AirBNB Dilemma

toophat15

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I wanna ask if you guys can feedback on this. I just comeback from my trip from AU. So basically i kinda not sure what to do now.

So here is brief summary.

- Along the stay at this host place, my parents does damage the carpet where when she using the iron board which is partially spoiled though, suddenly collapse to the ground and the iron hits the carpet which let to burn iron mark. This is our fault so im ok to pay for the damaged portion of the carpet and not the whole carpet.

- I forgot to turn off the aircon due to haste of checking out as our flight is at 7 and we are far out into the city. So in the house rules there is a charged, so this is also our negligence so we ok to pay.

- This BNB has cleaning fees and mind me, we tried to clean the stove as hard as we could and we only given only dishsoap and a towel. So the host want to charged us a additional cleaning fee as the stove is dirty as it needs special tools to clean. I mean if they gave the right tools in the first place, i would definitely clean it. Even they dont provide mops or other cleaning supplies. We even clean toilet with just a pail and cloth we used as the bathroom to dry. We even vacuum the house also. So yea, the house rules say additional charge will be incur if its not well clean. This im reluctant to pay.

- Upon checked out, we all used the bathroom and no clogs was found in the bathtub but upon her inspection after we left, she mention the bathroom was clogged. I know before we leave, we clean the bathroom meaning i try to dig all the hairs out from drainage as we have few ladies in my family and definitely has lots of hairs. Just that i forgot to throw out upon leave the house at 4am. So the host called a plumber and want us to pay for the plumbing. This also i reluctant to pay as it can be plumbing issue since day 1 or a cumulative of all guest before us which can also clogged it and we are the sway ones the happened.

So basically im suppose to pay for below:

- New Ironing Board (I dont mind paying even the board was partial damaged in first place)
- Carpet Invoice (Our fault so we dont mind paying)
- Plumbing Invoice (I dont agree)
- Aircon Not off upon check out (Our fault so we dont mind paying)
- Additional Cleaning for stove (I dont agree as no proper cleaning supplies given to use for cleaning and we pay cleaning fees for that matter.)

Any advice.? I dont mind paying if its our issue but some is just ridiculous. Thanks.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How would they force you to pay? Just tell them you would pay for those that you damaged

toophat15

Reaction score
The Host is still awaiting for invoice from the carpet and plumbing. Also carpet im only willing to pay for that portion that was damaged and if they decide to change the whole living room then im not willing to pay.

Even the host try to accused me of taking things that we didnt even touch. Basically this host has drinks/tidbits in the kitchen which she put price so that to make our life "easier" so no need to go woolies or coles. She say we drank 2 cans of coke and a juice which i clearly remember the quantity she say that was left over was exactly the save when i checked it, hence she didnt dare to charged me.

Now im not sure whats the protocol here. I mean im a simple person, i damage i pay. i wont make noise unless things that i used before i left is not damage then after that you claim its damage then something is wrong esp the plumbing. I know for the fact before we all left to airport, we all of course took a bath and no clogs happened in bathtub. When she inspect then clog happen. So idk.

greenhse

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How was the review from other people who rented before you? They have the similar issues?

I have rented many times of Airbnb all over in Australia and NZ, so far so good.

toophat15

Reaction score
The host is a super host, hence why i booked them cause all the reviews is good. But i didnt really read the house rules till when im going to the BNB. Usually when i booked, i usually just see the amount of bedrooms/beds and the reviews then just book it cause that the most important thing. Just that after seeing this house rules, i got a shock of my life.

I mean every year i visit AU and so far all good experience. Even on the same trip, i booked another BNB and we accident broke a plate and told the host and they are cool with it and even we offered to pay but they say its fine.

toophat15

Reaction score
We stayed for 5 nights. Mind us that we had to check out to the airport at 4am, so prior to that, we whip up some breakfast then we do the dishes, vacuum and also wash the toilet using hand clothes cause no cleaning supplies was given.

From the picture they shown is the exhaust grilled and also the ones around the gas stove rings since need a metal scrubber to clean in which wasn’t provided or else i would have cleaned it.

Even for the bathtub, we try to use kebab sticks we bought when buying chicken kebabs to dig out all the hair from tub drains but forgot to clear it as we placed on top of the tub as we were chasing for time.

The carpet i dont mind paying but i cant obviously pay for the whole house carpet if the invoice comes out to show. Now the invoice yet out but the carpet its self already worn out and its just not right. If i know, might as well i whacked the whole house if i know i have to replace. This still awaiting for them to give me the invoice.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Show us the listing so we can put them on the banned list..

commie_rick

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Host is still awaiting for invoice from the carpet and plumbing. Also carpet im only willing to pay for that portion that was damaged and if they decide to change the whole living room then im not willing to pay.

Even the host try to accused me of taking things that we didnt even touch. Basically this host has drinks/tidbits in the kitchen which she put price so that to make our life "easier" so no need to go woolies or coles. She say we drank 2 cans of coke and a juice which i clearly remember the quantity she say that was left over was exactly the save when i checked it, hence she didnt dare to charged me.

Now im not sure whats the protocol here. I mean im a simple person, i damage i pay. i wont make noise unless things that i used before i left is not damage then after that you claim its damage then something is wrong esp the plumbing. I know for the fact before we all left to airport, we all of course took a bath and no clogs happened in bathtub. When she inspect then clog happen. So idk.

its impossible to repair a small part of the carpet. usually the entire room is being replaced.

toophat15

Reaction score
Thats what im afraid of. Its gonna cost thousands of dollars. Not yet including the labour work and all. Its just ridiculous for me to replace it all by myself.

Anyone knows how this claiming works? What happens if the guest die die dont want to pay? I read online that if the cost of the damage is more than the deposit price that the host set, airbnb will cover to cost. So i also dont know what to do already.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't recall putting any deposit for airbnb, this host seems to be out to get his guest to pay for his renovation..

Avizoa

Reaction score
There is no deposit for airbnb unless it explicitly stated in their listing.
Even so, you can't replace just one part of a carpet when you damaged it, that is why you need to pay for the whole carpet replacement.

Did you take photos when you check out? I always do that incase the host pull some funny stunts.

Do you also mind sharing the listing of this airbnb that you booked?

LaiHam

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I wanna ask if you guys can feedback on this. I just comeback from my trip from AU. So basically i kinda not sure what to do now.

So here is brief summary.

- Along the stay at this host place, my parents does damage the carpet where when she using the iron board which is partially spoiled though, suddenly collapse to the ground and the iron hits the carpet which let to burn iron mark. This is our fault so im ok to pay for the damaged portion of the carpet and not the whole carpet.

- I forgot to turn off the aircon due to haste of checking out as our flight is at 7 and we are far out into the city. So in the house rules there is a charged, so this is also our negligence so we ok to pay.

- This BNB has cleaning fees and mind me, we tried to clean the stove as hard as we could and we only given only dishsoap and a towel. So the host want to charged us a additional cleaning fee as the stove is dirty as it needs special tools to clean. I mean if they gave the right tools in the first place, i would definitely clean it. Even they dont provide mops or other cleaning supplies. We even clean toilet with just a pail and cloth we used as the bathroom to dry. We even vacuum the house also. So yea, the house rules say additional charge will be incur if its not well clean. This im reluctant to pay.

- Upon checked out, we all used the bathroom and no clogs was found in the bathtub but upon her inspection after we left, she mention the bathroom was clogged. I know before we leave, we clean the bathroom meaning i try to dig all the hairs out from drainage as we have few ladies in my family and definitely has lots of hairs. Just that i forgot to throw out upon leave the house at 4am. So the host called a plumber and want us to pay for the plumbing. This also i reluctant to pay as it can be plumbing issue since day 1 or a cumulative of all guest before us which can also clogged it and we are the sway ones the happened.

So basically im suppose to pay for below:

- New Ironing Board (I dont mind paying even the board was partial damaged in first place)
- Carpet Invoice (Our fault so we dont mind paying)
- Plumbing Invoice (I dont agree)
- Aircon Not off upon check out (Our fault so we dont mind paying)
- Additional Cleaning for stove (I dont agree as no proper cleaning supplies given to use for cleaning and we pay cleaning fees for that matter.)

Any advice.? I dont mind paying if its our issue but some is just ridiculous. Thanks.

Do you have travel insurance? If yes, most insurance should cover Personal Liablity ie 3rd party damage. And AirBnb has Host Protection Insurance that shld also cover damages to their home caused by guests. Perhaps can negotiate to host to cover some claims through their insurance.

However, if this host is trying to pull a fast one on you and you have no travel insurance ... then I suggest you contact Air Bnb Resolution Centre to dispute the claims so they can follow up and verify.. maybe they can help to reach a better settlement.

Btw, claims have deadline... depending on which insurance company. AirBnB is 14 days, so quickly take action.
https://www.airbnb.com.sg/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-centre

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.