World market index ETF

commie_rick

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im current using iOcbc trading account. how do i buy world market index ETF like VTSAX ? i read on the website that it is traded via vanguard only.

are there similar index etfs for a person trading from singapore?

cassowary18

Reaction score
im current using iOcbc trading account. how do i buy world market index ETF like VTSAX ? i read on the website that it is traded via vanguard only.

VTSAX mutual fund is not available to Singaporeans. You could buy VT, which is the ETF version...but it's not tax appropriate.

An alternative would be VWRA or VWRD. Both owned by Vanguard too, and it tracks a very similar index (without small cap). VWRA is the accumulating version (dividends are automatically reinvested) whereas VWRD is the distributing version (dividends are paid out).

commie_rick

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy iwda from interactive brokers

VTSAX mutual fund is not available to Singaporeans. You could buy VT, which is the ETF version...but it's not tax appropriate.

An alternative would be VWRA or VWRD. Both owned by Vanguard too, and it tracks a very similar index (without small cap). VWRA is the accumulating version (dividends are automatically reinvested) whereas VWRD is the distributing version (dividends are paid out).

I vote for vwra

thanks guys

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
VTSAX mutual fund is not available to Singaporeans.
It probably is, actually -- and not only for Singaporeans who are U.S. residents. U.S. brokers can arrange purchases of Vanguard's mutual funds (often for a fee, which is pretty silly if you're able to go direct to Vanguard since Vanguard doesn't charge any purchase fees), and perhaps some other brokers can as well. But I completely agree that it's only appropriate for U.S. persons, so "never mind."

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

VTSAX is a mutual fund, not an ETF.

There's a thriving ecosystem of low-cost index ETFs that are suitable for non-US investors. They're generally listed in London, traded in USD; you can probably buy them through iOCBC but you'll find them cheaper at Stanchart or DBS Vickers.

For a simple, boring, low-cost global index ETF, IWDA or VWRA is fine. I personally think IWDA is better, because its spread is a little tighter (so it's cheaper to buy or sell).

Okenba

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IWDA isn't global though. More developed world under MSCI. So you will miss countries like China, Korea, Taiwan, etc

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.