Asus Lyra & Singtel TV issue

Nightmares

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My current setup.

ONR -> 1st Lyra

then 2nd Lyra, I try to connect the Singtel TV.

The Singtel TV unable to work, even I set the Lyra in AP mode. Do I really need to get those that stated "works with Singtel TV: https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/broadband/wifimesh"

Nightmares

Reaction score
also not working. However, if I plug the cable(Singtel TV) to the ONR, once I get the correct time display and channel screen is showing, then I plug back the cable to the 1st Lyra, it is ok. Even I try to plug to 2nd Lyra, also ok. However, once I reboot the Singtel TV, it is not working again.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Check this thread : Singtel ONR AP Issues, it could be this issue on post #35

It seems that the same port cannot be use both singtel tv and AP concurrently.
Your Singtel TV should be on another port separate from the AP.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

My current setup.

ONR -> 1st Lyra

then 2nd Lyra, I try to connect the Singtel TV.

The Singtel TV unable to work, even I set the Lyra in AP mode. Do I really need to get those that stated "works with Singtel TV: https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/broadband/wifimesh"

You can try to contact SingTel for help to see if they can provide you the wireless home bridge.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...nic-4/official-mio-tv-thread-2519082-245.html

====
Singtel 11:04 AM 05-03-2019
Featured Sponsor
Hi all,

Our Singtel TV product team explained that the wireless home bridge (WHB) enables wireless connection between our ONR and Singtel TV set top box.

Unlike AirTies which improves general WiFi connectivity, the WHB optimises and prioritises video traffic for a better TV experience. It features beamforming and 4X4 antennas, resulting in low packet error rate, and speeds of up to 600Mbps in most scenarios.

A WHB could be issued to a new customer signing up for an additional Singtel TV set-top box but are facing wiring issues. Therefore, the WHB is not issued by default but is subject to assessment by our field engineers.

Hope this clarifies, thanks.
===

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check this thread : Singtel ONR AP Issues, it could be this issue on post #35

It seems that the same port cannot be use both singtel tv and AP concurrently.
Your Singtel TV should be on another port separate from the AP.

That is a very good thread on SingTel TV and SingTel ONR.

The following explains why you can only have Internet or Mio TV but not both from one single ONR port without some special switch in between or with SingTel supported WiFi Mesh solution.

With the Lyra in between, ONR can not detect the Singtel TV but only Lyra, so it configure the port as Internet port. So you will not be able to use SingTel TV box, either from the first Lyra or the 2nd Lyra.

====
miloaisdino 05:15 PM 29-04-2018
For new huawei onr, i believe the static route is based on port level, not ip address as b4. Hence when it detect iptv on the port the whole port switch to iptv. More info can be found here http://support.huawei.com/hedex/res...C0520P/04/resources/feature/feature_2206.html
===

Last edited:

Nightmares

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the info. I will take a look and see which solution can resolve my issue. Cheers.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, end up is "special" restriction by SingTel to work on "supported devices" only

This is why I stay far far away from telcos like these. Last time is VLAN, then ONR and now this kind of walled garden

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, end up is "special" restriction by SingTel to work on "supported devices" only

This is why I stay far far away from telcos like these. Last time is VLAN, then ONR and now this kind of walled garden

I understand what you mean. I switched from Starhub Cable online to Singtel Fibre many years ago and I had to deal with lousy Singtel issued router (2-wire and Pace) for a few years before I gave up and switched to Linksys WRT1900AC in 2014. Now I still use the Linksys but added a pair of cheap S$99 TP-Link Deco M4 mesh early this year.

But Asus Lyra is also flawed as a high cost mesh yet do not work with Vlan. Take note Netgear Orbi supports SingTel TV and it is a standard product, not the ugly Singtel Mesh running customized FW for SingTel.

I read somewhere there was a Vlan enabled beta FW for Lyra, but not so sure if it is available to the public and whether it can support Singtel TV even with Vlan support.

Vlan is pretty commonly used by Telcos offering IPTV. Even Starhub uses Vlan for the Fibre TV so you need special configuration (default to Fibre TV for ONT port 2 with Vlan. ONT port 1 for Internet without Vlan) if you want internet on the same port.

I will say Starhub implementation is less common than Singtel. And many IPTV providers do not support wireless connections, including Starhub. So SingTel is actually not bad in this aspect.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But if you do not need Fibre TV, then yes no point stick with Singtel, go for M1 or Whizzcomms or others (not Viewquest though, :s13: ).

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...So based on your post, the issue is the ONR cannot detect tv box unless through supported singtel wifi device. And because ONR activates the port for internet rather than tv service.

Assuming TS bought a 3 pc lyra, I wonder, would it work if he or she setup like so:

ONR to 1 x lyra to tv box
ONR to the other 2 lyra for internet

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...So based on your post, the issue is the ONR cannot detect tv box unless through supported singtel wifi device. And because ONR activates the port for internet rather than tv service.

Assuming TS bought a 3 pc lyra, I wonder, would it work if he or she setup like so:

I think it will not work if Lyra wireless is involved. But no problem trying.

ONR (any port) to SingTel TV box will work.

ONR to dumb switch to TV box will work.

ONR to SingTel AC Plus (AP mode) to TV box with Ethernet connection will work. Because AC Plus has Singtel customized FW.

ONR to SingTel AC Plus (AP mode) to TV box with wireless connection is not supported by SingTel. I believe it may not work or at least not work well.

ONR to Powerline Adapter to Poweline Adapter to SingTel TV box is not supported by SingTel but it might work.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hopefully experts like miloaisdino can chime in to give a definite answer.

Nightmares

Reaction score

Actually I try ONR to 1 x lyra to tv box(no matter if I plug the cable to the WAN/LAN port or the LAN port of the lyra), it don't work. Once I unplug the cable from the lyra, connect the cable directly(means ONR -> Singtel). Then once I get the time sync(singtel tv box) and also check that my TV able to get signal, I unplug from the ONR, connect to the Singtel TV, the TV signal is ok. Of course if I reboot the singtel box, the time will not be sync again and tv signal wont restore back.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.