Android TV Box

mmchaisi

Reaction score
I’m running Prime Video on my Mibox. You have to side load apk. Doesn’t work too well with remote and sometimes you’ll have to use a mouse to select your video. Casting from phone app may be more convenient.

tried to install amazon video apk to my mibox s, cannot load. then i found out that amazon video doesn't work with tv box, but apparently there's something in the works, with the new update.

anyone tried?

i'll go back and check it out.

sidenote; am i able to manually search for updates for the mibox?

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^

i get the same problems, thought i suay, so it app problem, yea, the app quite ****, and sometimes no sound, sometimes hang, i actually haven't watched 1 complete program yet.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^

i get the same problems, thought i suay, so it app problem, yea, the app quite ****, and sometimes no sound, sometimes hang, i actually haven't watched 1 complete program yet.

amazon never allow you to install on mibox.

amazon only allow you to chromecast from phone to mibox.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
amazon never allow you to install on mibox.

amazon only allow you to chromecast from phone to mibox.

They are rolling out to more Android TV OS devices, hopefully Mi Box S will get it soon.

https://www.blog.google/products/chromecast/prime-video-chromecast-android-tv-youtube-fire-tv/

Amazon Fire TV devices will get YouTube and Google Chromecast and Android TV OS devices will get Amazon Prime Video (rolling out to Chromecast first and selected Android TV).

=======
Article written on 9 July 2019
In addition to the select Android TV devices that currently have Prime Video, many more Android TV smart TVs, set-top boxes and streaming devices will also soon have Prime Video, with rollout starting today. You can download Prime Video by clicking the app icon directly from your home screen or in Google Play.
========

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They are rolling out to more Android TV OS devices, hopefully Mi Box S will get it soon.

https://www.blog.google/products/chromecast/prime-video-chromecast-android-tv-youtube-fire-tv/

Amazon Fire TV devices will get YouTube and Google Chromecast and Android TV OS devices will get Amazon Prime Video (rolling out to Chromecast first and selected Android TV).

=======
Article written on 9 July 2019
In addition to the select Android TV devices that currently have Prime Video, many more Android TV smart TVs, set-top boxes and streaming devices will also soon have Prime Video, with rollout starting today. You can download Prime Video by clicking the app icon directly from your home screen or in Google Play.
========

wait until you can find it in playstore, else you can only chromecast. nothing wrong with the app, amazon purposely make it not workable if sideload handphone version, or shield version.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is fire tv stick still worth buying ? since Netflix etc is available in most newer TV sets nowadays

If your goal is just Netflix and the apps on the smart TV, then probably no need.

It all depends on the apps you want to use and the TV you are using.

Samsung/LG smart TV have limited apps available and in reality are not so smart. For example, even if your goal is Netflix, US Netflix to be exact, you need apps like VPN (say to access US Netflix). But the VPN apps are not available. So you have to go through extra steps. In the end you may find it is good to buy Mi Box S or Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K as the companion to enjoy more apps.

Ref: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...strictly-no-referral-allowed-3807778-232.html

VPN is just one example. TVB Anywhere+ is another example, you need to use Android TV based TV or box like Mi Box S (not recommended to use FireTV Stick).

SingTel Cast is available on Samsung TV but not LG. So that is another example.

There are many examples.

On the other hand, if your TV runs Android TV OS (eg: SonyTV) have lots of apps from the store or can side load apps. In that case you may not need an Android TV boxes. That being said, you may still find it good to have an Android TV boxes necessary if your model has sluggish performance after loading more apps.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is fire tv stick still worth buying ? since Netflix etc is available in most newer TV sets nowadays

Another thing, in Singapore context, Mi Box S is usually a better choice than Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, mainly because it supports Chromecast (to cast to TV for apps like Srarhub Go), and natively support apps like SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast and TVB Anywhere+.

As for the basic FireTV Stick (not 4k), they are not recommended because of low HW specifications. FireTV Stick 4K is good, especially if you get at lower cost from Amazon. But you may want to check your needs and see if it is better to buy Mi Box S instead.

elanwy

Reaction score
What's an affordable box with a fast chip and SD card slot, if want to play some games? I am comparing the generic Android boxes and Minix, but Minix seems to be the same models from few years ago, dunno if worth buying.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's an affordable box with a fast chip and SD card slot, if want to play some games? I am comparing the generic Android boxes and Minix, but Minix seems to be the same models from few years ago, dunno if worth buying.

If you want really to play some serious games, you may want to look at Nvidia Shield TV for best experience. Or just buy Nintendo Switch.

For general Android games, S922X based boxes should be good enough and better than Minix S912 based NEO U9-H or S905X2 based latest Minix NEO T5.

You can look at Beelink GT-King, said to be good enough for games like pubg and emulators until Wii.

https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt-king/

https://troypoint.com/beelink-gt-king/

Last edited:

elanwy

Reaction score
For general Android games, S922X based boxes should be good enough and better than Minix S912 based NEO U9-H or S905X2 based latest Minix NEO T5.

You can look at Beelink GT-King, said to be good enough for games like pubg and emulators until Wii.

Thanks xiaofan! Saw your previous messages on this thread. Very useful.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/12/11/google-adt-3-developer-tv-box-android-tv-on-android-10/

Google did not provide the full specifications, but ADT-3 is equipped with a quad-core Cortex A53 processor coupled with 2GB DDR3 memory, and supports 4Kp60 HDR video playback and output via an HDMI 2.1 output port. That probably means the box is powered by an Amlogic S905X2 processor since few other TV box SoCs combine 4x A53 cores with HDMI 2.1.

The device is pre-certified, and will receive updates and security patches to help developers design applications for the next generation of Android TV devices, and ensure compatibility.

Google ADT-3 will not be sold to consumers, only developers, which will be able to purchase the kit through an OEM partner.

Announcement page:
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/12/android-10-on-android-tv.html?m=1

Last edited:

pete10pete

Reaction score
can share this reliable iptv contact with me please. thank you.

Yea man, but i manage to get one dealer who deal with MYIPTV at low
price. After transfer within 1min u get the PinCODE.

Trustable and been with him for 2years and still active.

Cheers.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alternative to Android TV boxes. Take note Amazon FireTV devices runs Android and Starhub Go Streaming Box runs Android TV OS.

This is to complement my posts in Page 94 of this thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-show-central-sitex-2019-394/android-tv-box-5678618-94.html

1. SingTel TV box and Starhub boxes, no 4K contents.

User friendly, subscription may be expensive especially for sports related packages.

2. Apple TV 4k
Netflix 4k supported but not YouTube 4K. Very good for Apple users. But there are less apps available for example IPTV and VPN apps.

3. Google Chromecast dongle and Chromecast Ultra (4k)

Good for the apps supported the Google Cast protocol. Chromecast Ultra is rather pricy for the function but it does support Ethernet for more stable streaming.

4. HTPC
Very flexible with all kinds of apps. More difficult to set up.

5. Gaming console like Xbox One S /X and PS4 /PS4 Pro.

Capable stream box but still lacks apps.

6.Samsung/LG smart TV

Very good for Netflix for high picture quality. Lack of apps, for example VPN.

7. Smart TV running Google Android TV OS, like those from Sony and TCL.

Good app support but need to be careful not to install too many apps which may slow down the system.

8. Smart TV running on modified Android OS, like Xiaomi Patchwall based smart TV.

Not as good as Android TV OS if you need Netflix 4K and YouTube 4k.

9. Roku device
Very good in US but not as good in Singapore.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apple TV
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/apple-clinic-5/apple-tv-4-a-5209888-61.html

Latest Android TV boxes.
1) Nvidia Shield TV is still king of Android TV boxes.
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 is good for streaming.
Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 is good for gaming.

2) Latest Amlogic S922X (or similar) based boxes
Amazon FireTV Cube Gen 2 2019 is a very good device on the higher end (FireTV Stick 4K is good value in the low end side).

Then there are boxes like Beelink GT-King and GT-King Pro, Ugoos AM6 and AM6 Pro. They are pretty good boxes but may not really worth buying unless you want to play more demanding Android games.

3) New Amlogic S905X3 based box like Beelink GT1 Mini 2, ugoos design X3 Cube and Tanix TX3 are out and will be even more popular and lower cost in 2020. This will make it not worth buying generic boxes based on other CPUs.

4) Unfortunately other than the new Nvidia Shield TV 2019, there are no really much new boxes running official Android TV boxes and certified by Netflix. So Mi Box S remains the best value under sub-S$100.

5) Amazon FireTV Stick 4k is still of good value. Amazon FireTV Cube 2nd Gen is also worth looking at.

Last edited:

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
You can also consider (pre-loved) Nvidia Shield TV 2017, it can be under $200.

Even the 2015 version still wins the latest boxes.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can also consider (pre-loved) Nvidia Shield TV 2017, it can be under $200.

Even the 2015 version still wins the latest boxes.
also Nvidia's support is top notch!
out of warranty console. bricked while updating. they replace it foc.
even fedex the shipping and return... u just need to print the pickup slip they prepared and call fedex to pick up the package
and u'll get ur new console + a new power adaptor in 2 days ^^

sgbdk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just brought a samsung qled tv and learnt that samsung remote can be program to control android tv boxes as well, however evpad is not under the listed brand when trying to setup the ONEREMOTE function. Anyone have luck how to use samsung remote to control evpad?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.