Question about Malacca

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nice. i spend cny in melaka a few yrs ago. eve of cny when the clock strikes 12, u may be able to hear n see a lot of fireworks. huat ah!

Yes, quite happening. Anyone else has any experience in going to Malacca during CNY period?

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

eve n first night a lot... lasted more than 15 mins... very nice and different atmosphere... can smell the gun powder smell all over the place... we drove back early morning on the second day at 5am. reached sg at 9+am.

not expert in fireworks, but saw those shoot into the sky and explode ones, so many different patterns... there was one type which was very bright - jus like our arty illum... then there were those super loud bang bang bang type...

in sg we only have pop pop and sparkler stick... lol

:(

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eve n first night a lot... lasted more than 15 mins... very nice and different atmosphere... can smell the gun powder smell all over the place... we drove back early morning on the second day at 5am. reached sg at 9+am.

not expert in fireworks, but saw those shoot into the sky and explode ones, so many different patterns... there was one type which was very bright - jus like our arty illum... then there were those super loud bang bang bang type...

in sg we only have pop pop and sparkler stick... lol

:(

Confirm with you and guys here again, so if I go on 2nd day of cny for 4d3n, most shop/restaurant will be open.
I know attractions will be open cos will have more tourist mah.
Going to book coach very soon. Left 7.30am coach, so early.

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Confirm with you and guys here again, so if I go on 2nd day of cny for 4d3n, most shop/restaurant will be open.

Unless you want to be caught in the jam when your coach leaves the NSHW going into Melaka town, you better catch that 7.30am one. ;)

Super peak season, that half hour ride into town can change your lunchtime arrival to early dinner. :s22:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unless you want to be caught in the jam when your coach leaves the NSHW going into Melaka town, you better catch that 7.30am one. ;)

Super peak season, that half hour ride into town can change your lunchtime arrival to early dinner. :s22:

So jialat ah. 1st time going Malaysia during cny period.

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i would say at last 70% of chinese makan place will be open but be prepared to pay slightly more.

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Walking tour still available? For Monday or Tuesday.

walking tour? as in like join a tour group there and they bring u to visit places? like stadthuys, museums, old churches, zoo, 3D art museums, portuguese square, butterfly reptile park....

i really dunno man. i have never joined any tour groups in melaka b4. we usually drive there on our own. if u are planning to visit these places on your own, u should check the individual websites of these attractions first. most of the time, they will indicate if they are open during these festive period.

have fun!

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would it be faster & cheaper to reach malacca (from Sin) if take Bus 170/CW to Larkin and take a coach from there? Are the coaches there same standard as those from Sin? Do the coaches have space to store luggage under the bus. Any experts who went Larkin Terminal to Malacca/KL/others?

===
Previous experience route: Went (+30 min travel) to Kovan Bus hub (waited 20 min) to board a KKKL coach, coach head south (+30 min travel) to Katong-area-hotel to pick up more passengers (+15 min) before heading to Tuas check pt . All in, after stepping out from house, 2hrs later still in Sin.

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would it be faster & cheaper to reach malacca (from Sin) if take Bus 170/CW to Larkin and take a coach from there? Are the coaches there same standard as those from Sin? Do the coaches have space to store luggage under the bus. Any experts who went Larkin Terminal to Malacca/KL/others?

===
Previous experience route: Went (+30 min travel) to Kovan Bus hub (waited 20 min) to board a KKKL coach, coach head south (+30 min travel) to Katong-area-hotel to pick up more passengers (+15 min) before heading to Tuas check pt . All in, after stepping out from house, 2hrs later still in Sin.

and iirc, somebody told me from larkin to melaka, one way is probably about rm20?

beanstalk6

Reaction score

===

Definitely cheaper. Faster? Depends on the situation at Woodlands. Usually coaches from Singapore go via Tuas, which bypasses JB. Nowadays all coachs come with luggage space below the deck. In fact, overhead space within the passenger compartment is very limited to non-existent. Larkin has better frequency if you consider the many companies that offer the route. Cleanliness is overall lower than the choices here. It is still possible to get the 4-seat in a row type of bus.

Usually I take KKKL from Queen Street. The coaches head directly for Boon Lay and then Tuas from there. I'm certain this route is faster than using 170 or Singapore Johore Express and then a subsequent Larkin connection from the same terminal.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So jialat ah. 1st time going Malaysia during cny period.
Don't need to be CNY, just any long weekend and you can encounter jam into Melaka and even the homecoming route.

Someone I know went to choose a long weekend to visit, got into Melaka town mid-afternoon or so, while I normally get there by about 1pm. Coming back, it's close to midnight when he got in while I'm normally in Orchard by about 8pm. :D

Thanks.
Walking tour still available? For Monday or Tuesday.
Melaka is not difficult to DIY, just go online for info and directions, then Grab the rest of the way. "Have Internet will travel." =:p

and iirc, somebody told me from larkin to melaka, one way is probably about rm20?
Not sure about outbound from Larkin, but when I was travelling out of Melaka Sentral, some coach companies had SVIP coaches at certain hours. I was told by a staff that there're foreign workers who travel up and down for work daily, so the cheaper ones will see many of them on board. I prefer to travel in comfort and those SVIP coaches don't always travel full load. ;)

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Actually, take coach in sg straight to melaka is not ex. Safe all the trouble of travelling and waiting.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

that somebody is right. redbus website says one way Larking to Malacca Busterminal/Hatten is $7+; for the most expensive ones.
from Sin - Malacca is ~S$30.

No.1AHOLE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just checking if first day of cny I drive in to malacca in the morning, will it jam ? And is there any shops that is open ? TIA

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.