Need some advice please..

yktan87

Reaction score
I had applied for Bank personal loan, and my sister came to know about it and question me about the reason and caused anxiety and tension in the family. I had gambling debt history but already turned over a new leaf.

Is it legal for bank to disclose customer info to my immediate family without my permission?
Can I seek legal action against the bank which disclosure of my info?

Thoreldan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had applied for Bank personal loan, and my sister came to know about it and question me about the reason and caused anxiety and tension in the family. I had gambling debt history but already turned over a new leaf.

Is it legal for bank to disclose customer info to my immediate family without my permission?

You confirmed it's the bank that informed your sister ?

Or did she see some letter lying around ?

yktan87

Reaction score
She moved out already.. and I only applied on Friday. She did told me she has friends in credit line as she used to work at bank before changing to other industry

Also, im the only one whom open letter daily..

Last edited:

Geeezz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the ans is no, bank cannot reveal customer history to anyone. and yes, you can complaint against the bank. the person who disclose the info will likely be fired from the job depending on how big the issue ish

but don't do it rah:s22:

tesarise

Reaction score
if really is your sis friend in bank told her about your loan, then mean the person violate banking secrecy act. should complain to the bank.

yktan87

Reaction score
Ok thanks bro.. i also dont want her friend get fired because i think my sis is the one who asked her friend to put radar on me..

I will see how it goes, if things get worse, will consider complaining to the bank

Btw, can anyone apply and access to my credit bruea report with just my Nric without my permission?

tesarise

Reaction score
Ok thanks bro.. i also dont want her friend get fired because i think my sis is the one who asked her friend to put radar on me..

I will see how it goes, if things get worse, will consider complaining to the bank

Btw, can anyone apply and access to my credit bruea report with just my Nric without my permission?

no. not legally

A. Only Credit Bureau (Singapore) and other MAS-approved institutions participating in Credit Bureau (Singapore) can have access to a consumer's credit report. The purpose for such access is restricted to the assessment of credit-worthiness of the consumers, and further disclosure to any other person is prohibited. All authorised personnel (of both members and the Bureau) will have unique ID and passwords to identify themselves when they access the Bureau´s database. Access by unauthorised personnel is prohibited. All access to the Bureau´s database is tracked.

wutawa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do u have any proof that bank disclose your info?

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For ur own good, don't take the loan. Ur sister has ur interest at heart.

tesarise

Reaction score
For ur own good, don't take the loan. Ur sister has ur interest at heart.

yet it is still illegal to share customer banking information to someone else without explicit approval.

Customer information in relation to a bank is defined in section 40A of the Act to mean:

any information relating to, or any particulars of, an account of a customer of the bank, whether the account is in respect of a loan, investment or any other type of transaction, but does not include any information that is not referable to any named customer or group of named customers; or

There are criminal liabilities for breach of the banking secrecy provisions in the Act. A bank officer who is in breach of section 47 is liable to a fine not exceeding S$125,000 or a term of imprisonment not exceeding three years or to both fine and imprisonment, and for the bank a fine, not exceeding S$250,000.

Geeezz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do u have any proof that bank disclose your info?

it’s easy to trace n track if what ts said ish true. but i am nt goin to say anything. aiyo mai cause ppl lose job la, ts gt his ans n say he wont pursue further riao. thread close:s22:

polyglob

Reaction score
it’s easy to trace n track if what ts said ish true. but i am nt goin to say anything. aiyo mai cause ppl lose job la, ts gt his ans n say he wont pursue further riao. thread close:s22:

Maybe just get OP to tell us which bank, so that we can avoid. :s13:

On one hand, agree can give chance should give chance. On other hand, if allegation is true, then that a bank employee is so easily influenced to violate banking secrecy shouldn't be taken lightly.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe just get OP to tell us which bank, so that we can avoid. :s13:

On one hand, agree can give chance should give chance. On other hand, if allegation is true, then that a bank employee is so easily influenced to violate banking secrecy shouldn't be taken lightly.

This could happen to any other banks.

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How your sister know which bank you applied? And so coincidentally her friend is working at the bank which you applied?

yktan87

Reaction score
Thanks all bros for your advice..

@polyglob, I prefer not to state the bank as it is an one-off situational based due to my personal history of gambling all my savings and got into bad debt where she bailed me out.. I dont think the bank staff will anyhow disclose info if you are not in my situation..

She and her friends all meant well for me, but just felt disappointed that my personal loan is not so personal. Moral of the story is once a sinner, will always be branded as sinner

Lucky to know that I still have a bullet on hand to question her source if the quarrel gets nasty=:p

@bendi85, yes, my sis used to hold a management position in a major bank, so she got to know quite a number of people in the line..

Last edited:

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks all bros for your advice..

@polyglob, I prefer not to state the bank as it is an one-off situational based due to my personal history of gambling all my savings and got into bad debt where she bailed me out.. I dont think the bank staff will anyhow disclose info if you are not in my situation..

She and her friends all meant well for me, but just felt disappointed that my personal loan is not so personal. Moral of the story is once a sinner, will always be branded as sinner

Lucky to know that I still have a bullet on hand to question her source if the quarrel gets nasty=:p

@bendi85, yes, my sis used to hold a management position in a major bank, so she got to know quite a number of people in the line..

Your sis holds a management post before so she shld know that personal data of customer shld not be revealed and yet she ask her friend to reveal to her? If reported your sister will also be in trouble.

yktan87

Reaction score
Ya lor.. nvm.. she texted me to lecture and advise me not to go back wrong route, case closed for now..

Havent face to face meet her yet, if things got interesting will update you guys :)

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What I'm hearing is that you used to be more in debt and your sis had to personally bail you out with her own money. No idea if you've paid her back since then.

If someone saved my ass from addiction, I think I would understand their concern if there are signs looking like I might return, and I think I'd be a bit more understanding and forgiving of their reaction even if they were wrong.

But hey. We don't know the full story.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are technical ways not to run afoul of bank secrecy regulations while still conveying certain information. Example....

Bank Employee: "Oh, I saw your brother the other day. It was nice to see him. Tell him I said hello and hope he's doing well."

Sister: "Was he inquiring about a loan?"

Bank Employee: "Oh, I really cannot say. You'll have to ask him that."

Sister: "Please remind me, what do you do at the bank?"

Bank Employee: "I work in the personal loan department."

yktan87

Reaction score
@okenba, yes. Repaid all to her and cleared all bank debts.
Its funny that legal and law by right should be correct and righteous, but sometimes it is ethically wrong in such scenarios.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.