[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah super pissed off.
The migrate from SHR to SHR 2 as I posted earlier started from 8/11/2019 and getting 60 over errors with auto HDD plug in & Out and missing.
Today finally ended and gave me a migration failed message.
I dismantle the NAS again to see that the SATA III backplane with engraved on the PCB board is model DS412.....
now back to repairing the degraded drive again.......

Is there a way to check currently I'm using all 4 HDD or only 3 HDD, or change my SHR from 4 HDD to 3HDD?
I don't want to keep getting degrade prompt and repair the faulty drive.
Would prefer to us 3 drive and keep the last one empty.

Last edited:

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah super pissed off.
The migrate from SHR to SHR 2 as I posted earlier started from 8/11/2019 and getting 60 over errors with auto HDD plug in & Out and missing.
I dismantle the NAS again to see that the SATA III backplane with engraved on the PCB board is model DS412.....

Is there a way to check currently I'm using all 4 HDD or only 3 HDD, or change my SHR from 4 HDD to 3HDD?
What HDD are in your NAS?

mdsummer

Reaction score
Hi all, thinking of getting the synology ds218 or 218+. Is it better to get at the tech show happening now, or during black Friday?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah super pissed off.

u can't. u gotta rebuild the entire array.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What HDD are in your NAS?
All 4 is HGST NAS drive.
6TB * 2 & 8TB * 2
One if the 8TB just Rma.

u can't. u gotta rebuild the entire array.
Now I encounter another issue....
From the earlier SHR to SHR 2 migration failed and I repair the degraded HDD.
Now it shown SHR, but with 2 disk fault tolerance???

It’s supposed to be SHR is 1 disk and SHR 2 is 2 disk fault tolerance right?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All 4 is HGST NAS drive.
6TB * 2 & 8TB * 2
One if the 8TB just Rma.

Now I encounter another issue....
From the earlier SHR to SHR 2 migration failed and I repair the degraded HDD.
Now it shown SHR, but with 2 disk fault tolerance???

It’s supposed to be SHR is 1 disk and SHR 2 is 2 disk fault tolerance right?

yes, it wouldn't show you "SHR2". It would just show you SHR with 2 disk fault tolerance.

C_boliao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys need help with dlna issues with Synology and my LG smart TV.

Previously I can view n play my media from the TV and blu-ray player. But lately, both TV n blu-ray just cant seem to detect Synology anymore

Any advise?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys need help with dlna issues with Synology and my LG smart TV.

Previously I can view n play my media from the TV and blu-ray player. But lately, both TV n blu-ray just cant seem to detect Synology anymore

Any advise?

check your DLNA settings on your router and NAS.

C_boliao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nas check and set accordingly to the recommended setting
Under media server. Or so I thought.

For router, can't seem to find a setting for it. Using dlink

check your DLNA settings on your router and NAS.

CrunchTime

Reaction score
Hi, I have a DS418j and my 4TB storage (setup: one 4TB HD for storage, the other for redundancy) is almost full. So I bought another 2 x 4 TB HDs.

My intention is transfer all my data from the existing 4TB HD to the new one and then pair the new HD with the existing one as one volume (such that the existing HD will serve as a backup), and then pair the other new one with the other existing one (after reformatting) so that the additional 4TB can be setup as the 2nd volume. I understand that this is possible.

Can someone let me know the best way to do this or point me to an online guide? Thanks! :)

Last edited:

CrunchTime

Reaction score
Hi, I have a DS418j and my 4TB storage (setup: one 4TB HD for storage, the other for redundancy) is almost full. So I bought another 2 x 4 TB HDs.

My intention is transfer all my data from the existing 4TB HD to the new one and then pair the new HD with the existing one as one volume (such that the existing HD will serve as a backup), and then pair the other new one with the other existing one (after reformatting) so that the additional 4TB can be setup as the 2nd volume. I understand that this is possible.

Can someone let me know the best way to do this or point me to an online guide? Thanks! :)
I think what I want (and need) to do is to change my current RAID 1 to RAID 10. But it seems like this is quite complicated. I read online that RAID 5 is good enough for 4 bay NAS? Appreciate if someone can let me know what I should do. Thanks!

Last edited:

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think what I want (and need) to do is to change my current RAID 1 to RAID 10. But it seems like this is quite complicated. I read online that RAID 5 is good enough for 4 bay NAS? Appreciate if someone can let me know what I should do. Thanks!

Read here to decide on protection/capacity required for your intended usage.

BTW, I am using SHR for my DS418.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.