i would like to seek your expertise in setting up.. as NAS cant be solely relied on.

Best to use SFTP. Exchange the keys with your phone/device which wants to access. That way, you can access without password and only that particular device can access via SFTP.

1. SFTP is able to set user permissions. So simply create more then 1 user. Don't everyone share same account. Then assign appropriate folder permissions to specific users.

2. You need a static IP or dynamic dns service to do this. I actually won't really recommend this unless you know what u are doing as you need to open the right ports etc. I would rather host a VPN server, VPN in from my device and connect to my home network then connect via SFTP from there and xfer the files or watch your prawn from there.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.