Youtrip (Pay overseas with no fees) DO NOT ask or post referral

beez83

Reaction score
Hi. I’m a new user to YouTrip.

Has anyone contacted youtrip before? I have emailed them already.

Problem: 1. I had topped up using my credit card but it is not reflected in the balance though it states successful TOP up.
2. There was a free 5SGD that I tried to convert to JPY and again it states successful but nothing appears to have changed in my balances in youtrip.

I cannot wait for a response that is so slow. Anyway to call them?

Reaction score
Does this youtrip card auto select whichever foreign currency I am in when shopping online without extra charges?

If I go to a China website... Then the website charge as SGD with their own conversion rate, and I manually change to YUAN, this youtrip card will auto charge Yuan using MasterCard wholesale exchange rate?

Last edited:

Jimmy1059

Reaction score
How to use youtrip while traveling in overseas, need convert to the country currency first? If yes, how to convert?

Tiger9119

Reaction score
Does this youtrip card auto select whichever foreign currency I am in when shopping online without extra charges?

If I go to a China website... Then the website charge as SGD with their own conversion rate, and I manually change to YUAN, this youtrip card will auto charge Yuan using MasterCard wholesale exchange rate?

Youtrip will use Mastercard exchange rate. Some online retailers and foreign brick & mortar shops will convert the transactions to SGD if your cards are issued in Singapore. This is known as Dynamic Currency Conversion(DCC). Avoid DCC at all cost, credit cards/banks(not youtrip) will add in 1% more for SGD transaction processed overseas and you also get lousy exchange rates.

Online retailers like Amazon, Aliexpress & Asos allow you to change the currencies on check out.

Tiger9119

Reaction score
How to use youtrip while traveling in overseas, need convert to the country currency first? If yes, how to convert?

You have the options to let Youtrip to convert or you can convert in advance for currencies like USD, GBP, EUR, JPY, HKD, AUD, NZD, CHF & SEK. For other currencies, you cannot change in advance.

You can exchange thru the app.

Imhthc

Reaction score
You have the options to let Youtrip to convert or you can convert in advance for currencies like USD, GBP, EUR, JPY, HKD, AUD, NZD, CHF & SEK. For other currencies, you cannot change in advance.

You can exchange thru the app.
Meaning to say if I top up an amount and when I m in Thailand I can just produce the card to use to pay in thb? Assuming my balance in sgd is sufficient for the charged amount. No need to convert since it is not one of the currencies in the option to convert.

Tiger9119

Reaction score
Meaning to say if I top up an amount and when I m in Thailand I can just produce the card to use to pay in thb? Assuming my balance in sgd is sufficient for the charged amount. No need to convert since it is not one of the currencies in the option to convert.

Correct, as long as you have enough credit in your wallets, in any one of the 10 currencies. For example, if you do not have enough credit in SGD wallet and you have credit in USD, the THB transaction will be deducted from both. Just make sure you have internet access when topping up while overseas.

cReDdY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Correct, as long as you have enough credit in your wallets, in any one of the 10 currencies. For example, if you do not have enough credit in SGD wallet and you have credit in USD, the THB transaction will be deducted from both. Just make sure you have internet access when topping up while overseas.

So I don’t have to convert to nzd before I withdraw from nzd bank? Any pro and cons?

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So I don’t have to convert to nzd before I withdraw from nzd bank? Any pro and cons?

Unless you know nzd will increase in value, better not convert. Convert already then likely will have leftover nzd which is hard to spend completely and if convert back to sgd incur another conversion rate loss.

blueG77

Reaction score
For ATM cash withdrawal overseas, Youtrip/Revolut will have different exchange rate?

Or will have same ATM exchange rate set by the overseas bank?

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For ATM cash withdrawal overseas, Youtrip/Revolut will have different exchange rate?

different rates. the rates are set by revolut and youtrip, not by the overseas bank. when doing withdrawal overseas, eg. in japan, you need to withdraw in yen, not sing$. if you withdraw in sing$, then the overseas bank will use their conversion rate + fees.

Tiger9119

Reaction score

You can even convert to the exact NZD amount you needed by adjusting the SGD amount until you get the correct NZD you needed. If you don't convert in advance, Youtrip will use Mastercard exchange rates. Most of the times, Mastercard exchange rates are a little better.

Last edited:

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

don't ever accept the exchange rates given by the overseas atm... you will get a bad rate.

kikomi

Reaction score
Hmm I'm not sure why YouTrip seems to be so popular when they have several critical issues (need to wait a few days to process transactions huh?!).

Just hope that people know that there are several other similar multi-currency wallets available to Singaporeans (use Google can easily find). YouTrip marketing v good ah like all my friends only know of that and nothing else.

Personally, I chose RHB TravelFX as my main consideration is to get a means to obtain cash if I run out of it while overseas. From my research last time, RHB TravelFX is the only one without its own overseas ATM withdrawal fee (there may be a fee imposed by the ATM operator which all foreign cards can't avoid). Most debit cards or other multi-currency wallets will impose $5 fee at least. RHB provides free ATM withdrawals for up to 20 times a year, which is more than enough for me since I don't have that many trips.

I've used my RHB card in Europe (many countries) and Japan and it worked perfectly for both ATM withdrawals and retail transactions. The mobile app is also easy to use and didn't give me any bugs, and can log in using biometric, don't need to rekey in login details.

Last edited:

cReDdY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unless you know nzd will increase in value, better not convert. Convert already then likely will have leftover nzd which is hard to spend completely and if convert back to sgd incur another conversion rate loss.

I see, so best is to leave it as SGD right?

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm I'm not sure why YouTrip seems to be so popular when they have several critical issues (need to wait a few days to process transactions huh?!).

Just hope that people know that there are several other similar multi-currency wallets available to Singaporeans (use Google can easily find). YouTrip marketing v good ah like all my friends only know of that and nothing else.

Personally, I chose RHB TravelFX as my main consideration is to get a means to obtain cash if I run out of it while overseas. From my research last time, RHB TravelFX is the only one without its own overseas ATM withdrawal fee (there may be a fee imposed by the ATM operator which all foreign cards can't avoid). Most debit cards or other multi-currency wallets will impose $5 fee at least. RHB provides free ATM withdrawals for up to 20 times a year, which is more than enough for me since I don't have that many trips.

I've used my RHB card in Europe (many countries) and Japan and it worked perfectly for both ATM withdrawals and retail transactions. The mobile app is also easy to use and didn't give me any bugs, and can log in using biometric, don't need to rekey in login details.

RHB charge extras if you are not using supported currencies, charge extra if never change currencies before using, i don't think its superior. Youtrip and revolut work for me.

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

few days to process (clear) transactions are for foreign currencies that youtrip wallet does not support. it's a visa/ mastercard thing, so your rhb card will also be the same.

i think all prepaid debit card should have the same drawbacks for certain type of payments.

rhb travelfx thread in this subsection have a lot of negative comments if i recall correctly, such as few months for users to finally get their card.

i agree that the free overseas atm withdrawal is a nice advantage. and also, i think you can transfer out your remaining balance out, which is really good.

not sure if there is any changes, but from what i remembered, you need to have enough of the foreign currency in your wallet or else you will get hit with a % fee whenever you make a payment in foreign currency... so that also means that non-support currencies will surely get hit with the % fee.

so bottomline, there are really good advantages using rhb travelfx card but there are disadvantages that needs to be pointed out.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.