[Official] Playstation 4 PS4 club - Part 3

mliolukiye

Reaction score
Death Stranding couldn't keep me going......so there goes, the DEATH of my playthrough like 15 hours.

I find myself skipping the repetitive animations and feeling more burdened the more I play. I want to quickly finish each delivery to progress the story. Though it keeps on giving you something new (new weapon/equipment, new structure to build etc) almost after each delivery but it isn't motivating enough to push you further. Fighting the MULES is really easy and poses no challenge - just punch, evade a bit, punch, punch, KO and repeat. Even with the stealth, it doesn't make it exciting. Fighting BTs when you got caught by them in the "black tar" gets old quickly too because it is like always the same.

Now the good parts. It is original (Social Strand System & Delivery concept) and realistic when you look at the physics of your cargo, moving across difficult terrains and how the environment impacts you etc. The mechanics are elaborate, interesting and detailed. The game creates that atmosphere of a lone traveler helping to keep everyone connected through deliveries through overcoming various obstacles with beautiful scenery and a great soundtrack - there are a few cinematic parts when you see yourself in the vast and beautiful environment. Awesome feeling. The Social Strand system is interesting and through your journey, people help one another (leave vehicles or gear behind for you to use, help collect and deliver your dropped cargo, build structures to help you cross a difficult river or bumpy terrain) and you can also pay it forward by doing the same. You really see the "Connected" bond between strangers in this virtual world. Cutscenes and storytelling entice you (well, it's Kojima-san) to want to know what happens next, to get your curiosity fulfilled.

I'm probably only 1/3 (or less) into the game and there may be more I haven't seen yet but that's it, I'm now more interested in watching the cutscenes and dialogues than to play it - currently 6.5 hours out of 11.5 hours.

One important thing to note: At the end of TGS 2019, Kojima-san said that they don't have money but have good "connections" with people to help them build this game.

My opinion: I'm thinking, likely due to limited funds and therefore he has to strip down the game? Those who played MGS4 and/or 5, the arsenal of weapons/equipment is so huge, and it gives you so many ways to approach enemies via stealth/head on with different combo of equipment you carry. My point is: Death Stranding's combat (BTs/MULES) seems too simple for his standards and there should be more things we can do than just build structures, deliver and travel. There's definitely potential here to give this game much more depth.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
A question about the Social Strand System: are we sure those are real people and not just AI randomly giving you likes and left-over items? I mean, it can have player names and such but they can still be fake.

About stripping down the game, I can't help but think there might be a Battle Royal mode in the future. Just reuse the open world that's already built, have players fight each others to rob their cargoes, and have to quickly deliver to random collection spots on the map. The more you bank in, the higher your score (and you regain health/ammo when you bank in), but if you die, you are out. And there's a circle that keeps closing in. When you are outside the circle, BTs come out and attack you, but unlike other battle royal games, you can still beat the BTs and get back into the circle. Eventually the last 3 (or whatever number) remaining will face a super BT and they have to work together to beat it (so it's PvE within PvP). Finally they will automatically be airlifted out via balloon (ala MGS style) and the highest score wins.

Elysium87

Reaction score
i think for DS this time with Kojima, his focus is more on story/people connection rather than the game.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
A question about the Social Strand System: are we sure those are real people and not just AI randomly giving you likes and left-over items? I mean, it can have player names and such but they can still be fake.

About stripping down the game, I can't help but think there might be a Battle Royal mode in the future. Just reuse the open world that's already built, have players fight each others to rob their cargoes, and have to quickly deliver to random collection spots on the map. The more you bank in, the higher your score (and you regain health/ammo when you bank in), but if you die, you are out. And there's a circle that keeps closing in. When you are outside the circle, BTs come out and attack you, but unlike other battle royal games, you can still beat the BTs and get back into the circle. Eventually the last 3 (or whatever number) remaining will face a super BT and they have to work together to beat it (so it's PvE within PvP). Finally they will automatically be airlifted out via balloon (ala MGS style) and the highest score wins.

Pass like xavi + Messi + iniesta + Ronaldinho

mliolukiye

Reaction score

About stripping down the game, I can't help but think there might be a Battle Royal mode in the future. Just reuse the open world that's already built, have players fight each others to rob their cargoes, and have to quickly deliver to random collection spots on the map.

From what I know, they are real players. That day I was watching a DS gameplay on YouTube, someone commented that the YouTuber used his bridge. And someone even used a bike left by YouTuber YongYea.

Kojima-san's vision is to connect players via building structures to help each other out or leaving cargo and items for others to use, etc instead of promoting violence among players. Even the guns used in the game are non-lethal towards MULES. Some guns can even bind the BTs instead of killing them. You got a great idea here but I think it may not happen as it may topple his vision.

Just as you mention that, maybe will have multiplayer to recover stolen cargo from MULES as multiple Sam-like customisable characters. And work together to fight BTs and build structures to ease each other's travels, recover cargo and "share the load" or relay (passing the baton) to deliver successfully within a given period etc.

WhiteHunter

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

social strand system are real people. saw one video got one guy put ladders in the middle of nowhere to sabo others. some players will climb the ladders then only have to climb back down cos it lead to nowhere.

also kojima said he might feature sg in his next game.

this battle royale mode seems popular. even ghost recon breakpoint also have it.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Shenmue 3 first impressions are popping up.

- Very much like a game made back in the days long ago.

- It follows immediately after Shenmue 2. There is a recap video you can watch (the story is not complicated anyway), so new players can jump right in.

- In the first 2 games, if you have to meet someone who only appears certain time at night or you have to wait for shop to open, you have to wait for the in-game clock, no way to 'sleep' till that time. Here you can skip time forward.

- Cannot reverse y-axis (I never remember what normal/reverse means, basically in this game, push stick up will move camera up).

First impressions mostly say that it's for fans of the original games.

Last edited:

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Shenmue 3 first impressions are popping up.

- Very much like a game made back in the days long ago.

- It follows immediately after Shenmue 2. There is a recap video you can watch (the story is not complicated anyway), so new players can jump right in.

- In the first 2 games, if you have to meet someone who only appears certain time at night or you have to wait for shop to open, you have to wait for the in-game clock, no way to 'sleep' till that time. Here you can skip time forward.

- Cannot reverse y-axis (I never remember what normal/reverse means, basically in this game, push stick up will move camera up).

First impressions mostly say that it's for fans of the original games.

More or less the same as the 1st 2 games?

LouisSaha

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Anyone playing World war Z on PS4?
Looking for kakis to play together. ;)

networked

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) will launch PlayStation®5 (PS5™) in several countries in the holiday season of 2020 and will make PlayStation®5 (PS5™) available in North America on November 20, 2020 at a recommended retail price (RRP) of $499

More or less official. :s12::s12:

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) will launch PlayStation®5 (PS5™) in several countries in the holiday season of 2020 and will make PlayStation®5 (PS5™) available in North America on November 20, 2020 at a recommended retail price (RRP) of $499

More or less official. :s12::s12:

that time then hoot 4k tv also..

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
New Sakura Wars Demo (Chinese Ver.)
https://store.playstation.com/en-sg/product/HP0177-CUSA17016_00-NEWSAKURAWARSDEM

SD GUNDAM G GENERATION CROSS RAYS Trial Version (English Ver.)
https://store.playstation.com/en-sg/product/HP0700-CUSA17630_00-ENSDGGENECRRYSDM

Last edited:

midlusionz

Reaction score
Hi anyone know where can i buy a controller at a good price and Black friday sales for PSN i assume start next friday? O_O

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.