Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FlyVPN was mentioned before as being good at going into China (eg: to access iQiyi, Recent Video and Youku geo-block contents) because it has lots of servers in China (116). This is a unique feature among VPN companies. purevpn and IVacy only have a few servers in China.

FlyVPN offers 14days free trial. I tested the free servers in China and indeed it works. Speed is so-so but at least good for me to stream 1080p video.

There are other dedicated VPN to go into China, Transocks and SpeedIn are the more well-known one. Then there are other choices like SpeedCN and UfunR. All these are single purpose VPN.

FlyVPN can be an alternative solution if you are worried about the security/privacy of using Transocks/SpeedIn/etc.

FlyVPN also offers good number of servers in other regions of Asia, HK, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc. They also have servers in US, and then a few servers here and there but not strong.

Reviews in the Internet is bad in general. But I think the reviews miss the China/Asia focus of FlyVPN.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is free to try out FlyVPN for 14days on the free servers (34, including quite a few China servers).
https://www.flyvpn.com/

They also provide free VPN service, one hour (3 * 20 minutes) per day.

====== From FlyVPN website =====
FlyVPN provides numerous long-term free servers in a variety of countries, including the United States, China, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam and Portugal, to name just a few. In addition to one hour of free use per day, new registered users have 14 days of unlimited use on a mobile device.
=====

Last edited:

jt2901

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in cheap nordvpn, shopback has an offer for 85% cashback on purchase. Available till 15th Nov.

DoorHanger

Reaction score
Interested in the surfshark VPN, any chance the $0.80 promo still on? gonna use it for netflix. or is there any other recommendations?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just an update, contacted purevpn online support and the support is pretty good (first guy does not know but the second guy is precise to the point). They provided the solution for Windows and Android by providing two dedicated server IP addresses and one of them works. I will ask for iOS solution later.

Speed is so so but at least works for 720p streaming of Youku (tested with 长安十二时辰 under Windows).

Haha, now the US$11.88 is totally worth it.

That being said, not recommend others to get purevpn. Some old comments mentioned as "pureCrap" if compared to better VPNs.

An update, the provided solution for Android and iOS manual OS VPN configuration do not work for me.

Edit: change the protocol and it works under Android but the speed is slow.

Under Windows, the provided dedicated IP (detected as China Telecom Shanghai) works fine within the Windows app.

Speedtest with China Telecom and China Unicom speed test servers shows download speed of about 37Mbps and upload speed of only 0.4Mbps.

Streaming 1080p Youku is not okay. Only 720p. Found out Youku now provides 4k option for VIP under Windows. 4k option used to be only for TV version 酷喵影视 VIP.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
0 to 30 days can cancel with refund. after that 2 years.

That is a very good deal. Thanks.

I will keep Surfshark in mind once I am fed up with purevpn (US$11.88 one year subscription offer).

But mostly I am hopping to get a good offer for Going-into-China VPN like FlyVPN or Transocks or SpeedIn.

SpeedIn 快帆 VIP: US$40.98 for 450days (360 days plus 90days free promotion), 3 device

Transocks 穿梭 VIP:US$60.98 one year, 3 device.

SpeedCN Gold member: US$48 per year 2 device and claims to support 2k.

SpeedCN Diamond member: US$96 per year 4 device and claims to support 4k.

UfunR: free now

FlyVPN: US$80 per year

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Windscribe offers Windscribe VPN Service (20GB per Month) for Free when you follow the directions below.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are currently on a free subscription for any amount greater than 20GB/month, using this promo will downgrade your plan to 20GB/month for free.

Instructions:
Click here to sign up then fill out your username, password and email
Under "Have a Voucher?", enter code EXPAND20
Select "Create Free Account"
Separately, you will get an email immediately sent to the email provided in step 1, click the link in the email to confirm
Once you confirm email from step 4, your account dashboard should now display the 20GB limit
If needed, you may claim the voucher code by clicking "My Account" (top right side of page), "Claim Voucher" and then entering the voucher code EXPAND20

https://windscribe.com/

Sent from Samsung SM-N975F using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Windscribe 20GB free account is one of the best free VPN out there, very good for web browsing security (eg: public WiFi) and a bit of streaming too.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have watched some YouTube videos by some Chinese Youtubers.

One of them is getting above 500Mbps -600Mbps download speed from SS/V2Ray servers hosted on Google Cloud VPS in HK/TW, from their home broadband of 500Mbps (which can reach 600Mbps max).

This is pretty impressive. He also tested Wireguard which gets about 100Mbps.

A few things he mentioned.
1) using software router (eg: low end x86 machine running OpenWRT based distribution) is faster than using HW router

2) client device CPU plays a part as encryption/description needs CPU power

3) VPS is of course very important. For free options Google Cloud is the best (US$300 per year free).

4) SS/V2Ray protocol is faster than Wireguard.

Take note SS/V2Ray are very popular in China because traditional VPN apps and OpenVPN servers are often blocked. Now it is said that even SS servers are easily blocked so they have to add things on top of SS to bypass GFW.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.