Status
Not open for further replies.

voux00

Reaction score
Hmm looks like it's the Nas.

I plugged the faulty second hard disk into the third slot

And the third slot hard disk into the second slot

Second slot refused to light up and detect

Third slot with the "faulty" second wd hard disk lights up immediately.

Thanks all.

Black Fri coming soon haha.

Posted from PCWX using POCOPHONE F1

There's a possibility it's just the Bay 2 SATA adapter/connector that needs replacing. If so, u can call distributors like ACE Peripherals and ask them to quote how much it'd cost to replace... I've replaced once b4 for my DS413j cos of similar issue.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's a possibility it's just the Bay 2 SATA adapter/connector that needs replacing. If so, u can call distributors like ACE Peripherals and ask them to quote how much it'd cost to replace... I've replaced once b4 for my DS413j cos of similar issue.

Was it very expensive for you?

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok the ds918+ from storage studio came

Disassembled the ds416play to retrieve the 1g ram and put it in.

Put in the disk order 1+4 into ds918+. Hit migrate and all my settings are still there. Still repairing the raid volume tho 10 hrs later.

Dunno whether to consider asking for the sata daughter board of the ds416play and sell or keep as spare or simply recycle.

voux00

Reaction score
Was it very expensive for you?

Why dont u call SS and ask if they do repair too since u just bought from them?

Ok the ds918+ from storage studio came

Disassembled the ds416play to retrieve the 1g ram and put it in.

Put in the disk order 1+4 into ds918+. Hit migrate and all my settings are still there. Still repairing the raid volume tho 10 hrs later.

Dunno whether to consider asking for the sata daughter board of the ds416play and sell or keep as spare or simply recycle.

If the volume crashed earlier, it'll take a while to repair - larger/more disks = longer. Just leave it be and go lim kopi first bah...

https://www.synology.com/en-global/...orageManager/storage_pool_adjust_resync_speed

If you alr have access to DSM, can try setting "Run RAID resync faster" - it should speed up the repair. Just revert back to original option after.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why dont u call SS and ask if they do repair too since u just bought from them?

If the volume crashed earlier, it'll take a while to repair - larger/more disks = longer. Just leave it be and go lim kopi first bah...

https://www.synology.com/en-global/k...t_resync_speed

If you alr have access to DSM, can try setting "Run RAID resync faster" - it should speed up the repair. Just revert back to original option after.

Oh ok

Haha I just left it on the entire of last night and came back at 8pm and it's done repairing raid already

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
wow.. i had 2 toshiba 4tb had issue together..
it has bad sector!!

while my red WD is alive now

btw. where to get Toshiba 6tb?

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
dunno should get
Toshiba NAS N300
or

WD NAS

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ghgan1

Reaction score
Get the WD 8tb ext less than $180, and open up and slot in your nas, but might need to mod the power pin.

https://www.amazon.sg/gp/product/B07D5V2ZXD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it seen like my Toshiba 4tb not really tht gd :p

it down together.... so dunno should i get Toshiba a nt

can i put a mix of
first drive = WD + Toshiba ?

This one only 219 but see amazon review like very bad
https://www.lazada.sg/products/toshiba-nas-n300-hard-disk-46810tb-i312108511-s570628482.html?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
warranty void a not?? but buy oversea mean no sg warranty

ghgan1

Reaction score
So far I got good experience with WD NAS HDD, my 4TB HDD red already more than 5 yrs still in operation. You may write to WD Singapore to transfer the warranty region and it is subject to approval. Anyway the amazon usa review is good for this type of WD ext HDD which is a red disk and label as white. A lot of buyers are using it for their NAS and also youtube got a lot video that teach you how to open the case. For a price of 8tb red, you can almost buy 2 unit of this 8tb ext hdd, the hassle to remove it from the case is worth the price.

warranty void a not?? but buy oversea mean no sg warranty

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Will check it out..

so far, i got 1 tio bad sector and need rma :s13:

So far I got good experience with WD NAS HDD, my 4TB HDD red already more than 5 yrs still in operation. You may write to WD Singapore to transfer the warranty region and it is subject to approval. Anyway the amazon usa review is good for this type of WD ext HDD which is a red disk and label as white. A lot of buyers are using it for their NAS and also youtube got a lot video that teach you how to open the case. For a price of 8tb red, you can almost buy 2 unit of this 8tb ext hdd, the hassle to remove it from the case is worth the price.

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no point buying ext hdd and shuck them for NAS, pple use them as archival drives which means fewer access and reads after filling them up for storage. Those drives are 5400rpm and won't be as durable for 24/7 operations.

acechub

Reaction score
no point buying ext hdd and shuck them for NAS, pple use them as archival drives which means fewer access and reads after filling them up for storage. Those drives are 5400rpm and won't be as durable for 24/7 operations.

i am not into nas but minor flamebait spotted.

it is not about buying any ext hdd rather it is about getting a wd red from inside one.

how does 5400rpm hdd be less durable? common sense means they use less power therefore less heat and quieter and their lifespan can turn out to be longer than drives that spin at higher rpm not to mention it is less expensive too.

tian800

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having a DS218 with 2x 8TB HDD.

How can I tell if I am using both disk? e.g. 1x8TB for data and 1x8TB for backup??

I'm just worried that I'm only using 1 disk. Then no redundancy liao...

7QqELKi.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.