Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can cast viu as well. One thing good about Android TV os is that when you cast apps like toggle and viu it skips the stupid ads

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT

Good tip. Thanks.

For Viu I think you need to pay for Viu Premium in order to cast to TV.

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
Those apps you installed are the good apps. And it seems to me they already cover music, Cantonese and English Entertainment pretty well already.

What kind of apps do you want in addition to the above? It all depends on your needs.

For example if you are SingTel user you may want to install SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast.

You can also cast Toggle and Starhub Go from your mobile phone.

I'm just wondering if I miss any great apps out, looks like I've got it covered for now. Anyone knows if there's any way to block ads on the Official Youtube app on mi box S?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I miss any great apps out, looks like I've got it covered for now. Anyone knows if there's any way to block ads on the Official Youtube app on mi box S?

one way is to run youtube on your phone , then chromecast the video to mibox s.

go to facebook group - tv box sg - to find out more about apps.

curryloti

Reaction score
Tried out PrimeOS standard version, it's great when it is working. But overall, slightly buggy with fickle booting on my AMD APU HTPC.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried out PrimeOS standard version, it's great when it is working. But overall, slightly buggy with fickle booting on my AMD APU HTPC.

To me there is really no much advantage of using Android x86, Mi Box S, Amazon FireTV stick or those S905X2/S905X3 based boxes ((S$30 to S$100) will be much quiet and easier to use.

On the other hand, it is also not difficult to run Kodi and Potplayer or other apps under Windows, or just use the websites.

Last edited:

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Only one question.

I need a box that provides good quality streaming of all Malaysian ASTRO Chinese and other Malaysian Chinese channels.

Which Android TV box to buy?

curryloti

Reaction score
To me there is really no much advantage of using Android x86, Mi Box S, Amazon FireTV stick or those S905X2/S905X3 based boxes ((S$25 to S$100) will be much quiet and easier to use.

On the other hand, it is also not difficult to run Kodi and Potplayer or other apps under Windows, or just use the websites.
Already have a Tannix and a Xiaomi S global box each, both bought via Lazada.

The Xiami S was erratic new out of the box and lasted all of 2 months before somehow self-bricking on just a reboot. It just hangs and never reaches the desktop since. Tannix is still good but slow.

Ordered another cheap 905W box from China, on the way but meanwhile... try out PrimeOS lor.

it works better with intel chips
Can confirm that.

Strange thing is that the same PrimeOS flashdrive boots/reboots 100% well on my Intel desktop but the AMD htpc can only boot successfully once but hangs on reboots.

To get the AMD booting again, I just have to boot it once over the Intel before swapping back. lol

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Already have a Tannix and a Xiaomi S global box each, both bought via Lazada.

The Xiami S was erratic new out of the box and lasted all of 2 months before somehow self-bricking on just a reboot. It just hangs and never reaches the desktop since. Tannix is still good but slow.

Ordered another cheap 905W box from China, on the way but meanwhile...

Which Tanix? New Tanix with S905X2 CPU or S905X3 CPU should be pretty decent. But if you buy from China (say Taobao) you will get OEM version.

No point buying S905W box for now since the S905X2/X3 boxes are pretty cheap. For example, OEM version of TX3 S905X3 box 2GB/16GB is about RMB150 from Taobao (RMB125 for bulk purchase of 20pcs) if you want to try your luck on the OEM version of Tanix. Official Tanix version is at US$34 from Gearbest.
https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009559912180.html?wid=1433363

Note for Tanix TX3 from Gearbest.

2GB RAM + 16GB ROM for single-frequency single WiFi 2.4GHz without Bluetooth 4.1
4GB RAM + 32GB ROM and 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM for dual frequency dual WiFi ( 2.4GHz + 5.8GHz ) with Bluetooth 4.1

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xiaomi S box has no reset hole as far as I can see.

thx for the info but too bad, oredi buy 905W liao.

who say must use reset hole to do reset :s22:

The procedure for factory reset:

1. unplug power

2. Press [ok] and [back] at the same time on the remote, do not remove.

3. Get someone to help to plug in the power.

4. Release [ok] and [back] once you see the recovery menu on TV.

5. Repeat step 1-4 if necessary.

6. Select factory reset and press ok

read this facebook post for more information (need to join before you can read)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/tvboxapps/permalink/1676648149145600/

Last edited:

simple_n_eazi

Reaction score
Hi i have a roku streaming stick+
Does anyone know how to install apk on the stick? I tried to find ways on that but can't find any.
Hope there are some experts here who can guide me. Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi i have a roku streaming stick+
Does anyone know how to install apk on the stick? I tried to find ways on that but can't find any.
Hope there are some experts here who can guide me. Thanks

Roku does not run Android, it can not install apks.

It is very good for US market but not as good in Singapore. You can use it for apps like Netflix as it is certified by Netflix.

simple_n_eazi

Reaction score
Roku does not run Android, it can not install apks.

It is very good for US market but not as good in Singapore. You can use it for apps like Netflix as it is certified by Netflix.

Oh. If I buy a mi box s which is recommended by many over here, can the box be used by Netflix? Guess it is not certified by Netflix given it is from China.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh. If I buy a mi box s which is recommended by many over here, can the box be used by Netflix? Guess it is not certified by Netflix given it is from China.

Mi Box S is for global market and it is certified by Netflix. It is also certified by Google so you get Chromecast function as well. It is the best value sub-S$100 box in Singapore.

Another possibility is Amazon FireTV Stick 4K. It supports Netflix a bit better than Mi Box S in that it supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.