Investment Advice for Old Newbie

ehonda

Reaction score
hello all, I am in my mid-40s and finally realized that I need to plan for retirement :s22: in maybe another... 15 years

from my tiny research, I am looking at the below options for long term and probably very high risks investments, do provide your kind comments or advice:

- $100K investing in Maybank products which the RM briefly told me it's around 7% to 8% returns
- $50K in robo advisors (no know which one, StashAway? SYFE? FSMOne?) with monthly amounts, as a start to test out before loading more funds

or any suggestions?

thanks in advance

boredboiboi

Master Member
Reaction score
hello all, I am in my mid-40s and finally realized that I need to plan for retirement :s22: in maybe another... 15 years

from my tiny research, I am looking at the below options for long term and probably very high risks investments, do provide your kind comments or advice:

- $100K investing in Maybank products which the RM briefly told me it's around 7% to 8% returns
- $50K in robo advisors (no know which one, StashAway? SYFE? FSMOne?) with monthly amounts, as a start to test out before loading more funds

or any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Maybe you can name out what is the maybank product for better advice?

ehonda

Reaction score
Maybe you can name out what is the maybank product for better advice?

if I am not wrong, these are the ones

• JP Morgan Global Income
  • BlackRock Dynamic High Income
  • Fidelity Funds - Global Multi Asset Income Fund

Prof. Utonium

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would you really use the privilege or lounge?

Have one with the local bank but did not bother with their privilege. Neither did I use any of their investment products.

For those recommended by your RM, what is the TER?

Reaction score
As someone else mentioned earlier you should really check the TER (total expense ratio) of the products Maybank is offering.

Syfe announced a financial advisory offering today (some of it seems to be paid offering), maybe they can help you.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
  • JP Morgan Global Income
This is a global bond fund, and it's about 2/3rds junk bonds. There's an initial sales charge of up to 5%, and the fund manager's fee alone is 1.25% per year.

• BlackRock Dynamic High Income
I think this is called the "BGF Dynamic High Income Fund." It's an actively managed fund, and it's also global, albeit not so well diversified. It currently does a lot of covered call writing, holds a decent chunk of junk bonds, makes floating rate loans, a little emerging market debt.... Just a bunch of oddball (and rather risky) stuff. The initial sales charge is up to 5%, and the annual management fee alone is 1.5%.

• Fidelity Funds - Global Multi Asset Income Fund
This is another mixed fund holding a lot of bonds (including junk and emerging market bonds) and some stocks, also international. The initial sales charge is up to 5.25%, and the annual management fee alone is 1.25%.

I think it's safe to say that the person who recommended these funds is highly likely to be maximizing his/her sales commissions. Your interests are secondary, if that.

All three of these funds are high cost. You can do better, much better.

eD1s0n

Reaction score
This is a global bond fund, and it's about 2/3rds junk bonds. There's an initial sales charge of up to 5%, and the fund manager's fee alone is 1.25% per year.

I think this is called the "BGF Dynamic High Income Fund." It's an actively managed fund, and it's also global, albeit not so well diversified. It currently does a lot of covered call writing, holds a decent chunk of junk bonds, makes floating rate loans, a little emerging market debt.... Just a bunch of oddball (and rather risky) stuff. The initial sales charge is up to 5%, and the annual management fee alone is 1.5%.

This is another mixed fund holding a lot of bonds (including junk and emerging market bonds) and some stocks, also international. The initial sales charge is up to 5.25%, and the annual management fee alone is 1.25%.

I think it's safe to say that the person who recommended these funds is highly likely to be maximizing his/her sales commissions. Your interests are secondary, if that.

All three of these funds are high cost. You can do better, much better.

But to be fair I have never seen a bank that actually charges "up to 5%" for the initial sales charge

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But to be fair I have never seen a bank that actually charges "up to 5%" for the initial sales charge

You have never? Go to maybank, they charge 5% sales charge. My mum was charged 3.5% at UOB. Dollardex, FSM, Philip's charge zero fees, I don't why people still go to bank to get chopped.

eD1s0n

Reaction score
I personally have seen many being charge 3-5%.

You have never? Go to maybank, they charge 5% sales charge. My mum was charged 3.5% at UOB. Dollardex, FSM, Philip's charge zero fees, I don't why people still go to bank to get chopped.

wah then i count myself lucky as dbs just 0.82%.
3-5% is indeed ridiculous. dump the RM immediately.

Last edited:

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah then i count myself lucky as dbs just 0.82%.
3-5% is indeed ridiculous. dump the RM immediately.

Try walking in to DBS instead of buying online, I don't think they will charge you 0.82%. Banks are known to charge close to the maximum sales charges for walk in customers.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I take note of the other comments, but 0% is also "up to 5%." ("Up to 5%" only expresses a maximum, not a minimum.) I think you meant that you're personally not familiar with banks that charge 5%.

Leave that aside. Let's suppose ehonda is the lucky customer that doesn't pay a sales charge for these funds. (I doubt it, but let's suppose.) They're still high cost dog food; he should not buy these funds. He can do substantially better.

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

They don't know any better, so they get conned by bank employees and insurance salespersons.

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If people can stop panic selling, a low cost Boglehead porfolio is already a perfectly viable investment strategy for retirement.

The problem is the panic selling part. And relatives. And friends. And the banks. And insurance agents. And the media.

Oh god, I just realized that everything around the world is working real hard to make retail investors lose money by making stupid decisions.

*Brain expands*

Last edited:

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If people can stop panic selling, a low cost Boglehead porfolio is already a perfectly viable investment strategy for retirement.

The problem is the panic selling part. And relatives. And friends. And the banks. And insurance agents. And the media.

Oh god, I just realized that everything around the world is working real hard to make retail investors lose money by making stupid decisions.

*Brain expands*

Unfortunately, the ETF market is not very developed in Singapore (maybe hong kong is better) other than the ES3, G3B , A35, there are very few large ETF for the common person. And there are pretty much concentrated in Singapore.

Investing in US market is pretty much a hazzle.

I can understand why the unit trust market is pretty big in Singapore.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.