[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jace88

Reaction score
I wonder when Synology will release a new consumer 4-bay NAS to replace the DS918+. Feels like it's a bit old and whilst the 1019+ came out which is pretty much same NAS with one more drive bay (and more RAM), it's largely same same. I've been itching to upgrade my DS216j to a 4 or 5 bay, but it just doesn't feel like enough of a leap given it's already a couple of years old and surely another generation is coming soon.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Better then WD RED or IronWolf?

cheaper and value for money.
faster rpm.
Won't suffer incompatibility like WD Red with Synology+hibernate that leads to hdd crashes every now and then.

I don't know what is bad about it.

danxiaogui86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cheaper and value for money.
faster rpm.
Won't suffer incompatibility like WD Red with Synology+hibernate that leads to hdd crashes every now and then.

I don't know what is bad about it.

Thanks man! Will most likely go for the 4tb

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used Toshiba 7200rpm HDD in current DS418 and previous DS414. Total 8 pcs no issue.

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am noob on these networking stuffs, I have a DS218J at home.

anyone know how to setup a folder to be shared with other users and can be accessed from other locations, modifiy edit the files etc. Just 1 folder only. Thanks.

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am noob on these networking stuffs, I have a DS218J at home.

anyone know how to setup a folder to be shared with other users and can be accessed from other locations, modifiy edit the files etc. Just 1 folder only. Thanks.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got it bro. thanks so much.

Just checked, tradepac selling 194 for 4tb. lazada 165. what the cheapest ever get?
I realized you are looking at Toshiba NAS HDD instead of normal 7200rpm one $130. No need to spend extra on NAS one.

jace88

Reaction score
How often do you guys update/upgrade your NAS?

I still have my DS216j going strong, and I'm tempted by DS918+ but then I feel like I should wait at least another generation given my DS216j is fine and I have no real pressing need to upgrade.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I still have my DS216j going strong, and I'm tempted by DS918+ but then I feel like I should wait at least another generation given my DS216j is fine and I have no real pressing need to upgrade.

As for me, 3-4 years.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

then wait. my last units was 1515+ now i am using 2 x 918+

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Still on my DS1511+ :) Storage and protection, and surveillance storage, not keen for more on it. Have better options to run intensive workloads

voux00

Reaction score
Still on my DS1511+ :) Storage and protection, and surveillance storage, not keen for more on it. Have better options to run intensive workloads

I used DS413j until last year then the SATA port died & motherboard started getting cranky... upgraded to 1819+ to prep for future disk expansion, heh...

Got spare $ or need more bays then upgrade lor, else they can last very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.