Start Your Retirement Planning at 40

kuang89

Reaction score
Start Your Retirement Planning at 40 & Forget About F.I.R.E.

*Retirement Planning is very much like the martial arts scene.
**There are forums where people extensively discuss *how to fight.

**Many know how to throw a punch and a kick, but have never been in an actual fight.
Last but not least, there are plenty of martial arts schools teaching their own style of martial arts. They claim to sell the best martial arts manuals.

*But jokes aside, I have been seeing more and more people start their FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early) journey.

*For that, we have created a Retirement Progress Checker for you to *use, read *on to find out how you can download this.

And today, we'll start with why you need to start your retirement planning at 40 and how it will change the way you execute* your retirement planning.

**As a disclaimer, this article is to explore another approach to retirement planning. Do not *spend every single cent of money just because you think you can start at 40. Save up as a habit whenever you can.***

Why Start Retirement Planning at 40?
First and foremost, let's establish what constitutes as serious retirement planning.

Retirement planning needs cashflows aside for a LONG PERIOD OF TIME and the main purpose is for your OWN USE AT RETIREMENT AGE.

Almost everyone preaches the benefits of planning early without factoring the commitment needed to a long term plan.

In addition, there's just too much changes from ages 25-40!

Some are trying to upgrade and figure out life's interest. Some are trying to settle down and start families.

Rest of the article here:
https://www.theastuteparent.com/2019/11/start-at-40/

iceblendedchoc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can share the methods adopted by you ?
So that fellow forumers can learn from u...

It is not rocket science. Can start small if you can afford small amount.
Invest in etf every month on their behalf so they get a sizeable sum of money because of compound interest by retirement age.

Once they are older, I give them some form of decision making on what do invest.

Last edited:

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I open a cpf account for my kids and start to put in 100 every month for them. Baby bonus all in to kick-start. Dunno wise or not

Sent from Long Live The KING! using GAGT

Mephist0pheLes

Master Member
Reaction score
Lol. Things change so don’t plan?
After 40 things won’t change? What if u get retrenched at 40? Plan to eat grass for the rest of your life?

And after reading your post, I still dunno y planning at 40 is better than FIRE?

And btw, if u Wan to share, copy and paste the article here. Otherwise I will report your thread for advertising when I’m home

SKenny

Banned
Reaction score
40yrs too late.. Start as early as possible.. Best start af study..

I agree. To start planning for retirement at 40's is too late, at least to me.

I started my retirement plan when I first joined the workforce. It was not just having some vague idea about retirement but actual plan with numbers/assumption. The plan got refined and updated over the years.

I retired in my 40's.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.