[URGENT] Acer vs Lenovo ultrabook

illumnae

Reaction score
I'm looking for an ultrabook to bring along on my photography trips for backup and light editing, and finally more brands have launched their ice lake models in time for 11.11 sales. The laptop will also be used for my exams overseas next year so comfort in typing long essays in addition to portability is important.

Initially I was eyeing the Dell XPS 13, but it's expensive.

I've found the Lenovo Yoga S740 (14) and the new Acer Swift 5 both suit my needs with identical specs and roughly the same price after discounts. The differences spec wise would be that the Acer is much lighter at 998g vs 1.4kg, but the Lenovo has a brighter screen at 500 units vs 287. It's weight vs screen so roughly neck to neck for me.

What would help me decide is general build quality impressions between the brands as well as after sales support. China brand vs Taiwan brand. I've used Acer laptops before and my impression is generally not bad, but that was years ago. Anyone can share experiences with both brands?

I need to buy today or tomorrow to catch the sales price.

Thank you!

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an ultrabook to bring along on my photography trips for backup and light editing, and finally more brands have launched their ice lake models in time for 11.11 sales. The laptop will also be used for my exams overseas next year so comfort in typing long essays in addition to portability is important.

Initially I was eyeing the Dell XPS 13, but it's expensive.

I've found the Lenovo Yoga S740 (14) and the new Acer Swift 5 both suit my needs with identical specs and roughly the same price after discounts. The differences spec wise would be that the Acer is much lighter at 998g vs 1.4kg, but the Lenovo has a brighter screen at 500 units vs 287. It's weight vs screen so roughly neck to neck for me.

What would help me decide is general build quality impressions between the brands as well as after sales support. China brand vs Taiwan brand. I've used Acer laptops before and my impression is generally not bad, but that was years ago. Anyone can share experiences with both brands?

I need to buy today or tomorrow to catch the sales price.

Thank you!

Would be nice if u can sic the links

Yoga might have issue with durability

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anytime Acer for better battery life.
Lenovo can only take the ThinkPad series.

obichacha

Reaction score
Stay away swift 5, battery life after 6 months fully charged can last for 3 hours only.

Acer fan too loud to compare for Lenovo.

If planing for Long usage should not concern about weight.

happi3friend

Master Member
Reaction score
Would recommend looking at lenovo thinkpads. Their build quality is quite solid. Most of the recent models can churn out 400nits at base specs if i am not wrong.

As for lenovo or acer, lenovo warranty support is worldwide and onsite. I only heard people saying to stay away from acer, but i believe they are referring to lower-tier laptops, unlike the swift 5, which really does seem good. No idea about acer warranty.

with regards to build quality, are you referring to thinkpad T series and above?

I saw reviews about thinkpad E series being really lousy

which is why im hesitating to buy this 11

chaiscool

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asus zenbook, 1.1kg and bright screen. Ux433fn / ux434fl. Or cheaper one is ux431fl

Last edited:

illumnae

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice! I went down Funan today and ended up getting the Acer. Hands on inspected the 2 I mentioned plus Dell and Asus ultrabooks and after weighing all options it was still a close fight between the Acer and the Lenovo. The 4k 500 nits screen on the Lenovo was really beautiful and imo even better than Dell, so I almost went ahead to buy it. However ultimately the new Swift 5 was really super light without feeling flimsy (the 2018 model felt flimsy to me, so Acer upped their game this year) plus despite the lousier HD screen, it was touch enabled unlike the Lenovo, so that touch screen tipped the balance for me in terms of value. The Acer was a super new release too so it felt good getting something so new as well :s13:

Hope I don't regret my purchase!

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice! I went down Funan today and ended up getting the Acer. Hands on inspected the 2 I mentioned plus Dell and Asus ultrabooks and after weighing all options it was still a close fight between the Acer and the Lenovo. The 4k 500 nits screen on the Lenovo was really beautiful and imo even better than Dell, so I almost went ahead to buy it. However ultimately the new Swift 5 was really super light without feeling flimsy (the 2018 model felt flimsy to me, so Acer upped their game this year) plus despite the lousier HD screen, it was touch enabled unlike the Lenovo, so that touch screen tipped the balance for me in terms of value. The Acer was a super new release too so it felt good getting something so new as well :s13:

Is a good choice. Battery life is good too.

limpingsim98

Reaction score
Stay away swift 5, battery life after 6 months fully charged can last for 3 hours only.

Acer fan too loud to compare for Lenovo.

If planing for Long usage should not concern about weight.

Never happen to me. You either has a bad battery or always charge battery before it runs low.

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

May I check which shop you bought from? How is the battery life?

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lenovo is a safer brand.

Acer be prepared to send in for service with 3y warranty

rabbit1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lenovo is a safer brand.

Acer be prepared to send in for service with 3y warranty

Not true. Owned a lenovo yoga, within 7 days, exchange a new unit, and sent for repair twice alr. Thank God they have onsite warranty.

My other Asus also went inside once, but lasted for 6 year and still going strong.

So it depends.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.