How much would a resale 1600 square foot 5-rm HDB cost?

firsttimebuyer

Master Member
Reaction score
1600sqft sound like old flat
Like Marine Parade 50+ yrs left

Errmm.. Just a bit of a weird question but why do we regard flats witb like 50-60 years left on the lease as old? I noticed this too with many other people. I get that as the lease runs out, the value rapidly decreases and it becomes harder to resell.

But it's a 99 year lease and I suppose at 45 years left, it's just halfway through the lease?

I get that the value of the HDB decreases as the lease runs out but 99 years is nearly 2 generations..

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Errmm.. Just a bit of a weird question but why do we regard flats witb like 50-60 years left on the lease as old? I noticed this too with many other people. I get that as the lease runs out, the value rapidly decreases and it becomes harder to resell.

But it's a 99 year lease and I suppose at 45 years left, it's just halfway through the lease?

I get that the value of the HDB decreases as the lease runs out but 99 years is nearly 2 generations..

Old in the sense that the internals are old. Copper power wires/cables within the walls will deteriorate over time. It will cost a lot to change those, same goes for water pipe, aircon pipe as well.

So the older the flat, the more problems it may come with until new owner pump in $$ to give it a new life.

Reaction score

Structurally speaking 30yrs of wear and tear I’d call it old flat already
Industrial experts can share about maintainence cost and let us know how old is considered old
I suppose gov does the maintenance work for HDB so we don’t worry about town council just pay the same SCC

yoongf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Use propertyguru app and key in search criteria.
There are very very few units abv 1600 sqft, and mostly are clustered in 3 Areas.

yoongf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Older estates hv older residents. The windows are smaller and ceilings / beams are lower.

As lease decay and the 95yr age ruling, shorter balance lease means only the older ppl can use CPF to buy.
Older residents usually suggest lower household incomes.

Dream catcher

Reaction score
>1600 sqft hdb is usually catagorized as EA or EM or Jumbo. Which estate you looking at makes a difference in pricing.

Most EA in that size are constructed in the 80’s - 90’s, typically 73 yrs lease left for the newer ones like Pasir Ris. Unlikely you’ll get one in this size with 90+ yrs bal lease in newer estates.

Just asking and working out my sums, newbie here, 1600 square foot resale 5-rm HDB?

Last edited:

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just asking and working out my sums, newbie here, 1600 square foot resale 5-rm HDB?

Where to find 5rm flat at 1600 sf? Got to be very rare and old or 2 units combined as one. Even for executive flats, not easy to find that size.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.