Difference in Big 4 and small audit firm - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

glorious94

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is almost always the case for winter interns in black firm? Even if one does average for the duration?
it depends on performance i would say. dont know the exact details but i have received PO from them before after completing winter internship.

Sent from moi brain using GAGT

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
What is the turnover rate for big 4?

I have one friend who is big 4 senior. He always look stressed and miserable macham like whole family die already. Big 4 audit really that jialat ah? He told me he work from 9 to 8pm during off peak season and until 3am during peak season. He said the people in the office all damn serious and soulless like robots.

hard2findjob

Reaction score
Good day to everyone.

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows if the job scope for "Financial Services Advisory - Customer" at EY is very tech based and whether need background in IT.. appreciate any info

Thanks

jace88

Reaction score

I have one friend who is big 4 senior. He always look stressed and miserable macham like whole family die already. Big 4 audit really that jialat ah? He told me he work from 9 to 8pm during off peak season and until 3am during peak season. He said the people in the office all damn serious and soulless like robots.

i am offended. i have a soul!

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score

Highly dependent on industry and client. Some work like dogs all the way, while others don't have much work all the way.

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what are some of the industries with a lower workload?

Ok need to qualify a bit. It also depends on how much staff can be allocated to a client. Which indirectly depends on an estimate of the difficulty of the audit and how much is being charged to the client.

Other non-exhaustive factors:

1) Complexity of the group structure. Consolidation, FX, or is it just a branch.
2) Amount per transaction and number of transactions. A one million dollar transaction may be easier to audit than many small transactions.
3) Availability of information. Is it easy to understand the process flow? Do you have difficulty getting the information you need? Is the client nasty?
4) Audit methodology. Is there a better way to perform the audit procedures?
5) Partner/Manager. Some are particular about certain aspects of the audit.

KeroMax

Reaction score
i am offended. i have a soul!

because you have reached manager level?

Sent from moi brain using GAGT

:s13:

The guy from 1988 would be manager or senior manager, while the guy from 1994 should be associate/senior associate. Not surprising if these two experiencing drastically different lives.

Just tank 6 years and life will change. (but not necessarily for the better..)

My 2 cents is: You must realize big4 is really very big. Like hundreds plus people inside. Cannot just hear from one person and assume the whole company is like that.

There will be extremes cases. (i.e people who can 6pm go home, people who OT until 4am) The kind of portfolio you get is also up to luck sometimes. A lot of factors... your client, your boss, your subordinates, your own competence, the nature of the portfolio you get, the deadlines etc.

Not all of which are within your control... :(

kennycai

Reaction score
Anyone has experience doing internal audit (IA) in a small to mid sized firm?

Can point out the pros n cons?esp for me who has no prior exp in IA,thank you☺️

jace88

Reaction score
:s13:
The guy from 1988 would be manager or senior manager, while the guy from 1994 should be associate/senior associate. Not surprising if these two experiencing drastically different lives.

Just tank 6 years and life will change. (but not necessarily for the better..)

My 2 cents is: You must realize big4 is really very big. Like hundreds plus people inside. Cannot just hear from one person and assume the whole company is like that.

There will be extremes cases. (i.e people who can 6pm go home, people who OT until 4am) The kind of portfolio you get is also up to luck sometimes. A lot of factors... your client, your boss, your subordinates, your own competence, the nature of the portfolio you get, the deadlines etc.

Not all of which are within your control... :(

Pretty much. Some you can, some you cannot. But then your ability to persevere and do well even when all the factors beyond your control work against you, is what the longer term success is dependent on.

(FYI I'm not a manager or senior manager ;) )

missWIKIseeks

Reaction score
Anyone can share what it is like working in Big4 Australia, in terms of work culture, people, etc? My friend who is an Aus PR, managed to get an experienced audit associate position in the Melbourne branch.

jace88

Reaction score
Anyone can share what it is like working in Big4 Australia, in terms of work culture, people, etc? My friend who is an Aus PR, managed to get an experienced audit associate position in the Melbourne branch.

Do you know which industry sector? Melbourne is an interesting market as it has the head office of two of the large Australian banks (ANZ and NAB), as well as various other financial and non financial institutions. Depending on firm and client base in Melbourne for the sector, there could be a different focus even within assurance whether it be audit or non-audit (eg regulatory, compliance, non-financial assurance, etc).

Work culture is a bit more relaxed than Sydney (and Singapore), but there is still a similar focus on efficiency as per rest of Australia - its not a holiday despite what some people think. Hours are usually not long compared to Singapore (9-6 for most of the year) but expectation is work will be done efficiently during the day, and any issues or delays are proactively managed with the manager/partner. Expectations on an experienced associate vs Singapore will be broader than pure execution and delivery, and will include much more coaching and taking the initiative around acting senior responsibilities.

missWIKIseeks

Reaction score
Do you know which industry sector? Melbourne is an interesting market as it has the head office of two of the large Australian banks (ANZ and NAB), as well as various other financial and non financial institutions. Depending on firm and client base in Melbourne for the sector, there could be a different focus even within assurance whether it be audit or non-audit (eg regulatory, compliance, non-financial assurance, etc).

Work culture is a bit more relaxed than Sydney (and Singapore), but there is still a similar focus on efficiency as per rest of Australia - its not a holiday despite what some people think. Hours are usually not long compared to Singapore (9-6 for most of the year) but expectation is work will be done efficiently during the day, and any issues or delays are proactively managed with the manager/partner. Expectations on an experienced associate vs Singapore will be broader than pure execution and delivery, and will include much more coaching and taking the initiative around acting senior responsibilities.

Hi jace88, thanks for your reply. The audit industry is retail, so like products and services. I Guess she’s a bit uncertain in terms of work culture. She feels she should be more introverted, perhaps observe first and then talk more later. She’s my Cousin and she’s naturally shy but talks too much once she gets to know a person.

Also from what I know, people there tend not to talk about age, salary, where you live, women’s size or skinniness, unlike here in Singapore where people talk about these things, so that’s what I’m telling her.

It seems to me, like big4 in australia doesn’t have that many people compared to SIngapore. So more overtime or additional workload? E.g. she told me say like KPMG and PWC SIngapore have about 2,500 to 3,000 people each, whereas in Australia it’s much smaller spread between different cities.

jace88

Reaction score
Hi jace88, thanks for your reply. The audit industry is retail, so like products and services. I Guess she’s a bit uncertain in terms of work culture. She feels she should be more introverted, perhaps observe first and then talk more later. She’s my Cousin and she’s naturally shy but talks too much once she gets to know a person.

I think culturally, being outspoken and challenging the approach/senior/etc is considered a positive trait. It's also one way to indicate you understand and appreciate what you're doing, and helps ensure no wastage in inefficient approaches.

Also from what I know, people there tend not to talk about age, salary, where you live, women’s size or skinniness, unlike here in Singapore where people talk about these things, so that’s what I’m telling her.

I think it depends how close you are to colleagues but keep in mind things like salary are usually more personal here, and physical appearance is generally not something discussed openly as it could be considered inappropriate.

It seems to me, like big4 in australia doesn’t have that many people compared to SIngapore. So more overtime or additional workload? E.g. she told me say like KPMG and PWC SIngapore have about 2,500 to 3,000 people each, whereas in Australia it’s much smaller spread between different cities.

Different focus at different grades - I'd say generally speaking there's less substantive testing of millions of samples and instead there's a heightened focus on finding more efficient/effective testing methods and also using offshore locations which are more cost effective.

zezima239

Reaction score
Anyone received offer from orange firm for experienced hire general assurance?:o

You went for orange firm experienced hire interview? got case study? how long did they take to call you for interview from the time you submitted your application?

jace88

Reaction score
You went for orange firm experienced hire interview? got case study? how long did they take to call you for interview from the time you submitted your application?

lol only on hwz the moment someone say they had an interview, lurkers come out and ask about every step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.