Macbook Pro 16 Inch officially released

Icterine

Reaction score
It just happen so MY and SG are sharing the same model configurations (plugs and etc) and thus, the same packaging, for both countries.

So don’t have to worry if AppleCare doesn’t cover. It does cover in SG (and internationally too).

Cool, didn't know that standard 1 year warranty is international warranty.

Icterine

Reaction score
XPS are the best looking windows laptop i think

As much as possible I"ll stay away from Dell because their after sales service is basically non-existent. They don't even have an official warehouse in SG and all purchases from the flagship store have to be back-ordered and shipped from Malaysia.

IMO, the Surface Book 2 is the nicest looking windows laptop. But it costs slightly more than the 16" MBP with a dated and underpowered CPU+GPU. (2017 Hardware)

So now I'm left with Apple MBP 16". It's marginally cheaper than the Dell and Microsoft. Plus, I study overseas and global warranty coverage certainly helps a lot.

decibel.

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys anyone using it for data science work? I'm thinking of going for 2.3 i9 8 core, 64 GB ram and 1 TB. Should I take 5500 4 GB or 8 GB?

Sent from HUAWEI VOG-L29 using GAGT

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys anyone using it for data science work? I'm thinking of going for 2.3 i9 8 core, 64 GB ram and 1 TB. Should I take 5500 4 GB or 8 GB?

For data science, you don’t need GPU. Just focus on CPU and RAM.

ksksksks

Reaction score
Don’t have to go until 64gb. 32 is sweet spot for many editors

5500 4gb to 8gb is a $100+ jump if u wanna max out the graphics

Jirachi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You don’t need 64GB for data science work. 32GB is more than enough.

Icterine

Reaction score

For data science work, you can go for a maxed out 13" MacBook Pro. Then, invest on a solid monitor like the LG 5K UltraFine Display or the upcoming Apple XDR Display. (Launching in December)

16" display won't do justice for data stuff. You"ll need a much larger canvas. 27" or 32" monitor preferably.

decibel.

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For data science, you don’t need GPU. Just focus on CPU and RAM.
That's what I thought. Cos my games also don't really use much gpu lol. Just that sometimes I do Photoshop and Lightroom I think should be fine right. Should I go 2.4 i9 processor with 5300 4gb or 2.3 i9 5500 4gb ?

Don’t have to go until 64gb. 32 is sweet spot for many editors

5500 4gb to 8gb is a $100+ jump if u wanna max out the graphics
You don’t need 64GB for data science work. 32GB is more than enough.
Thanks guys but I was using Thinkpad T series with 32gb ram and it's getting slow when I'm transforming huge dataset. So I thought 64 might ease the load in the long run.

For data science work, you can go for a maxed out 13" MacBook Pro. Then, invest on a solid monitor like the LG 5K UltraFine Display or the upcoming Apple XDR Display. (Launching in December)

16" display won't do justice for data stuff. You"ll need a much larger canvas. 27" or 32" monitor preferably.
I have monitor. Actually more for on the go too when running overseas and no monitor. Battery life is impt. But idk if a higher end graphic like 5500 will eat up my batt life?

Last edited:

Icterine

Reaction score
That's what I thought. Cos my games also don't really use much gpu lol. Just that sometimes I do Photoshop and Lightroom I think should be fine right. Should I go 2.4 i9 processor with 5300 4gb or 2.3 i9 5500 4gb ?

Thanks guys but I was using Thinkpad T series with 32gb ram and it's getting slow when I'm transforming huge dataset. So I thought 64 might ease the load in the long run.

I have monitor. Actually more for on the go too when running overseas and no monitor. Battery life is impt. But idk if a higher end graphic like 5500 will eat up my batt life?

In general, the higher the ram, the higher the power consumption. This applies to both DDR4 Ram and GDDR6 VRam.

There have been reports of 3-4h battery life on the 16" MBP when running with web coding applications. (No Utilisation of GPU)

If your'e focus is on battery life, maybe try out the XPS 15 7590 with the 1080p screen. You"ll get ~6h of battery life with intensive usage.

Last edited:

lunarsong

Reaction score
If battery life is a concern, can get a powerbank for laptop. There are some powerbank with PD and USB-C that can charge USB-C laptop.

Maybe an extra thing to carry around, but beats having to find a table in a public place (cafe) with a electrical socket nearby

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You should go for 2.3Ghz model with 64GB RAM and 5500M 4GB GPU. This should suit your usage. You need that H processor instead of the U processor found in 13”. That additional GHz in the 2.4Ghz doesn’t justify the $200+ increase.

Then again, $140 upgrade to 8GB GPU is worth it.

ksksksks

Reaction score
I have tried the Xiaomi powerbank gen 3 20k mah which supports 45W pd. Still a bit slow to charge since this laptop comes with a 96w brick.

Searched high and low but most powerbanks with wattage of 60W and above are like about $200.. until I found zmi powerpack 20k pro which gives out 65W and only costs $90. Gets the juice up fast as well.

Omni 20c is good also but too expensive. Does anyone know if we can plug in 97w brick into Ravpower 20100 mAh Powerbank that has a 3 pin UK port.

https://s.lazada.sg/s.igpt

If battery life is a concern, can get a powerbank for laptop. There are some powerbank with PD and USB-C that can charge USB-C laptop.

Maybe an extra thing to carry around, but beats having to find a table in a public place (cafe) with a electrical socket nearby

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

May not be necessary translate to better performance with 64GB Ram. Suspect it's the I/O bottleneck...

What's your task manager committed and cache memory values under peak load?

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have tried the Xiaomi powerbank gen 3 20k mah which supports 45W pd. Still a bit slow to charge since this laptop comes with a 96w brick.

Searched high and low but most powerbanks with wattage of 60W and above are like about $200.. until I found zmi powerpack 20k pro which gives out 65W and only costs $90. Gets the juice up fast as well.

Omni 20c is good also but too expensive. Does anyone know if we can plug in 97w brick into Ravpower 20100 mAh Powerbank that has a 3 pin UK port.

https://s.lazada.sg/s.igpt

I got the zendure one which can charge up to 100W along with the power adapter which can juice up the Powerbank in 100W in just an hr.

ksksksks

Reaction score
How much and from where? If too expensive maybe won’t consider :s13: since the laptop doesn’t charge at full 96W throughout

I got the zendure one which can charge up to 100W along with the power adapter which can juice up the Powerbank in 100W in just an hr.

decibel.

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In general, the higher the ram, the higher the power consumption. This applies to both DDR4 Ram and GDDR6 VRam.

There have been reports of 3-4h battery life on the 16" MBP when running with web coding applications. (No Utilisation of GPU)

If your'e focus is on battery life, maybe try out the XPS 15 7590 with the 1080p screen. You"ll get ~6h of battery life with intensive usage.

Yeah guess the power bank is useful then

decibel.

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May not be necessary translate to better performance with 64GB Ram. Suspect it's the I/O bottleneck...

What's your task manager committed and cache memory values under peak load?
80+ % with python processes sometimes my jupyter just crashed nowadays

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much and from where? If too expensive maybe won’t consider :s13: since the laptop doesn’t charge at full 96W throughout

I got it when Zendure was crowdfunding in Kickstarter. Since it has ended, you can get it from their store. Else another option will be from Hyper+. Also 100W.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.