Relying only on dividends payout

polyglob

Reaction score
Anyone here who invests solely to receive dividends only and without any interest in capital appreciation?

Looking into buying a blue chip share lot and sit on it for the dividends payout. Is such strangers ill-advises?

Not looking to be an active stock trader.

Not solely, but I built a dividend-focused portfolio thanks to reading AK and other Singapore bloggers.

Remember though - dividend payments result in the company's stock price being adjusted down accordingly. Meaning you are in a sense relying on the stock's price appreciation to maintain or increase the paper value of your holding.

metamofia89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not solely, but I built a dividend-focused portfolio thanks to reading AK and other Singapore bloggers.

Remember though - dividend payments result in the company's stock price being adjusted down accordingly. Meaning you are in a sense relying on the stock's price appreciation to maintain or increase the paper value of your holding.

Thanks for the reply! Don’t mind can explain your 2nd para? Does it mean the share price drops by $X on the day where the dividend of $X is paid out?

Angry Bird

Reaction score
for those lousy, and more passive type of small retail investors like me, can just go search from SGX ETF screener...

https://www2.sgx.com/securities/etf-screener

set classification to: EIP
(exclude SIP as those are synthetic/swap etf)

the yield is about 0.47% to 6.30%

but also note that ETFs are not much safer than directly investing into blue chips, the ETF fund managers could collapse. Anyway, most EIP ETFs are non-leveraged and should have something left if collapsed... :D

(BTW: I just found the D07 you are look at is SIP ETF)

Last edited:

homer123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been building monthly passive income via dividend (reits/stock) and interest from US Corp bonds for 3 years .. Work well for me as I am able to cover all monthly expenses for years
PjFM0yt.png

https://globalincome50.blogspot.com/2019/11/oct-2019-monthly-dividendinterest-and.html

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone here who invests solely to receive dividends only and without any interest in capital appreciation?

Looking into buying a blue chip share lot and sit on it for the dividends payout. Is such strategy ill-advised?

Not looking to be an active stock trader.

Edit: some serious typos.

LAnXRmy.jpg

10-Stages-of-Wealth-revised.gif

I am also a dividend investor. My target holding period for stocks/ETFs is forever as I plan to rely only on dividends, so capital gains is not as important as company earnings which are used to pay dividends!

Every year I seek to increase the amount of dividends collected! Looking forward the end of the year when I can finally calculate how much I managed to increase my dividends in 2019.

Currently I am able to cover my basic survival expenses with my dividends and slowly working my way to the next stage! =:p

Dividends Warrior

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Compound and compound. Getting some capital appreciation is a nice bonus. Cherry on the cake.
CD is the cake. :D

Dividend%2Brecord.png

$warrior

Reaction score
Compound and compound. Getting some capital appreciation is a nice bonus. Cherry on the cake.
CD is the cake. :D

Dividend%2Brecord.png

Yup, fully agree. Like you I took an excursion to the world of fast trading and found it not to my liking. Been following you and I am amazed at how you quickly rebuilt your portfolio

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
S$150,734 cumulative dividends collected over 10 years

:eek::eek::eek: impressive..

70.43% onto Reits.. :s22:

makes me feel like going into Reits too..

Gamma~

Reaction score
May i know if a co has already announced their upcoming dividend payout for this year, and now i buy their stocks, am i entitled to this upcoming dividend?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.