Wechat wallet

kbwang

Reaction score
Wechat pay seems to accept foreign card now. I added a mastercard and able to enable it. haven't try using it in China yet.
Unfortunately it's still no working.. sorry..can show QR code but when merchant scan.. it failed

ngml

Reaction score
Can I check for those who already can do wechat pay in China, are you also able to pay in Singapore with your wechat?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I check for those who already can do wechat pay in China, are you also able to pay in Singapore with your wechat?

Yes you can carry out transactions in Singapore or other places which accept WeChat Pay.

SibehHL

Reaction score
In my case; Singapore phone number + Chinese bank card unable to use in Singapore, such as the fresh orange juice vending machines or payment on Steam. But I managed to use it in China though

My Chinese phone number + Chinese bank card can be used in Singapore + China

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In my case; Singapore phone number + Chinese bank card unable to use in Singapore, such as the fresh orange juice vending machines or payment on Steam. But I managed to use it in China though

My Chinese phone number + Chinese bank card can be used in Singapore + China

Interesting. My WeChat is with Singapore phone number linked with Singapore bank credit card.

I can no longer top up any more since July this year due to the fact it is not linked to a China bank card.

But I can still use it to pay for QQ Music VIP, send red packets (not receive), and transfer out (not receive) here in Singapore. But I never tried to pay other things in Singapore.

I used it also in China to pay street vendors last Dec and I am going to China in two weeks time and I believe I can still use it to pay.

icycokes

Reaction score
I somehow managed to pay some vendors with Wechat pay (Singapore Credit Card, Singapore mobile number).

It worked for Didi red packet and 便利蜂, a convenience store in China. However, when I tried using it in a small coffee shop, it didn't work.

I uploaded my selfie, passport details.. You guys may wanna give it a try.

djoker

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am abit confused regarding wechat pay. hopefully someone can lend a helping hand here.

1) Can I just link my non-china (Revolut Visa in my case) credit card to wechat pay and then scan QR code and pay for anything using that credit card in china via wechat pay? Something like paypal.

2) If no, does it mean I have to top up my wechat pay wallet via my Revolut visa and use the wallet balance to pay for things in china?

Reading the previous posts here, wechatpay using international credit card is limited to things like transport only, street vendors/merchants not allowed. Is this true for both cases 1 and 2 I stated above?

If possible, I would like to be able to use option 1. Directly takes from my Revolut Visa without having to top up my wallet.

Thanks guys..

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am abit confused regarding wechat pay. hopefully someone can lend a helping hand here.

1) Can I just link my non-china (Revolut Visa in my case) credit card to wechat pay and then scan QR code and pay for anything using that credit card in china via wechat pay? Something like paypal.

2) If no, does it mean I have to top up my wechat pay wallet via my Revolut visa and use the wallet balance to pay for things in china?

Reading the previous posts here, wechatpay using international credit card is limited to things like transport only, street vendors/merchants not allowed. Is this true for both cases 1 and 2 I stated above?

If possible, I would like to be able to use option 1. Directly takes from my Revolut Visa without having to top up my wallet.

Thanks guys..

1) Not possible. Your visa card is not able to use to pay street vendors
2) Not possible. Not possible to top up with your Visa card.

You can only top up with unofficial 3rd party services.

sesame246

Reaction score
i just came back from Shanghai.

i hv signed up alipay tourpass, Didi before the trip but i didnt use them.

Except for hotel which was paid by credit card, I paid by cash for all others. no problem at all. So i hv to wait for 30 days to get refund for my tourpass top up.

I tried to use Didi to book a cab, but run into issue, apps somehow cannot accept my credit card. I was successful in linking it to wechat pay. However i messed it up when i tried to change the credit card in wechat pay and the apps blocked me for updating until the next day. Nevertheless, i managed to book a metered taxi using Didi and pay in cash at the end of the trip.

also to note that Didi cannot be linked to tourpass, only alipay wallet.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can topup via katochat if cant receive red packet?

You mean Katocard or some 3rd party top up services, right?

Yes I hear that they are still working— no idea how they work though. And take note they are not authorised by either Tencent or Singapore authorities.

The exchange rate may be bad as well.

If you only need small amount, sign up AliPay Tourpass, up to RMB5000 and valid for 90days.

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
You mean Katocard or some 3rd party top up services, right?

Yes I hear that they are still working— no idea how they work though. And take note they are not authorised by either Tencent or Singapore authorities.

The exchange rate may be bad as well.

If you only need small amount, sign up AliPay Tourpass, up to RMB5000 and valid for 90days.

ya typo. i mean katocard. u tried b4 and worked? My friend tried to send me red packet but i cannot redeem.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya typo. i mean katocard. u tried b4 and worked? My friend tried to send me red packet but i cannot redeem.

I do not want to try unauthorized services myself.

I still got enough balance in my Wechat Wallet (RMB2600) so no hurry for me to fix the top up issues. I can not top up either but I can at least spend the balance slowly, for my app payment and street vendor payment for the upcoming annual trip to China.

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
I do not want to try unauthorized services myself.

I still got enough balance in my Wechat Wallet (RMB2600) so no hurry for me to fix the top up issues. I can not top up either but I can at least spend the balance slowly, for my app payment and street vendor payment for the upcoming annual trip to China.

Just tried charging 50rmb with NPN. Couldnt receive the red packet. Wasted $12.

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
Yup just maintain about 500 RMB inside.

Btw take note that many remittance services now can only remit funds to China accounts registered to mainland China IDs. Before last weekend BOC sg can still transfer to China accounts opened with passports. Apparently there was a new regulation in China few days ago. The ones below will not work:

- DBS China remit
- BOC sg RMB pre-settlement account
- Worldremit
- Transferwise
- Worldfirst

Xendpay still works for now.

how about instarem, revolut, ofx etc.?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.