Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Singtel is 100KB block.

Still better than per simple message rounded to 100KB.

When I was using Singtel 2GB, I didn't notice the fast data. Some more I toggled data frequently.

Probably because I didn't use internet messaging frequently.

per simple message rounded to 100KB

Was assumption on my part until some pointed out I was wrong.

Not sure if any of the MNO or MVNO calculate the blocks that way. Probably not in retrospect after some brought up some points.

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
then? Do explain how it works. So if we send lets say 3000 whatsapp messages, which is only one byte to 999kb per message, but because of block size of 1mb, it won't be counted as 3gb usage?

no... that is network block size...

charging block size... we don't know if the telcos calculate by per month or per day/hour etc... but what it means is lets say it's per day... if you used 50KB in one day and charging block size is 100KB then ur 50KB data in that day is considered as 100KB...

regards,
wacky

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The rounding up in the final bill is definitely rubbish.

If the block size is data per unit time, then it will be mentioned like

1mb/min or 1mb/hour, 100kb/min or 100kb/hr etc.

The block is mentioned in data size only.

Isn't there a telco or 4G data expert around in this forum?

they don't have to mention every single bit of details how they calculate the data charging method...

your data block size is rubbish... as mentioned b4... IPv4 maximum data block size can only reach 64KB... so you can't break up your data blocks into as big as 100KB since they are already in smaller pieces to begin with...

regards,
wacky

Last edited:

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you are right,Now that u mention it, remember someone mentioned Singtel round up too 100kb every 5 or 8 hours or something or if you shut down the data whichever is earlier. Can't remember clearly. Probably the rest works something like that too. Best way would be to email each MVNO MNO and ask how exactly they calculate. Remember reading that the 3gb on redone seems to consume at a faster rate than circle life because of the 100kb v 10kb block

most probably is because of the rounding up after certain unit time... and redone perhaps does this rounding up more frequently than other telcos and/or having larger block size...

regards,
wacky

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
After a few months, i can conclude... M1 sim only is not as good as i would think it is. After my contract ends early next yr, i am going to jump back to Singtel, most likely Gomo.

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
No more $25 for 25gb. Also no more $5 bill rebate for 24 months (code: nocontract is not working).

Now min price is $25 for 15GB.

5YmHm2.md.jpg

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No more $25 for 25gb. Also no more $5 bill rebate for 24 months (code: nocontract is not working).

Now min price is $25 for 15GB.

With reasonable data, I think this one is not too bad.

Otherwise, you have to go with a MVNO and multiple SIM.

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no... that is network block size...

charging block size... we don't know if the telcos calculate by per month or per day/hour etc... but what it means is lets say it's per day... if you used 50KB in one day and charging block size is 100KB then ur 50KB data in that day is considered as 100KB...

regards,
wacky

still confused between network block size and charging block size difference.

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After a few months, i can conclude... M1 sim only is not as good as i would think it is. After my contract ends early next yr, i am going to jump back to Singtel, most likely Gomo.

Last time M1 was very close to singtel. How come nowadays so many complaints? Would starhub be a better choice compared to M1 now?

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
still confused between network block size and charging block size difference.

network block size is just a technical thingy about how data is transported in networks...

you see... the network physically breaks up files you send out in small blocks when sending them out (the receiving end will assemble these blocks back into the same file)... so if your network block size is 10KB... even a short message of 1KB is going to require 10KB to transport... normal ppl wouldn't need to worry about this...

charging block size is just simply how telcos charge you... instead of converting every byte into $$$... they charge you by blocks you used over certain period of time (maybe per month or per day or per hr etc)... (you can see it like per min charging or per second charging for voice calls)

regards,
wacky

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
network block size is just a technical thingy about how data is transported in networks...

you see... the network physically breaks up files you send out in small blocks when sending them out (the receiving end will assemble these blocks back into the same file)... so if your network block size is 10KB... even a short message of 1KB is going to require 10KB to transport... normal ppl wouldn't need to worry about this...

charging block size is just simply how telcos charge you... instead of converting every byte into $$$... they charge you by blocks you used over certain period of time (maybe per month or per day or per hr etc)... (you can see it like per min charging or per second charging for voice calls)

regards,
wacky

Understood. Thanks for the explanation

darr

Reaction score
Was trying some online game. Circles works fine, but keep getting no internet connection when on M1. Same location.

And TPG blocks hotspot function. Coverage has not improved much since it started the trial, getting frequent network loss in large sheltered areas, like hawker centres, CCs...

I have a M1 contract line with 2 supplementary lines. Does the supplementary lines need to be on their own plan before I can switch telco or I can switch directly? Has anyone tried it?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
so bad ah m1

Was trying some online game. Circles works fine, but keep getting no internet connection when on M1. Same location.

And TPG blocks hotspot function. Coverage has not improved much since it started the trial, getting frequent network loss in large sheltered areas, like hawker centres, CCs...

I have a M1 contract line with 2 supplementary lines. Does the supplementary lines need to be on their own plan before I can switch telco or I can switch directly? Has anyone tried it?

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score

TPG can hospot la no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.