Barber or Stylist?

freedom-strike

Reaction score
Hi, ask you all, ever since this trending Gentleman haircut started a few years back, just wondering for those who have such haircuts, do you all have it done in any other stylist?

Or in barber shops meant for the said haircut such as this one?

https://liembarbershop.com/

Quiff hairstyles will always be done by stylists instead or barbers?

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me, Stylists look pretty but I prefer those Malay barber any day. Faster and reasonable priced

holidayforever

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Both also ok, Malay barbers charge more reasonable prices around $15 max, these new style atas barber charges minimum $25 to $40 or even $50 but results could be similar or slightly better.

Why not pamper yourself and go once to try it out.

From an economical point of view, since guys need to maintain the hairstyle which requires you to cut once every 2-3 weeks, the atas type of barber might not be sustainable for your pockets in the long run.

freedom-strike

Reaction score
With all the many hairstyles being styled nowadays, i'm still confused whether to go to a barber or stylist.

bbbbbw

Reaction score
Now a lot of those Barbers doing fades for almost everybody without considering if the haircut suits the customer face

freedom-strike

Reaction score
Yeah.. But i mean, like for the sides and back, normally quiffs go with fades or?

How to tell stylist for the back and sides when going for a quiff?

ecan07

Reaction score
Does anyone knows if barbers are good with giving you a hairstyle that fits your face and head rather than the usual quiff?
My hair is fine and thin with a high forehead, so the usual popular hairstyles don’t really work for me. I jus need a neat haircut that fits my face will do. My usual stylist does the job reasonably well but he cost double of a barber so I wonder if I should go try one of recommended barbers like red panther or not.
One more question. Do the Malay barbers include wash hair at least before the cut? Reason being I may go there after work with my wax and all still on and surely will need a wash before cutting usually...

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone knows if barbers are good with giving you a hairstyle that fits your face and head rather than the usual quiff?
My hair is fine and thin with a high forehead, so the usual popular hairstyles don’t really work for me. I jus need a neat haircut that fits my face will do. My usual stylist does the job reasonably well but he cost double of a barber so I wonder if I should go try one of recommended barbers like red panther or not.
One more question. Do the Malay barbers include wash hair at least before the cut? Reason being I may go there after work with my wax and all still on and surely will need a wash before cutting usually...

Fine thin hair and high forehead, for Asians, personally i think suits short hairstyle. If your fine n thin is AMDK style and sides tapers rather than frays out when long, then can lookbook from AMDK guides.

nethdale

Reaction score
Fine thin hair and high forehead, for Asians, personally i think suits short hairstyle. If your fine n thin is AMDK style and sides tapers rather than frays out when long, then can lookbook from AMDK guides.

Hi, if the sides frays out, what do you recommend? Thanks

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, if the sides frays out, what do you recommend? Thanks

Unfortunately not many options:
1. Keep sides short and trim frequently to avoid fraying.
2. Keep them long enough until weight of the hair is able to get it fall in place naturally.
3. Use hair product to keep in place if you really want to keep a style that's short but layered at the sides

Current trends generally still feature short shaved/faded sides, so that is my personal recommendation. Main downside is high maintenance cost, frequent visits to barber/stylist.

nethdale

Reaction score
Unfortunately not many options:
1. Keep sides short and trim frequently to avoid fraying.
2. Keep them long enough until weight of the hair is able to get it fall in place naturally.
3. Use hair product to keep in place if you really want to keep a style that's short but layered at the sides

Current trends generally still feature short shaved/faded sides, so that is my personal recommendation. Main downside is high maintenance cost, frequent visits to barber/stylist.

Thanks for your advice. Yea, the downside is sucks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.