Long term Hospitalization during MOP

ussr_1991

Banned
Reaction score
As topic,

BTO flat

- Mother is the owner (Used all her CPF, mortgage based on her salary)
- Son is the essential occupier

Now Mother is hospitalized and no planned discharge date yet after 2 weeks (Unlikely to die anytime soon).

I need to know how this may affect MOP?

Reaction score
As topic,

BTO flat

Now Mother is hospitalized and no planned discharge date yet after 2 weeks (Unlikely to die anytime soon).

so they want to delay MOP extend the lease or want the MOP to fulfill on time so can sell off HDB? i believe either way can be done,just write to HDB to ask for it:)

chewmeyo

Reaction score
For people who forgot it - The Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) is the length of time a buyer of an HDB flat has to stay in it before he can put it up for resale. OTP. OTP stands for the Option To Purchase (OTP) and it is a right offered by a seller of a property to someone that wants to buy their property.

ussr_1991

Banned
Reaction score
so they want to delay MOP extend the lease or want the MOP to fulfill on time so can sell off HDB? i believe either way can be done,just write to HDB to ask for it:)
I dont know.

I am worried if things like warded for a year or even longer, and MOP dont count in during this period....

Reaction score
I dont know.

I am worried if things like warded for a year or even longer, and MOP dont count in during this period....

I think if you don't notify HDB to extend the 99yr lease citing reasons of the lady in hospital then HDB would consider her staying at home all the time and the MOP is still 5yrs from the date she took keys

slashGNR

Reaction score
As topic,

BTO flat

No need to inform HDB...when I bought my first new flat, I left it for 1.5 years...later renovated, moved in, 3.5 years later sold...

Last edited:

Zetrio2006

Master Member
Reaction score
As long as you are paying your Town council fees, utilities bills, property tax and don't collect rental, I don't think Hdb will mind.

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wa HDB wont check if u are really staying there one la..they not so free.

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As topic,

From my limited experience with HDB, they are quite understanding to special cases. GO find out who the estate manager is and go speak with the officer. Or even call/email them.

Note: Although their response time is very slow..... their reason is due to the high workload. Hundreds of request coming in every day.

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It is weird that this is being brought up.

Are you saying no one should become sick, cannot go on long holidays, just because it would affect MOP? It is not as if the owner is trying to do something 'illegal'...

Furthermore, someone is still occupying the flat (assuming it is the son), unless I am wrong about this.

MrCoconut

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 weeks only. People go holidays also got 1 month.

Sent from 8riversuites using GAGT

ussr_1991

Banned
Reaction score
It is weird that this is being brought up.

Are you saying no one should become sick, cannot go on long holidays, just because it would affect MOP? It is not as if the owner is trying to do something 'illegal'...

Furthermore, someone is still occupying the flat (assuming it is the son), unless I am wrong about this.
The context is this.

Mum hospitalized, with a possibility to he institutuonalized for her remaining life.

Essential occupier is one of her son and I am the other son.

I am asking this just to be sure what if my brother (The essential occupier) ever get married assuming that mother never recovered at all and stayed in welfare home or sort of.

EDIT: Given that now, 2.5 years of MOP has passed, it is not so bad if it means extend MOP by 2.5 years....

The worst thing is if ever HDB found out this, neither me nor my sibling reach 35 (Both single) and they try to take back HDB

Last edited:
Reaction score
The context is this.

Mum hospitalized, with a possibility to he institutuonalized for her remaining life.

I am asking this just to be sure what if my brother (The essential occupier) ever get married assuming that mother never recovered at all and stayed in welfare home or sort of.

EDIT: Given that now, 2.5 years of MOP has passed, it is not so bad if it means extend MOP by 2.5 years....

The worst thing is if ever HDB found out this, neither me nor my sibling reach 35 (Both single) and they try to take back HDB

Hi. The way i see it, essential occupier means her name is tied down to the HDB and she can't own or be associated with another subsidized property. It doesn't mean she has to be staying inside the house. I'd probably just maintain her IC address as per the HDB.

I really think you have zero worries.
1. She's not at home because of medical related issues.
2. Her belongings are at home definitely? Just say you're waiting for her to come home? I don't think there's anyway HDB will come after you because of this. If given an option, surely you will want her to be at home with you and your brother?

Reaction score
The context is this.

HDB won't take back the flat unless you sub-let to 20 FWs as a dormitory:s13::s13:

HDB won't even extend the MOP,so you may want to sell it off once MOP completes and split the mony with your brother if that's what you want to know:)

Shingoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HDB won't take back the flat unless you sub-let to 20 FWs as a dormitory:s13::s13:

HDB won't even extend the MOP,so you may want to sell it off once MOP completes and split the mony with your brother if that's what you want to know:)

Agree with most, no worries at all on HDB getting back the flat.

But i dont think they can sell, since the mom is the owner, and she is hospitalised. If she is not in a mental state to decide, it will have to depend on the will / power of attorney?

ussr_1991

Banned
Reaction score
Hi. The way i see it, essential occupier means her name is tied down to the HDB and she can't own or be associated with another subsidized property. It doesn't mean she has to be staying inside the house. I'd probably just maintain her IC address as per the HDB.

I really think you have zero worries.
1. She's not at home because of medical related issues.
2. Her belongings are at home definitely? Just say you're waiting for her to come home? I don't think there's anyway HDB will come after you because of this. If given an option, surely you will want her to be at home with you and your brother?

Thanks for the info.
She is owner and her other son is the essential occupier. Her belongings are still at the current premises.

Based on the replies, at least I am relieved that HDB wont try to take back the unit under the premise that the owner is not physically occupying the unit due to hospitalization.

Selling the unit is not the option as my mum will be required to make up the shortfall for her CPF Life thing (She depleted her OA for this unit). Furthermore, neither me nor my sibiling can get any HDB in 3 years time (Past expected MOP) except marriage which cannot be planned and unlikely for this time frame.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.